Father Ryan

TheSpoon

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Father Ryan Alum and longtime fan, I`m predicting an optimistic 4-6 and I don`t even know who their non-Region games are. It is for sure going to be a rebuilding year. But you know what? It is going to be one of the most exciting seasons because we are FINALLY, after 83 years, going to have our own 2,300 seat stadium, with an Alumni reception area and concession areas and restrooms! Not to mention a state of the art synthetic playing surface and brand new rubberized track. The Irish nation will finally have a gathering place to call their own, "Giacosa Stadium at the Carell Athletic Complex". That`s why I`m pumped about this coming season..........The dirt is being moved as I write!!!

As Father Ryan Alum and longtime fan, I`m predicting an optimistic 4-6 and I don`t even know who their non-Region games are. It is for sure going to be a rebuilding year. But you know what? It is going to be one of the most exciting seasons because we are FINALLY, after 83 years, going to have our own 2,300 seat stadium, with an Alumni reception area and concession areas and restrooms! Not to mention a state of the art synthetic playing surface and brand new rubberized track. The Irish nation will finally have a gathering place to call their own, "Giacosa Stadium at the Carell Athletic Complex". That`s why I`m pumped about this coming season..........The dirt is being moved as I write!!!

DS2001,

You seem to be in the know about the Irish athletic department so I want to ask you a few questions: Why is it a rebuilding year? How will the new stadium being built (which is past due) result in more wins for the Irish? Why only build a 2300 seat stadium when you know that the Irish will draw 5000+ if they ever have a strong team? You are predicting a 4-6 season (should win against metro schools Hillwood, Overton & Antioch) but who are they going to defeat in their league to get the 4th victory. Is it me or is the Father Ryan football team falling further behind the other schools in D2? The Irish seem to have a successful athletic program in most of the sports (womens soccer/state chamions, volleyball/state 2nd place, wrestling/ 2X state champions, mens basketball/state 2nd place, ice hockey/state final 4) with the exception of football, why so many problems with football?

DS2001,

You seem to be in the know about the Irish athletic department so I want to ask you a few questions: Why is it a rebuilding year? How will the new stadium being built (which is past due) result in more wins for the Irish? Why only build a 2300 seat stadium when you know that the Irish will draw 5000+ if they ever have a strong team? You are predicting a 4-6 season (should win against metro schools Hillwood, Overton & Antioch) but who are they going to defeat in their league to get the 4th victory. Is it me or is the Father Ryan football team falling further behind the other schools in D2? The Irish seem to have a successful athletic program in most of the sports (womens soccer/state chamions, volleyball/state 2nd place, wrestling/ 2X state champions, mens basketball/state 2nd place, ice hockey/state final 4) with the exception of football, why so many problems with football?

Here we go again. They do the best they can with the students they draw. Father Ryan is not a recruiting factory and don't want to be one. There is not enough parking for the 2300 seats, much less five thousand. The stadium would not be built at the present except for generous donations by Jim Carell and Father Giacosa, both of whom gave over a million dollars to the effort. But back to your question, the talent is not there, pure and simple. Ryan does not go all over town and out of town to get athletes as do some other programs in our division. Thats makes it very hard to compete especially in football where the aggressive hunt for athletes is more prominent than other sports. I am sure you know why that is so, football generally makes the most money because it draws the most fans. But Ryan's future does not depend on winning 12 football games every year as the last decade will attest to. We are in a recession, but retain over 800 students and a new stadium is under construction along with several other improvements on multiple playing fields, we better count our blessings. Before you post that Ryan ought to pursue football players and do whatever it takes to get them, who is going to pay for that, and is that following the rules of TSSAA and the eithical rules that Ryan is bound to follow. PS you speak of problems with football, what problems are you referring to. They had a winning season last year. PSS Ryan is fourth in the state in state championships of all schools. The overwhelming majority of these state championships are not in football. These state championships are added to almost every year that goes by. A pretty good athletic school that follows the rules in my opinion. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Here we go again. They do the best they can with the students they draw. Father Ryan is not a recruiting factory and don't want to be one. There is not enough parking for the 2300 seats, much less five thousand. The stadium would not be built at the present except for generous donations by Jim Carell and Father Giacosa, both of whom gave over a million dollars to the effort. But back to your question, the talent is not there, pure and simple. Ryan does not go all over town and out of town to get athletes as do some other programs in our division. Thats makes it very hard to compete especially in football where the aggressive hunt for athletes is more prominent than other sports. I am sure you know why that is so, football generally makes the most money because it draws the most fans. But Ryan's future does not depend on winning 12 football games every year as the last decade will attest to. We are in a recession, but retain over 800 students and a new stadium is under construction along with several other improvements on multiple playing fields, we better count our blessings. Before you post that Ryan ought to pursue football players and do whatever it takes to get them, who is going to pay for that, and is that following the rules of TSSAA and the eithical rules that Ryan is bound to follow. PS you speak of problems with football, what problems are you referring to. They had a winning season last year. PSS Ryan is fourth in the state in state championships of all schools. The overwhelming majority of these state championships are not in football. These state championships are added to almost every year that goes by. A pretty good athletic school that follows the rules in my opinion. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Are you saying that MUS, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, Montgomery Bell Academy, etc... are not following the rules of the TSSAA because they have successful football programs? The problems that I see with the football program is that they have a difficult time within their D2 region and trying to be successful. Last season they finished 5-5 (which is not a winning record) but did end their season on a positive note by defeating Brentwood Academy. To me it's great that people have donated money, you have 800+ students & you are building a new stadium but I just don't see how a new stadium will result in more victories for the football program.

