TSSAA Needs to look at this

LeatherBalls

I dont see what the big deal is, you don't see basketball coaches complaining about not having their players during football playoffs. And basketball requires a whole lot of conditioning and feel for shooting. Baseball for the most part you can come right out of basketball and be ready to play if you are making an effort to throw and hit in free time.

I dont see what the big deal is, you don't see basketball coaches complaining about not having their players during football playoffs. And basketball requires a whole lot of conditioning and feel for shooting. Baseball for the most part you can come right out of basketball and be ready to play if you are making an effort to throw and hit in free time.

One remedy is start football 2 weeks earlier instead of playing all of the jamborees, then require basketball to play more games over Christmas. This would give baseball a couple of extra weeks for their jammed packed season.l

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem I see with multiple sports is that everybody pushes the kid to quit one so that they can work out more on the others. I think if my son gave up one he would just work more on the other 2.

You must be one of those parents who says "We are going to focus on......" but have you ever noticed that the kid who focuses on that one never really does more than they ever did. Coaches can't work with the kid in the off season, kids want to hang with buddies, I just think that is an excuse that most kids use instead of saying they can't hang or that they are in LOVE. I don't mean to step on your toes. You and your kid may be the small exception, but I just had a talk with a kid who said he wasn't going to play football so he could just concentrate on baseball. At the end of the day he don't know how to concentrate on baseball and I told him to worry about being a kid and play everything he could b/c when his four years is up there is a real good chance he won't be able to continue playing. I'm not saying it can't happen, just playing the odds. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

One remedy is start football 2 weeks earlier instead of playing all of the jamborees, then require basketball to play more games over Christmas. This would give baseball a couple of extra weeks for their jammed packed season.l

By the way......I was a fan of Dyron Nix. But on this point, I just heard a BBall coach complain about it yesterday. It takes more of your regular season to gel as a team and develop the skills and that is not fair on the kid. I'm not saying they need to get four weeks. Just give them adaptation time. Again, this most affects the small schools. TSSAA could do a better job with their basketball calendar and you know it. District tourney should be a Thurs, Fri, Sat. thing........Done. Regions Tues, Thurs, Fri/Sat..........Done. Sub State on Tues & Thurs........Done...... State on Monday (Both boys and girls at same time.....two locations) /motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" />

You must be one of those parents who says "We are going to focus on......" but have you ever noticed that the kid who focuses on that one never really does more than they ever did. Coaches can't work with the kid in the off season, kids want to hang with buddies, I just think that is an excuse that most kids use instead of saying they can't hang or that they are in LOVE. I don't mean to step on your toes. You and your kid may be the small exception, but I just had a talk with a kid who said he wasn't going to play football so he could just concentrate on baseball. At the end of the day he don't know how to concentrate on baseball and I told him to worry about being a kid and play everything he could b/c when his four years is up there is a real good chance he won't be able to continue playing. I'm not saying it can't happen, just playing the odds. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Actually he hasn't quit anything. He's played 3 sports since 7th grade, but there is some pressure on him. I agree with you 100%, I don't think he would focus any more on the other 2 than he did when he played 3. It would just be free time.

Agree also about living your 4 years of high school to the max and playing as many sports as you can.

Actually the toughest month to be a 3 sport athlete is June. No classes to worry about, basketball camps, summer baseball and weight room for football.

The difference is that football playoffs end the week before basketball starts and there's only 4 teams per classification that are affected the final week and only 8 affected the 2 weeks before per classification.

The boys actually sit on their hands for a week waiting for the girls to finish state and then they play. Those 8 teams won't return to baseball until March 22nd which is week 3 of an 8 week regular season. Then baseball has to squeeze in as many games as basketball plays in a shorter time frame.

I think they could start football on week zero and give basketball a week head start and they could pick up 2 weeks on the back end just by organizing the post season better. It's stupid for basketball state not to run at the same time even if they had two different venues. Our boys played Monday night in district and don't start region until Saturday. We should be playing region finals on Saturday and state could start next week. Why the 4 and 5 day layoffs? 3 games in a week is not excessive. Do that 3 weeks in a row and you're done.

Beyond Region Play? They haven't played the district finals yet!

At worst case a school makes it to region as #4 seed and get beat in first round of region and baseball gets 4 practices. Summers???? Ever heard of AAU? The bottom line is this, I never said shorten the season in games. I just don't see why there is now five days between games. It used to not be that way. Why?

its all money money money !! district basketball championships on monday and tues and then they play on sat thats messed up .. baseball play mon wed then friday !!

its all money money money !! district basketball championships on monday and tues and then they play on sat thats messed up .. baseball play mon wed then friday !!

I don't get this line from T$$AA - Don't want to play back to back nights in basketball tourney or multiple games in a single night in basketball due to them being on school nights but in baseball they have a 30 game limit in a six-week period and then they say they don't want to expand the season because they don't want to be playing after graduation.

Don't want to pack games in a few days b/c of school BUT Want to pack in games and hurry up b/c of school. Does this sound like TSSAA is contradicting itself? A basketball coach told me last night that the king of the dribble states of Indiana and Kentucky have great formats and that basketball is too long and too stretched out in Tennessee. Baseball should be finishing up its first week of practice now.

Well, no doubt baseball is not the money maker of high school sports. Consider this proposal. Start HS baseball in August. Play 8 weeks and finish regular season around October 1st. All tournaments could be concluded by middle of October. Football could start their season February 1st. They would still finish before hot weather arrives, which would beat them having 2-a-days in July and games starting at the end of August. Too many heat injuries occur now the way it is. And I don't understand why basketball doesn't play more than 2 nights a week for most schools. Baseball plays 3-5 games per week when most teams are lucky to have 3 true pitchers. March in Tennessee isn't exactly baseball weather any more than August is football weather.

I know that would never happen, but I think it would be a feasible arrangement. Baseball ends up playing not second, but last fiddle to football, basketball and even some other sports around here. It seems to me that it is considered to be a fill in instead of the great sport it is.

Oh, that's a great argument for the weather conditions. We say that every year when it's 90 degrees in the shade at football practice and then we're playing baseball and cracking bats in the cold weather.

It won't fly because of football recruiting if nothing else. The frustrating thing about basketball's post season is that if you win 9 games in 3 tournaments, you're state champ. It shouldn't take 35 days to play 9 games. You could easily get through 3 tournaments in 20 days with a Monday, Thursday, Saturday format and 3 of the 9 games would be on the weekend. School is not affected at all. You could play the girls state at Belmont and the boys at Lipscomb simultaneously and fans could go back and forth and watch both in the same week.

I'd at least like to hear the logic behind the current system, because I don't see it.