Centennial Cougars? Region 6-5a

Varsity4

I heard over the weekend that Kemp will not play football this coming year to focus on his baseball career. Any truth to this? A friend of his told me this. If so Cougars may have no chance in 09!

Let me see if I can answer a few questions on the board. I have a pretty good source, and I am assuming he is telling truthful information.

Kemp apparantly has had some baseball scholarship offers from some pretty nice colleges. While baseball seems to be the kid's passion, Kemp WILL play football in 09.

No Scales? No problem! I say this jokingly, but there is someone who may can fill the void somewhat. T.J. Leach is a sophomore quarterback with talent and speed. He played some defense for the varsity last year and as a freshmen quarterbacked the freshmen team to a near perfect season. He helped beat both Frankllin and Brentwood on the freshmen level for the first time in Centennial's history. Now I realize you are putting quite a weight on this kid's shoulders as a sophomore, but I hear the kid has character to handle it.

Centennial's strength in the defense? The Cougars should finally be able to stop folks on a consistent basis. On the front line, they have at least one All Region player returning in DE Carpenter. They also will have the big kid (#78 or #76) coming back from injury along with DT Hellewell who is a 300lb monster. The secondary will still consist of at least T.J. Leach and Spallinger who is a LOCKDOWN corner. The major concern may be at LB where I believe all graduated but depth is plentiful.

Last but not least, I heard from a buddy of mine in the Fairview area that their old head coach is joining the Cougar staff. This may be considered more of a rumor though. Can anyone back up this rumor?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me see if I can answer a few questions on the board. I have a pretty good source, and I am assuming he is telling truthful information.

Kemp apparantly has had some baseball scholarship offers from some pretty nice colleges. While baseball seems to be the kid's passion, Kemp WILL play football in 09.

No Scales? No problem! I say this jokingly, but there is someone who may can fill the void somewhat. T.J. Leach is a sophomore quarterback with talent and speed. He played some defense for the varsity last year and as a freshmen quarterbacked the freshmen team to a near perfect season. He helped beat both Frankllin and Brentwood on the freshmen level for the first time in Centennial's history. Now I realize you are putting quite a weight on this kid's shoulders as a sophomore, but I hear the kid has character to handle it.

Centennial's strength in the defense? The Cougars should finally be able to stop folks on a consistent basis. On the front line, they have at least one All Region player returning in DE Carpenter. They also will have the big kid (#78 or #76) coming back from injury along with DT Hellewell who is a 300lb monster. The secondary will still consist of at least T.J. Leach and Spallinger who is a LOCKDOWN corner. The major concern may be at LB where I believe all graduated but depth is plentiful.

Last but not least, I heard from a buddy of mine in the Fairview area that their old head coach is joining the Cougar staff. This may be considered more of a rumor though. Can anyone back up this rumor?

Well call me crazy....BUT I just dont see it...IfCentennial is going to compete...they will have to prove it.....i Just do not see any type of Talent of defense as of yet.....I hope I am wrong...BUT....

• 3 weeks later...

Is it by the whole 11-AAA region or just among the 5A schools? Because the way I was told made it sound like it is just 5A standings (i.e. whoever wins gets the spot by default)

I heard this week that the TSSAA does not even know if Centennial and Hillsboro will have a spot in the playoffs. They are still working it out.

I heard this week that the TSSAA does not even know if Centennial and Hillsboro will have a spot in the playoffs. They are still working it out.

What? No

Look, District 11-AAA is just like having East and West divisions in the SEC, its just that they are spilt up by 6A and 5A rankings for the post season. So say if Hillsboro beats Centennial, ok, Centennial can still make the playoffs if they have a better 11-AAA record than Hillsboro. Two teams out of the 6A teams (FHS, IHS, BHS, & RHS) will make the playoffs and one team out of the 5A(CHS & HHS) will make the playoffs.

And about Tony K. and the whole baseball situation, i think he should quit football and play baseball, he is a great football player..... on the high school level but he is an awesome baseball player and like one of you said he will get a big time scholarship from a big time school. I have heard about too many people ruining their careers or potential because they got hurt playing another sport.

bump

Two things:

1)What is the bump reference all about? I'm new to the message board world.

2)Again if my source is accurate, this is the best weight lifting year Centennial has ever had. I'm not saying that there are several 300 pound benchers, but they have more guys with decent strength than they have ever had in the past.

Centennial could have a very interesting program the next few years since they have been placed in 5A and are now OPEN ZONED!

Two things:

1)What is the bump reference all about? I'm new to the message board world.

2)Again if my source is accurate, this is the best weight lifting year Centennial has ever had. I'm not saying that there are several 300 pound benchers, but they have more guys with decent strength than they have ever had in the past.

Centennial could have a very interesting program the next few years since they have been placed in 5A and are now OPEN ZONED!

That's good to know they're hittin the weight room. It really does pay off come time fall. But the whole "bump" phrase just allows the topic to go back to the top of the list of topics in the thread, in other words the most recent topic someone has posted on. But it also years for more discussion about the topic at hand.

That's good to know they're hittin the weight room. It really does pay off come time fall. But the whole "bump" phrase just allows the topic to go back to the top of the list of topics in the thread, in other words the most recent topic someone has posted on. But it also years for more discussion about the topic at hand.

Thanks for the clarification sleeper.

I'm not sure of your source sirlancealot but Queen Gwynevere told me that Tony is in.

I tend to trust the Queen since she is part of the family.

I understand his situation, and it would be tough to risk injury. On the other hand, it would be tough to play all these years only to skip your senior year.

It's good to know that Tony is going to make one last run of it in 09.

What? No

Look, District 11-AAA is just like having East and West divisions in the SEC, its just that they are spilt up by 6A and 5A rankings for the post season. So say if Hillsboro beats Centennial, ok, Centennial can still make the playoffs if they have a better 11-AAA record than Hillsboro. Two teams out of the 6A teams (FHS, IHS, BHS, & RHS) will make the playoffs and one team out of the 5A(CHS & HHS) will make the playoffs.

And about Tony K. and the whole baseball situation, i think he should quit football and play baseball, he is a great football player..... on the high school level but he is an awesome baseball player and like one of you said he will get a big time scholarship from a big time school. I have heard about too many people ruining their careers or potential because they got hurt playing another sport.

It's my understanding that if Hillsboro and Centennial are to make the playoffs, they would have achieve at least one of the following:

1. Finish in the top two places in the district

2. Secure a playoff spot through a wild-card designation

There is no automatic 5A qualifier because there are only two 5A playoff teams in the district. If I'm wrong, please correct me and point me to where the correct information is.

• 2 weeks later...

Still have to play the same teams, just go 5A once playoffs start. Might give them a chance since Brentwood and Franklin are in 6A and the Rutherford County schools are all 6A.

Will be real TOUGH though! We will see what life without Scales is like! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />