High School Basketball needs a shot clock

jsnfreeman11

yea some cream puff teams like humbolt couldnt handle it

If you have seen them, (which I would almost bet the farm you haven't) Humboldt wouldn't be bothered by having to shoot in within the NBA shot clock. Straight run and gun for 32 minutes.

And not sure why you used that to reply to my comment. I live 5 mins from Humboldt but I am far from a fan.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the OP on the fact that there needs to be a shot clock in high school basketball. There are just too many ways a lesser team can hijack a game playing the Four Corners. It really makes what should be a faster paced sport unwatchable.

35 second shot clock would be optimal IMO.

What is wrong with "a lesser team" winning? Isn't a cinderella "entertaining"? What was greater than watching George Mason make it to final four a few years ago? I also am ammused with the term "hijack". If you are such a superior team than the one you are playing then you should win no matter what.

If you have seen them, (which I would almost bet the farm you haven't) Humboldt wouldn't be bothered by having to shoot in within the NBA shot clcok. Straight run and gun for 32 minutes.

And not why you used that to reply to my comment. I live 5 mins from Humboldt but I am far from a fan.

He's been taking shots at Humboldt ever since he got an account yesterday...Jealousy is such an ugly thing..

howard would be in trouble then

last tme i check yall didnt beat them n they run da ball they dnt hold it would be trouble for da otha team like yall koz yall kant shoot /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> :

Thats college... totally different ball game.

I'm sure it happens in high school in other states that have a shot clock but what you have to look at is will it improve the overall quality of the game for the overwhelming majority of those involved. I don't think it will. Being able to play good basketball and not rely solely on athleticism and talent is what lets a lot of high schools compete.

Definitely high school should have a shot clock, because when somebody's up in a 5-point game, they just waste the clock and the other team has no chance to come up.

I'm assuming by "waste the clock" you mean they move the ball around the perimeter and to the corners near half court. If you're in a tight contest, like a 5 point game, and are moving the ball around in that manner you had better be able to handle the ball ( and the pressure of the situation) which few teams, IMO, possess such a level of ball control especially under that circumstance.

A lot of times in this case a team may sit back in their 2-3 zone where forwards and center "hold down the fort" on the blocks and allow the guards to extend to force a 5 count. Even in this case, you're letting the other team have it. Think about what this team is telling you by taking this course of action. They're saying " I don't want to take the chance of taking a shot because we probably won't able to get a defensive stop"

Take it as a sign that you not only do you have a chance, you have a VERY good chance. They're aren't confident. So pressure them. Now, if the pressure isn't enough to force a turnover or they start slicing through your defense then put them on the line ( depending on your depth and current foul situation ). It's a gamble but if they can't hit their free throws then they won't be able to rely on a stall tactic.

bad idea no shot clock because many teams in high school ball dont have the talent to play with these other teams, but what can help them win is milking that clock slowing the game down. being well coached!

Its not like college... college you recruit ur players and you have good players on every team, but in high school you dont recruit you get the players that are zoned for your school and say if an undefeated good team was playin a decent team then the only chance that decent team has is to win the game is to work the clock, pass the ball around until they get a good shot.

Thats why there should be no shot clock in high school ball.