DS2001,

WOW! What a bold statement of 4-6 for the irish. You must know about the irish personel or the coach's have expressed this to you. This is funny because the irish seem to beat somebody every year that everyone thinks they will loose to (except that great coaching staff). It doesnt seem like the irish are falling to keep up if you were really watching. But you are right, Ryan is not going to go out and bend the rules and recruit, they will continue to work hard and be well coached.

WOW! What a bold statement of 4-6 for the irish. You must know about the irish personel or the coach's have expressed this to you. This is funny because the irish seem to beat somebody every year that everyone thinks they will loose to (except that great coaching staff). It doesnt seem like the irish are falling to keep up if you were really watching. But you are right, Ryan is not going to go out and bend the rules and recruit, they will continue to work hard and be well coached.

You need to be directing your questions to DS2001 and not me. I am just an old man down here in South Florida that is asking a few questions myself.

Are you saying that MUS, Brentwood Academy, Ensworth, Montgomery Bell Academy, etc... are not following the rules of the TSSAA because they have successful football programs? The problems that I see with the football program is that they have a difficult time within their D2 region and trying to be successful. Last season they finished 5-5 (which is not a winning record) but did end their season on a positive note by defeating Brentwood Academy. To me it's great that people have donated money, you have 800+ students & you are building a new stadium but I just don't see how a new stadium will result in more victories for the football program.

A new stadium or to be more specific a home field advantage should help for some more victories. Nothing makes up for superior talent. As to more victories, if it don't happen, so what. I am very thankful that breaking or bending rules or whatever you want to call it does not go on at Ryan. They will play hard, are coached well and thats good enough. We have been down this road before, ain't gonna change. If we get good athletes from our normal student draw, that will transfer into good athletic teams, if we don't, it won't. There is a difference between me and you. I don't place football on some platform and all other sports bow to it. Ryan is doing just fine even if you don't think so. Its a great school and will continue to be a great school.

A new stadium or to be more specific a home field advantage should help for some more victories. Nothing makes up for superior talent. As to more victories, if it don't happen, so what. I am very thankful that breaking or bending rules or whatever you want to call it does not go on at Ryan. They will play hard, are coached well and thats good enough. We have been down this road before, ain't gonna change. If we get good athletes from our normal student draw, that will transfer into good athletic teams, if we don't, it won't. There is a difference between me and you. I don't place football on some platform and all other sports bow to it. Ryan is doing just fine even if you don't think so. Its a great school and will continue to be a great school.

You keep talking about bending rules, recruiting athletes, breaking rules, etc... Are some of the schools violating TSSAA rules? I ask you this once before and you never gave me an answer but you refrenced it once again.

You keep talking about bending rules, recruiting athletes, breaking rules, etc... Are some of the schools violating TSSAA rules? I ask you this once before and you never gave me an answer but you refrenced it once again.

It is of no importance to me, Ryan don't, thats all that is important. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />