Catholic football

Irish423

I WOULD TAKE ROGERS OR BLAKELY OVER COLEMAN ANY DAY OF THE WEEK. COLEMAN WILL BE EASY TO REPLACE.

I'm not exactly sure you understand that Rogers and Blakely GOT ALL THEIR YARDS BEHIND COLEMAN, DUH!

You say you are an AC fan? Watched many games this year? /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW!! if this is true why in the world would you turn down 2 D1 schools AIRFORCE or LOUISVILLE to go play at Carson Newman or Tusculum.. Ill tell you why because its not true.. i've heard him talk about it but never seen anything.. yeah he is good but not D1 good.. yeah im a Mav fan. Yes kerr would not throw it to him but why would he throw it to him when they have #6 josh wilson and #10 J.B. Young.. in my opinion coleman was not the best player on the team. as a fullback he could not block to save his life.

And if he would have taken Daniel Hoods legs out on that screen pass instead of going head up and getting stiffed arm and KNOCKED DOWN then we would have won that ball game and we would have won state..

How do you figure that you all would have won state if you would have beaten Catholic? White House was a very strong team up front... HUGE and your line is not that great... and Memphis Mitchell would have stomped you. I don't think you all understand. Even if you would have beat us yeah you would have beaten AE but not White House and definitely not Memphis Mitchell, who has speed, and that's exactly what AC doesn't really have is break away speed. I even had one of the AC coaches tell me himself that your guys' team speed isn't that great... sorry. Off this topic. Coleman never got offered by Airforce or Louisville im sorry to say it cause i don't really like talking about people but it is false information given out. He might have gotten some calls, but no offers. Who would turn down the University of Louisville for Tusculum College? I sure as heck wouldn't.

HappyHour22, Irish423, etc.

Who is next? Maynard, Lambert, Julian...not good enough for the principal as DC? Holtz, Davie, Willingham? Thanks.

ruse?

More of the current staff was notified that they wouldn't be retained next year. You can only have so many PE, Weight Lifting and Drivers ED teachers. They need to make sure there were some spots open for the new coach to complete his staff. One disadvantage of a small school that is academically oriented is that you actually need teachers that perform in the classroom.

Holding out for Weiss or Rocke at the current moment /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

More of the current staff was notified that they wouldn't be retained next year. You can only have so many PE, Weight Lifting and Drivers ED teachers. They need to make sure there were some spots open for the new coach to complete his staff. One disadvantage of a small school that is academically oriented is that you actually need teachers that perform in the classroom.

Holding out for Weiss or Rocke at the current moment /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Who are the unemployed and what did they coach? Areas of certification?

IrishBBall.

"more of the current staff notified..won't be retained...only so many PE, Weight Training Drivers Ed teachers...make sure spots are open for new coach to complete staff."

I appologize for the liberty taken with the quotations.

Now, most organizations would allow for the new coach to make the call on those remaining. This close to the end of the year....sounds like vindictive behavior on the part of the adminstration? Also, if you are going to get a coach on par with Pemberton, a staff of like capabilities will be required by this coach as well. That may mean..Oh No...Weight Lifting, Drivers Ed, and PE teachers. Come on, Irish BBall, all of a sudden Catholic is "small academically oriented school?" If Catholic is going to reverse gears, and espouse that nonsense; please, hit the accelerator while in reverse, and speed back to Magnolia Blvd.

ruse?

IrishBBall.

"more of the current staff notified..won't be retained...only so many PE, Weight Training Drivers Ed teachers...make sure spots are open for new coach to complete staff."

I appologize for the liberty taken with the quotations.

Now, most organizations would allow for the new coach to make the call on those remaining. This close to the end of the year....sounds like vindictive behavior on the part of the adminstration? Also, if you are going to get a coach on par with Pemberton, a staff of like capabilities will be required by this coach as well. That may mean..Oh No...Weight Lifting, Drivers Ed, and PE teachers. Come on, Irish BBall, all of a sudden Catholic is "small academically oriented school?" If Catholic is going to reverse gears, and espouse that nonsense; please, hit the accelerator while in reverse, and speed back to Magnolia Blvd.

ruse?

Good points as usual Ruse.

Keep in mind that the current Principal, Academic Dean and AD were not part of the hiring of Pemberton.

Pemberton, while an EXCELLENT FB coach,did little to nothing in the classroom and refused to teach the Health portion of the Health/Wellness class. A good portion of his teaching the PE class consisted of the kids playing Gotcha,sitting in the stands studying for other classes, etc. while he worked on his laptop for football. I'm a HUGE Pemberton fan as a coach. My son was an All-Stater at WR in 08 in his first year of play. He's a college basketball player now and Pemberton allowed him to attend basketball workouts during football season as part of our agreement to letting him playing football. He was more than willing to do whatever we needed basketball wise to make both work. Not many coaches would have done that but it worked out very well for them both. That being said, he had absolutely no interest in being in the classroom. Coach Smith was hired to teach the weight lifting for Advanced PE classes. It was a real class where he was actually expected to have lesson plans, teach, enter interim grades, etc. He basically chose to ignore REPEATED warnings that things had to change. Felt he was immune because he was a FB coach too. Kind of ballsy for a new teacher that had limited experience in the classroom. I am well aware of the number of chances he was given to change. His mentor didn't exactly set a good example. Extremely lucky to have made it to this year! Coach Toler moved out of the classroom to Drivers ED to avoid having to teach.

I understand that the new hires may need to fill positions that are PE related obviously but nothing says they need to be poor teachers. Catholic is very academically-oriented in spite of your view as it being a football factory. Look at where alot of the kinds are signing due to academic reasons. My point in saying it was a small school was that at a larger school such as a Farragut or Bearden, it is easier to cover poor teachers by "team" teaching. They have several coaches at Catholic that do an excellent job in the classroom. Nothing says you can't do both, it's just a little tougher to find them. Is it too idealistic to demand the same excellence in the classroom that you do from the coaches on the field or court? I, along with the majority of parents, hope they can find a staff that can do both. Sorry to be so verbose but I wanted to give you an in-depth point of view and again I think all of these guys are excellent coaches just short on the teaching side. My wife has done both there for years and has been named Teacher of the Year while coaching multiple sports, leading the Student Council, having the school annual dedicated to her and finished up her coaching career being inducted into the KIL Basketball Hall of Fame. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I couldn't really support the move back to Magnolia, I live a mile away.

ruse?

I think the administration wants to go with Lane Corrum. He was the linebacker coach at Catholic this year. But I dont think his resume is Catholic head coach material at this time (HC at heritage and DC at S-D). He has become very good friends with the AD and Principle. He is a great guy and a good coach but not proven as a winner when having a head coach or coordinator position. To be honest, I really have no idea what there thoughts are at this time. I think they should just give it a couple weeks to see who applies for the Head job and then go from there... It will not be Julian from Halls, I will bet on that. Ruse?, what do you think about the defensive coordinator from Alcoa?

Good points as usual Ruse.

Keep in mind that the current Principal, Academic Dean and AD were not part of the hiring of Pemberton.

Pemberton, while an EXCELLENT FB coach,did little to nothing in the classroom and refused to teach the Health portion of the Health/Wellness class. A good portion of his teaching the PE class consisted of the kids playing Gotcha,sitting in the stands studying for other classes, etc. while he worked on his laptop for football. I'm a HUGE Pemberton fan as a coach. My son was an All-Stater at WR in 08 in his first year of play. He's a college basketball player now and Pemberton allowed him to attend basketball workouts during football season as part of our agreement to letting him playing football. He was more than willing to do whatever we needed basketball wise to make both work. Not many coaches would have done that but it worked out very well for them both. That being said, he had absolutely no interest in being in the classroom. Coach Smith was hired to teach the weight lifting for Advanced PE classes. It was a real class where he was actually expected to have lesson plans, teach, enter interim grades, etc. He basically chose to ignore REPEATED warnings that things had to change. Felt he was immune because he was a FB coach too. Kind of ballsy for a new teacher that had limited experience in the classroom. I am well aware of the number of chances he was given to change. His mentor didn't exactly set a good example. Extremely lucky to have made it to this year! Coach Toler moved out of the classroom to Drivers ED to avoid having to teach.

understand that the new hires may need to fill positions that are PE related obviously but nothing says they need to be poor teachers. Catholic is very academically-oriented in spite of your view as it being a football factory. Look at where alot of the kinds are signing due to academic reasons. My point in saying it was a small school was that at a larger school such as a Farragut or Bearden, it is easier to cover poor teachers by "team" teaching. They have several coaches at Catholic that do an excellent job in the classroom. Nothing says you can't do both, it's just a little tougher to find them. Is it too idealistic to demand the same excellence in the classroom that you do from the coaches on the field or court? I, along with the majority of parents, hope they can find a staff that can do both. Sorry to be so verbose but I wanted to give you an in-depth point of view and again I think all of these guys are excellent coaches just short on the teaching side. My wife has done both there for years and has been named Teacher of the Year while coaching multiple sports, leading the Student Council, having the school annual dedicated to her and finished up her coaching career being inducted into the KIL Basketball Hall of Fame. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I couldn't really support the move back to Magnolia, I live a mile away.

IrishBBall.

Certainly not as close to it all as you. I've heard different, as late as yesterday at the coaches clinic. Pemberton had to do many of the administartive tasks around the football team because the AD was, and is an abject failure in his support of the football team. I heard Pemberton fired both Surlas' for repeated profanity, berating officials, and failing to attend practices for more than 1/2 the season. Further, the AD & Principal failed all the sports programs, as well as the school by mismanaging the reclessification process..big time. Not so much and issue for football, but the others will get waxed which will inpact revenue and enrollment. Due to this failure a distraction was required.

I understand the DC held kids, parents, peers, and superiors accountable. The loud minoriy did not like that, and the fact that the AD and Prinicpal had the axe to grind with Pemberton; the Principal fired the DC right after the state chamiponship game without Pemberton's knowledge, and without giving a reason. I understand that through the due dilligance process, other schools looking at the now fired DC found nothing but outstanding teaching performance evaluations, and a record setting defense.

Pemberton gets offered OR job, Principal agrees to a number of structural things (booster club, assistant coaches, etc), but Pemberton did not want more money, and the DC had plenty of offers on the table and was so upset he was not coming back. Pemberton just wanted the Principal and AD to stop undermining him. Shortly after that, Principal and AD begin underminig the interviewing process for a new DC. These were/are 1st class men and coaches that were looking at Catholic because of Pemberton. Pemberton sees this, interviews, gets offered down in GA. Pemberton asks Principal if what they had agreed to was going to be so. Principal said no, and Pemberton resigned.

See IrishBBall, us coaches are just like a bunch of old gossipy women...in cleats. Do I have it all right? Probably not, but at least 70%. of what I heard is probably true, and that is enough for many to not touch the opportunity with the Principal or AD there.

ruse?

ruse?

I think the administration wants to go with Lane Corrum. He was the linebacker coach at Catholic this year. But I dont think his resume is Catholic head coach material at this time (HC at heritage and DC at S-D). He has become very good friends with the AD and Principle. He is a great guy and a good coach but not proven as a winner when having a head coach or coordinator position. To be honest, I really have no idea what there thoughts are at this time. I think they should just give it a couple weeks to see who applies for the Head job and then go from there... It will not be Julian from Halls, I will bet on that. Ruse?, what do you think about the defensive coordinator from Alcoa?

HappyHour22.

I heard that yesterday as well. None of us were surprised. We all laughed becuse the AD said in the paper they were going after the best, out of state if they had to, etc. Lane is likeable, gets to the watering hole with the Principal and AD, etc. but, don't think he won more that a couple of games at Heritage in a couple of years, and his defense at SD was not very good. I would not say he is a good coach. Julian would have been fine, Maynord or Lambert would have been really good choices, but the Principal and AD undermined the interviews with them for the DC job. Maynord worked wonders for years at Smith County, and Lambert at Onieda before taking the HC at Anderson County. All three of those guys were willing to be be DCs' for Pemberton, would have been outstanding, and would have been very tough to beat. I don't really have a dog in the fight, but this whole thing is just a facinating case study in how ego and greed can quickly destroy. I am however, very saddened for the kids who seem to have been forgotten. In fact they should not be playing second fiddle to adult leadership behaving without morales, ethics, or dignity; and all in the name of "knowing what's best for the students." Those kids like most will model what they see. Rankin has a good staff, and the DC is good. Ha ha, about as good as the one who just left.

ruse?

How do you figure that you all would have won state if you would have beaten Catholic? White House was a very strong team up front... HUGE and your line is not that great... and Memphis Mitchell would have stomped you. I don't think you all understand. Even if you would have beat us yeah you would have beaten AE but not White House and definitely not Memphis Mitchell, who has speed, and that's exactly what AC doesn't really have is break away speed. I even had one of the AC coaches tell me himself that your guys' team speed isn't that great... sorry. Off this topic. Coleman never got offered by Airforce or Louisville im sorry to say it cause i don't really like talking about people but it is false information given out. He might have gotten some calls, but no offers. Who would turn down the University of Louisville for Tusculum College? I sure as heck wouldn't.

First off, I want to apologize to the Catholic fans...this probably is a thread that belongs elsewhere.

Secondly, I'm not sure which AC "coach" you spoke with. I'm sure JB Young's and Josh Wilson's break away speed was overlooked.

Thirdly, as I stated before, I'm sure Coleman's reasons for signing with Tusculum were his own. It never ceases to amaze me how some people have the "inside" track on matters and they are "sure" of who got offers, who got calls, etc. And they never like to talk about people, but...................

Coleman has always walked to the beat of his own drum. Ask his "real" coaches and teammates.

I thought our line did good enough to hold Catholic in check this year. Not great, MAYBE, but GOOD ENOUGH.