DII Individuals

MWR

Just curious.Besides being a fan of Father Ryan. What is your basis for Calloway losing to Mosley and Brasher losing to Norcross? Not to mention the most laughable prediction is that Carothers, whose not beaten all season would lay down in the state finals.

It's one thing to be a fan but your predictions are no more than wishful thinking.

I have already given my reasoning for the 215 prediction, so do some above reading. It is wide open as is the 189 bracket. I believe Brasher has beaten Norcross more than once this year, but I also think Norcross majored Brasher once as well. So it all leads back to the inconsistency of the weight class.

As for the Calloway-Mosley mach-up, they also have beaten each other and, of course, I'm gonna pick Mosley just like you or navy would probably pick Calloway /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />.

Finally, I picked Severson because..... well, I wanted to.

And they're PREDICTIONS-- Nothing more, so if you don't like them, then feel free to make your own!

Have a nice day. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

103:Carlos Calloway vs. Cole Moseley- Carlos leads the series 2-1 this year, and the last match was a questionable one. Moseley has looked stronger in tournaments this year and looks very well conditioned in finals matches. My prediction is Cole Moseley wins by 6 points in a blow out. Cole Moseley

112: Zach Watson vs. JP Carney- Zach Watson is too much of a powerhouse to be stopped, I believe that Watson will win this in quick fashion with a pin. Mr. Zach Watson

119: Alex Manley vs. Daniel Baucke- This is a potential best match candidate. Baucke won the last meeting but Alex Manley isnt going to easily lay down for him. Manley will wrestle a very good match and Baucke will too. I think it is going to be a decision in the favor of Manley, but this is one could very easily go in Baucke's favor. Alex Manley

125: Michael Hooker vs. Stuart Doster- This also seems to be a good match on paper. Hooker won the last meeting 5-1 but I believe the majority of Hookers points were scored off of one move? If Doster isnt't thrown this time then this match could be a nailbiter. Regardless I am taking the Cereal Kid. Michael Hooker

130: Cole Hayes vs. Chase Brannon- This could be a good match. Chase Brannon is one of the biggest 130's I have ever seen and he has skill to go with it. Cole Hayes hasnt been challenged much with anyone from Tennessee this year, but I believe he will meet his challenge in the state finals with Chase Brannon. Brannon is coming off a very solid State Duals perfromance and I am going to make this the upset of the night and pick Chase Brannon, but dont take me too seriously ( I know no one does anyway). Chase Brannon

135: Cody Austell vs. Trey Stavrum- This also looks like it could be a best match candidate. Cody Austell has had a very impressive year only losing twice in matches that he was wrestling up a weight class. Trey Stavrum is greatly improved from last year. Austell won the last meeting between the two in a 3-2 match. I am going to pick Cody Austell to win in a close one. Cody Austell

140: TJ Duncan vs. Zach Johnson- Johnson is a great wrestler no doubt, but I believe Duncan should win this one. TJ Duncan.

145: Chanse Hayes vs. Nick Bateman- Hayes made quick work of Bateman in the last meeting, but I do not believe it will be that easy for Hayes this time. Chanse Hayes

152: Justin Cash vs. Chase Martino- Justin Cash will make easy work of Chase Martino. Justin Cash

160: Patrick Marchetti vs. Daniel Todd- This is always an exciting matchup between the two. Patrick Marchetti will have his hands full in this match, but it is Patrick Marchetti so... Mr. Patrick Marchetti

171: Wes Wesley vs. Mac Ferfuson- Mac Ferguson won the last meeting between the two. Ferguson has alot of momentum coming into the tournament, but I believe Wes Wesley will prevail in the finals. Wes Wesley

189: Max Jarrell vs. David Helton- This shall be a good one. Last meeting was a high scoring match with Jarrell coming out on top 9-8 en route to 3rd at McCallie. Max Jarrell

215: Cory Norcross vs. John Mackey- John Mackey won the last meeting in easy fashion but Norcross is no slouch. Norcross can be another candidate for an upset. John Mackey

285: Ryan Carrethers vs. Andrew Severson- Ryan Carrethers undefeated #1 seed vs. 2008 State Runner Up Andrew Severson. This makes for some good ole fashion tummy bumping. I am not too impressed after watching Severson this year. Carrethers has not had an off match all year and I expect him to keep that going. Ryan Carrethers.

Those are my predictions for State 2009. Feel free to criticize

103:Carlos Calloway vs. Cole Moseley- Carlos leads the series 2-1 this year, and the last match was a questionable one. Moseley has looked stronger in tournaments this year and looks very well conditioned in finals matches. My prediction is Cole Moseley wins by 6 points in a blow out. Cole Moseley

112: Zach Watson vs. JP Carney- Zach Watson is too much of a powerhouse to be stopped, I believe that Watson will win this in quick fashion with a pin. Mr. Zach Watson

119: Alex Manley vs. Daniel Baucke- This is a potential best match candidate. Baucke won the last meeting but Alex Manley isnt going to easily lay down for him. Manley will wrestle a very good match and Baucke will too. I think it is going to be a decision in the favor of Manley, but this is one could very easily go in Baucke's favor. Alex Manley

125: Michael Hooker vs. Stuart Doster- This also seems to be a good match on paper. Hooker won the last meeting 5-1 but I believe the majority of Hookers points were scored off of one move? If Doster isnt't thrown this time then this match could be a nailbiter. Regardless I am taking the Cereal Kid. Michael Hooker

130: Cole Hayes vs. Chase Brannon- This could be a good match. Chase Brannon is one of the biggest 130's I have ever seen and he has skill to go with it. Cole Hayes hasnt been challenged much with anyone from Tennessee this year, but I believe he will meet his challenge in the state finals with Chase Brannon. Brannon is coming off a very solid State Duals perfromance and I am going to make this the upset of the night and pick Chase Brannon, but dont take me too seriously ( I know no one does anyway). Chase Brannon

135: Cody Austell vs. Trey Stavrum- This also looks like it could be a best match candidate. Cody Austell has had a very impressive year only losing twice in matches that he was wrestling up a weight class. Trey Stavrum is greatly improved from last year. Austell won the last meeting between the two in a 3-2 match. I am going to pick Cody Austell to win in a close one. Cody Austell

140: TJ Duncan vs. Zach Johnson- Johnson is a great wrestler no doubt, but I believe Duncan should win this one. TJ Duncan.

145: Chanse Hayes vs. Nick Bateman- Hayes made quick work of Bateman in the last meeting, but I do not believe it will be that easy for Hayes this time. Chanse Hayes

152: Justin Cash vs. Chase Martino- Justin Cash will make easy work of Chase Martino. Justin Cash

160: Patrick Marchetti vs. Daniel Todd- This is always an exciting matchup between the two. Patrick Marchetti will have his hands full in this match, but it is Patrick Marchetti so... Mr. Patrick Marchetti

171: Wes Wesley vs. Mac Ferfuson- Mac Ferguson won the last meeting between the two. Ferguson has alot of momentum coming into the tournament, but I believe Wes Wesley will prevail in the finals. Wes Wesley

189: Max Jarrell vs. David Helton- This shall be a good one. Last meeting was a high scoring match with Jarrell coming out on top 9-8 en route to 3rd at McCallie. Max Jarrell

215: Cory Norcross vs. John Mackey- John Mackey won the last meeting in easy fashion but Norcross is no slouch. Norcross can be another candidate for an upset. John Mackey

285: Ryan Carrethers vs. Andrew Severson- Ryan Carrethers undefeated #1 seed vs. 2008 State Runner Up Andrew Severson. This makes for some good ole fashion tummy bumping. I am not too impressed after watching Severson this year. Carrethers has not had an off match all year and I expect him to keep that going. Ryan Carrethers.

Those are my predictions for State 2009. Feel free to criticize

Some Changes of Mine

130 - I think that Alex Johnson will beat Chase Brannon in the semi-finals, from there he will go on to lose to Cole Hayes

160 - I think Daniel Todd is underrated coming in to this match. He has proven himself with his undefeated record. I think Mr. Todd will win this one 2-1

171 - Wes Wesley vs. John Floyd instead of Mac Ferguson. From their that finals match could go either way

103: Cole Mosely over Calloway, because the Irish needs a win here to compete w/ the Red Raiders.

112: Zach Watson beats Carney, Tech Fall (Carney probably won't give up the pin) Watson possible OW, even though his chances are slim since he won OW last year

119:Bauke vs Manley: VERY close match. Bauke won last match, and I give this one to Manley. (but don't count on it)

125: M. Hooker vs. S. Doster- could be another close one. Hooker is a senior and may have the maturity edge. also, I have seen him cheat at least 3 times with my own eyes. (He rigs his shoes so that he can slip one off when he is about to be taken down or reversed. the Referees fell for it EVERY TIME, and stopped the match.) If Hooker is able to slip his shoe off, I will be surprised if the refs haven't caught on by now. Doster wins.

130: Cole Hayes over Chase Brannon. Hayes has proved to be one of the toughest kids on his team. which says a lot, seeing that he wrestles for a very strong team (Baylor).

135: Austell vs. Stavrum: toss-up. I call Best Match here. Cody Austell (Another important Purple Irish win).

140: T.J. Duncan vs. Z Johnson. I hear Duncan get pinned last weekend at Duals? you can rest assure he won't let that happen again. McCallie's very own T.J. Duncan

145: Chanse hayes vs. Nick Bateman: govol says Bateman will put up a tougher fight than the last meeting. Hayes will have to work for it. Chanse Hayes

152: Justin Cash vs Chase Martino: JUSTIN CASH

160: Marchetti and Todd: Marchetti, hands down

[OW award will probably go to either Cash or Marchetti, whoever dominates his opponents the most]

171: Mac Ferguson vs. Wes Wesley. Wesley's name has been around longer, but Mac F. has become a good wrestler seemingly overnight. good match, and a very tough call. I was very impressied w/ the Baylor kid's performance at Duals; I think Ferguson's improvement rate might give him the edge. M.F.

