Supreme Court

PHargis

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Civil Rights activists of the 1950's and 60's are praised as heroes today because they engaged in widespread civil disobedience. Same with Gandhi. They broke existing laws that they deemed unjust, in order to get the laws changed.

Maybe that is what is called for now. Break the law, ignore the high courts, and let the chips fall where they may.

Take a stand. A stand on principle and honor and faith. Stop rolling over for the squawking minority every time.

A personal thank you to Coach Louie Thompson for what he said. He's been a giant in high school coaching for many years now, and I bet Bear would be proud of him and his position on this lunacy.

What say you?

It never fails to amaze me the ignorance with which otherwise learned individuals cite the Founding Fathers as the basis for public prayer. The founding fathers knew the abuses of religion and spoke onpenly and often about the separation of church and state. In fact, the words "In God We Trust" were only placed on currency during the Civil War, long after our Constitution was ratified. Believe it or not, not everyone is a Christian. Would athletes of all faiths have an opportunity to lead their religious prayers? If so, I have no problem. History says more likely those players would be ostracized. I believe that a moment of silence for prayer, meditation, or personal focus is appropriate. Surely God hears all prayers, whether silent or voiced.

Here are some quotes from our Founding Fathers for your enlightenment:

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness, that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind." - Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason, 1794-1795.)

Every man "ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience." - George Washington (Letter to the United Baptist Churches in Virginia in May, 1789)

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god." - Thomas Jefferson (letter to Peter Carr, 10 August 1787)

"When a Religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its Professors are obliged to call for help of the Civil Power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one." - Benjamin Franklin (from a letter to Richard Price, October 9, 1780;)

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of... Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."- Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason, 1794-1795.)

"Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error

all over the earth." - Thomas Jefferson (Notes on Virginia, 1782; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 363.)

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." - James Madison (Memorial and Remonstrance against Religious Assessments, 1785.)

"Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of other trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?" - John Adams

It never fails to amaze me the ignorance with which otherwise learned individuals cite the Founding Fathers as the basis for public prayer. The founding fathers knew the abuses of religion and spoke onpenly and often about the separation of church and state. In fact, the words "In God We Trust" were only placed on currency during the Civil War, long after our Constitution was ratified. Believe it or not, not everyone is a Christian. Would athletes of all faiths have an opportunity to lead their religious prayers? If so, I have no problem. History says more likely those players would be ostracized. I believe that a moment of silence for prayer, meditation, or personal focus is appropriate. Surely God hears all prayers, whether silent or voiced.

"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and torturous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness, with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness, that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind." - Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason, 1794-1795.)

Every man "ought to be protected in worshipping the Deity according to the dictates of his own conscience." - George Washington (Letter to the United Baptist Churches in Virginia in May, 1789)

"Question with boldness even the existence of a god." - Thomas Jefferson (letter to Peter Carr, 10 August 1787)

"When a Religion is good, I conceive it will support itself; and when it does not support itself, and God does not take care to support it so that its Professors are obliged to call for help of the Civil Power, it is a sign, I apprehend, of its being a bad one." - Benjamin Franklin (from a letter to Richard Price, October 9, 1780;)

I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of... Each of those churches accuse the other of unbelief; and for my own part, I disbelieve them all."- Thomas Paine (The Age of Reason, 1794-1795.)

"Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools and the other half hypocrites. To support roguery and error

all over the earth." - Thomas Jefferson (Notes on Virginia, 1782; from George Seldes, ed., The Great Quotations, Secaucus, New Jersey: Citadel Press, 1983, p. 363.)

"During almost fifteen centuries has the legal establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More or less in all places, pride and indolence in the Clergy, ignorance and servility in the laity; in both, superstition, bigotry and persecution." - James Madison (Memorial and Remonstrance against Religious Assessments, 1785.)

"Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines and Oaths, and whole carloads of other trumpery that we find religion encumbered with in these days?" - John Adams

John Adams knew what a carload was.....

It's illegal to copy someone else's work and post it on a bulletin board. A link is legal. This violates copyright law.

It is illegal to go one mile an hour over the speed limit also.

You can??™t shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.

Hollow logs may not be sold.

More than 8 women may not live in the same house because that would constitute a brothel.

It is illegal to use a lasso to catch a fish.

Driving is not to be done while asleep.

It is legal to gather and consume roadkill.

The definition of ???dumb animal??? includes every living creature.

Giving and receiving oral sex is still prohibited by law.

Stealing a horse is punishible by hanging.

No Christian parent may require their children to pick up trash from the highway on Easter day.

It is illegal for a woman to call a man for a date.

Bar owners may not let patrons make loud, unusual noises.

Illegal for a woman to drive a car unless there is a man either running or walking in front of it waving a red flag to warn approaching motorists and pedestrians.

When you pull up to a stop sign you must fire a gun out the window to warn horse carriages that you are coming.

These are all still laws in Tennessee. So any other laws that you want to talk about. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

These are all still laws in Tennessee. So any other laws that you want to talk about. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Those are funny but I don't get the point. Doing this on bulletin boards is routinely met with legal consequences it isn't some obsolete law that is never prosecuted. The tennessean sends out cease and desist warnings to board owners who allow this and have been known to have boards shut down. Gannett isn't afraid to file legal charges. It happens a lot.

You quote mere men. Mortals. Try quoting Jesus and you might get somewhere (I must decrease, but He! must increase).

Regardless, I say let's all get together and pray...in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost!

God bless and have a GREAT weekend! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You quote mere men. Mortals. Try quoting Jesus and you might get somewhere (I must decrease, but He! must increase).

Regardless, I say let's all get together and pray...in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost!

God bless and have a GREAT weekend! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree wholeheartedly. I only quoted our Founding Fathers because their names were invoked in the defense of school prayer.

Those are funny but I don't get the point. Doing this on bulletin boards is routinely met with legal consequences it isn't some obsolete law that is never prosecuted. The tennessean sends out cease and desist warnings to board owners who allow this and have been known to have boards shut down. Gannett isn't afraid to file legal charges. It happens a lot.

So are you scanning all the threads for copyright infringement or just certian ones? /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />