TSSAA Needs to look at this

LeatherBalls

Why does it take so long to play district and regional basketball tournaments? If your team goes to the first round of the region then its baseball players only get about 5 practices. TSSAA needs to take a look at its calendar. We need to push back baseball two weeks. We should be starting practice today. All kinds of states do it. Kentucky starts practice today. Basketball is killing the small schools. I hope my school wins it all but its not fair. It is not fair to the kids participating in basketball and baseball. They get no prep time. It is crap saying that they (TSSAA) are worried about graduations. What, do the other states have different academic calendars? It's too cold and wet, plus having half of your team in basketball kills practice. I bet if baseball drew in the most money there would be something done. Would football be treated this way? Do you think TSSAA would allow football players only 5 days of prep before kickoff. Better not have any arm injuries, I might have to call Bart Durham /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What do you think? Any opinions on this matter.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have said for years that baseball/softball start too soon in Tn. I know there is a concern for keeping the sports calendars in line with the school calendars but I think there are alot of problems with that thought process. In Indiana baseball and softball state championships are held in the middle of June and I believe that Illinois does the same.

Tennessee could have state tournament in last week of May or first week of June. Only 7-14 days different and only affects 16 schools per class (Baseball & Softball combined). It is not that hard. But hey, only the big schools where baseball players only play baseball is what matters.

I think that basketball needs to cut a week off their schedule too. It is way too long. Why take two weeks to play the state tournament? Put girls at one site and boys at a second. That is baseball and softball does. Then a school who has baseball/softball players in basketball may only miss one week of prep time. This would only be for the schools participating in the state tournament. It would affect only about 2% of the schools. Also, district basketball tournaments mean nothing but seeding. The four teams that make it to the districts are automatically in regions. Why take four? Baeball/Softball take two to regions. How about take top four from regular season and go straight to regions with an 8 team region tournament? That would put the region finals tonight and tomorrow under current calendar.

Why is there so many days between tournaments? Baseball/Softball gets one day between Region Semis, Region Finals, and Sub State. All 3 levels are completed within 5 days. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

They cut out 2 basketball games already for the 2008-2009 season. The district here has 9 teams, that's 16 district games so there's already very little room for non-district (often the money games, Whitwell here for example), tournaments. Others are in similar situations. Also add in how winter weather often causes postponements even late in the season and I don't see how the season could be shortened anymore than it has.

Not talking about number of games but number of weeks. Baseball was cut 2 games but we have to get 30 in six weeks and we deal with weather. Basketball is like 16 weeks long. You are obviously from Chatt. are since you mentioned Whitwell. How does your school treat baseball/softball? Is it something just to do at the end of the school year or is it a true program. For example, do you treat it like Lookout Valley? Not comparing wins/losses but how you go about doing it. I think football takes too many to playoffs like a 1-9 team. I'm not saying add weeks to baseball/softball but just change the start/finish time like other states have it. /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

I have said for years that baseball/softball start too soon in Tn. I know there is a concern for keeping the sports calendars in line with the school calendars but I think there are alot of problems with that thought process. In Indiana baseball and softball state championships are held in the middle of June and I believe that Illinois does the same.

It probably doesn't start warming up till the middle of June in Indiana & Illinois!

Why does it take so long to play district and regional basketball tournaments? If your team goes to the first round of the region then its baseball players only get about 5 practices. TSSAA needs to take a look at its calendar. We need to push back baseball two weeks. We should be starting practice today. All kinds of states do it. Kentucky starts practice today. Basketball is killing the small schools. I hope my school wins it all but its not fair. It is not fair to the kids participating in basketball and baseball. They get no prep time. It is crap saying that they (TSSAA) are worried about graduations. What, do the other states have different academic calendars? It's too cold and wet, plus having half of your team in basketball kills practice. I bet if baseball drew in the most money there would be something done. Would football be treated this way? Do you think TSSAA would allow football players only 5 days of prep before kickoff. Better not have any arm injuries, I might have to call Bart Durham /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

What do you think? Any opinions on this matter.

After reading you post, you finally hit the nail on the head. It's about $$$. An FYI, so is Bart Durham !!

Kentucky starts their state in the middle of June also. Not much climate difference in TN & KY.

First, I disagree with making the baseball season shorter just because of a few basketball players. Facts are few basketball players have enough time off in the summer to play summer baseball anyway so most make the decision which sport to play long before high school. If the high school season runs two weeks longer, then that just means the summer season for baseball players runs two weeks shorter too. REgardless, you and the TSSAA is shortening baseball season for all baseball players just for a select few. Basketball players who also play baseball have time on weekends, etc to get their cuts in and their throwing done.

Second, running the season later in the year will have practically every school having to balance school activities such as graduation, etc around district games. Right now its only a challenge for those who are beyond region play. Still not a preferred situation but something that folks can live with.

Third, what about track and tennis? I guess you're saying delay all spring sports or do away with Spring Fling and that revenue to the TSSAA, right? We all know that aint happening.

Not talking about making it shorter. Talking about pushing season back. All spring sports can be pushed back and have Spring Fling in June. Graduations won't be compromised because of this. Kids can actually graduate with their classmates rather than in a hotel lobby 300 miles away. Early March has terrible weather, it is still winter. March 9th is too early of a date. Arm injuries are waiting to happen and it is just miserable to be out in that weather. Practice needs to start the week of March 1 and the season starts on the week of April 1. If you have basketball players playing in the state tourn., they can still get in two weeks of practice before opening day. April unitl the last week in May should be enough time to get regular season in and all students get to graduate with their fellow classmates. First week of June- District Tournament, second week of June - Region & Sectional, and the third week of June - Spring Fling. Last week of June and first week of July - Dead Period.

For those that don't make it to the state, they can play summer ball until dead period and can participate in football and basketball workouts. After dead period, just like it is right now. For those who would make it to the state, they'd have a good season and after the dead period, they will be ready for football or basketball workouts.

Not talking about making it shorter. Talking about pushing season back. All spring sports can be pushed back and have Spring Fling in June. Graduations won't be compromised because of this. Kids can actually graduate with their classmates rather than in a hotel lobby 300 miles away. Early March has terrible weather, it is still winter. March 9th is too early of a date. Arm injuries are waiting to happen and it is just miserable to be out in that weather. Practice needs to start the week of March 1 and the season starts on the week of April 1. If you have basketball players playing in the state tourn., they can still get in two weeks of practice before opening day. April unitl the last week in May should be enough time to get regular season in and all students get to graduate with their fellow classmates. First week of June- District Tournament, second week of June - Region & Sectional, and the third week of June - Spring Fling. Last week of June and first week of July - Dead Period.

For those that don't make it to the state, they can play summer ball until dead period and can participate in football and basketball workouts. After dead period, just like it is right now. For those who would make it to the state, they'd have a good season and after the dead period, they will be ready for football or basketball workouts.

Just the thought of moving the softball season back a few weeks scares me to death!!! That would mean one or two less National Qualifiers we could go to with the summer team. High School ball is fun I guess, but it gets serious in the summer. We are already behind GA and a few other states that play softball in the Fall. They start "summer" ball in March and are in the grove when we go straight to our first tourney with girls tired from the state. As far as the girls who don't go to state playing sooner, over half our team played in the state tourney last year. Trust me, your not going to travel to NC, GA, etc, with half your team!!!!

First, I disagree with making the baseball season shorter just because of a few basketball players. Facts are few basketball players have enough time off in the summer to play summer baseball anyway so most make the decision which sport to play long before high school. If the high school season runs two weeks longer, then that just means the summer season for baseball players runs two weeks shorter too. REgardless, you and the TSSAA is shortening baseball season for all baseball players just for a select few. Basketball players who also play baseball have time on weekends, etc to get their cuts in and their throwing done.

Second, running the season later in the year will have practically every school having to balance school activities such as graduation, etc around district games. Right now its only a challenge for those who are beyond region play. Still not a preferred situation but something that folks can live with.

Third, what about track and tennis? I guess you're saying delay all spring sports or do away with Spring Fling and that revenue to the TSSAA, right? We all know that aint happening.

Beyond Region Play? They haven't played the district finals yet!

At worst case a school makes it to region as #4 seed and get beat in first round of region and baseball gets 4 practices. Summers???? Ever heard of AAU? The bottom line is this, I never said shorten the season in games. I just don't see why there is now five days between games. It used to not be that way. Why?