189 Jarrell vs. Helton: Historically a good, close match. very tough to call. Jarrell

215:Norcross vs Mackey. Mackey looks like a Bull Moose on the mat. Mackey

275: Carrethers vs. Severson. I'm going against the thread - Severson. he has a cool name anyway haha

125: M. Hooker vs. S. Doster- could be another close one. Hooker is a senior and may have the maturity edge. also, I have seen him cheat at least 3 times with my own eyes. (He rigs his shoes so that he can slip one off when he is about to be taken down or reversed. the Referees fell for it EVERY TIME, and stopped the match.) If Hooker is able to slip his shoe off, I will be surprised if the refs haven't caught on by now. Doster wins.

Hooker is a freshman, not a senior. Doster is a sophomore.

MWR, since you're the topic starter, do we have a point system for this State championship pickem' thread? gotta stir some intra-coachT competition to make it interesting!

Wouldn't be a bad idea at all brave, howeverrrr, I don't want to be the one to total up eveyone's predictions. That job calls for a man who loves numbers and research........perhaps a man like ghouse???

Your lower weight predictions look good for the most part. Some of the more exciting matches will definitely be at 119 & 125. Only time will tell though.

Go IRISH

103: Callaway (BA) Fall Mosely (Ryan)

112: Watson (Bay) Fall Carney (CBHS)

119: Manley (Bay) Dec Baucke (CBHS)

125: Doster (Bay) Dec Hooker (Mc)

130: Hayes (Bay) Dec Johnson (CBHS)

135: Stavrum (Bay) Dec Austell (Ryan)

140: Johnson (CBHS) Dec Duncan (Mc)

145: Hayes (Bay) Dec Bateman (Ryan)

152: Cash (BA) Fall Martino (Mc)

160: Todd (MBA) Dec Marchetti (Ryan)

171: Floyd (MBA) Dec Wesley (Ryan)

189: Helton (Bay) Dec Jarrell (MBA)

215: Sweat (Ensw) d. Brasher (BA)

285: Carretters (BA) d. Severson (St. Ben)

OW: Watson (Bay)

BM: Manley - Baucke

Baylor: 7 Champs

Brentwood Acad: 3 Champs, 1 2nd

MBA 2 Champs, 1 2nd

CBHS: 1 Champ, 3 2nds

Ensworth: 1 Champ

Father Ryan: 0 Champs, 5 2nds

McCallie: 0 Champs, 3 2nd

St Ben: 0 Champs, 1 2nd

103: Callaway (BA) Fall Mosely (Ryan)

112: Watson (Bay) Fall Carney (CBHS)

119: Manley (Bay) Dec Baucke (CBHS)

125: Doster (Bay) Dec Hooker (Mc)

130: Hayes (Bay) Dec Johnson (CBHS)

135: Stavrum (Bay) Dec Austell (Ryan)

140: Johnson (CBHS) Dec Duncan (Mc)

145: Hayes (Bay) Dec Bateman (Ryan)

152: Cash (BA) Fall Martino (Mc)

160: Todd (MBA) Dec Marchetti (Ryan)

171: Floyd (MBA) Dec Wesley (Ryan)

189: Helton (Bay) Dec Jarrell (MBA)

215: Sweat (Ensw) d. Brasher (BA)

285: Carretters (BA) d. Severson (St. Ben)

OW: Watson (Bay)

BM: Manley - Baucke

Baylor: 7 Champs

Brentwood Acad: 3 Champs, 1 2nd

MBA 2 Champs, 1 2nd

CBHS: 1 Champ, 3 2nds

Ensworth: 1 Champ

Father Ryan: 0 Champs, 5 2nds

McCallie: 0 Champs, 3 2nd

St Ben: 0 Champs, 1 2nd

I'd say a couple of those are a little off...

103: Callaway (BA) over Mosely (Ryan)

112: Watson (Bay) over Carney (CBHS)

119: Manley (Bay) over Baucke (CBHS)

125: Hooker (Mc) over Doster ( Bay)

130: Hayes (Bay) over Johnson (CBHS)

135: Hanniford (CBHS) over Austell (Ryan)

140: Duncan (Mc) over Brewer ( Ryan)

145: Hayes (Bay) over Bateman (Ryan)

152: Cash (BA) over Hearshmann (SAS)

160: Marchetti (Ryan) over Todd (MBA)

171: Wesley (Ryan) over Ferguson (Bay)

189: Helton (Bay) over Jarrell (MBA)

215: Norcross ( Ryan) over Brasher (BA)

285: Carretters (BA) over Watson (Bay)

OW: Marchetti ( Ryan)

BM: Manley - Baucke or Wesley-Ferguson