Refrees?

bulldog787

they applauded a call, no sarcasm, unlike you and with no intent. It was horrible. Officials should call technicals when they are deserved. The whole team was clapping and it was for joy not taunting the other team or trying to show them up. It was awful.

hmm.. Well I'm sure it was the worst thing that has ever happend in the game of basketball!!! And think you for taking time to admire my work.... I always love a fan who takes the time to tell me how good/bad of a job I am doing!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is a dead issue. You have fans and refs that will always be on other sides of the fence. Why? Because fans cannot understand that, for the most part, refs come to do a job and go home. They take time, not a profession at this level, out of their busy lives to help our youth and do something they like, or love, to do. There are a FEW refs that, given the right team or circumstance, will cheat. Most of the time it is because a coach and that ref don't like each other. Other times it can be that ref went to school at one of the teams playing. There are many avenues that may alter their calling, but by in large, refs do a good job. Everyone makes mistakes. Take your vehicle for instance. Some vehicles are lemons off the lot. My wife's dad worked for GM in Detroit, and he said to never buy a vehicle that was made on Mondays or Fridays. Most of the lemons came from those days. The first two or three letters tell which day your vehicle was made. Anyway....my point being that everyone will make mistakes in whatever job they do. Fans make the mistake of going to games, thinking that if they really get on the ref or opposing team that it will help their team to victory. That is the furthest from the truth and will do the exact opposite!!! Refs are human and have emotions too. Evoke the wrong emotions and you're asking your team to have to play twice as hard to win, just because you've been a jerk at the games. Just enjoy the games and let the players, coaches, and refs decide the outcome. GOD Bless!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Sorry but I find it hard to believe that you are an official. Once an official, always an official. We are our only friends! We do get ???punished??? for screwing up. If I went out and pulled some stunt that got 15 calls to the state office the following morning in a region game then I probably won??™t be going to the state!

That is punishment. I have seen officials removed from games because of something that goes on during the week. For the most part you don??™t get to this level if you haven??™t proven yourself along the way. Saying that someone needs to be punished is a pretty big statement. Why don??™t you actually offer a solution as apposed to a generalization??

How should we be punished in your opinion? Let??™s look at it. You said you have seen a decline in Basketball. First it??™s not an appealing job because of folks like you. How are you going to entice more and more quality people to come out and get blasted night in and night out?? So you can??™t get new talent, all the more experienced guys are hanging it up, they all say it??™s gotten out of control before they leave. So now it??™s input output. So you don??™t have enough bodies. You get a person that has proved themselves and you put them on the floor. Someone acts like an idiot and you toss them. So now you say on video it doesn??™t look like they deserved it. OK let??™s suspend the official so he is too scared to do his job next time. Now the coach can push it a little farther. Now the official quits. Cause really who wants to get yelled at for a net profit of $60 a night??? And that is with gas at $2 a gallon!

You say you??™re a football official. If basketball is declining so much then become a two sporter! Please help us out!! We obviously can??™t do a quality job without you!!!

First off, don't ever question my integrity by questioning if I am telling the truth. I have no reason to get on a message board and make that crap up. Secondly, calm down. I was just saying that a few of the officials that I have seen should not be on the court. They are more interested in their own agenda than worrying about the real emphasis of the game, the kids. As for the punishment of the officials, as a football official if I intentionally call a bad game or get into a verbal sparring match with the coach (and it can be proven) then I would welcome the punishment. I should not be out there to help determine the outcome. Just my opinion. I would say that in basketball that less than 5% of the officials are what I am describing. As for not being an official because I would not say these things if I were, what do you think a supervisor does. He criticizes officials and lets them know what they are doing wrong. They are officials themselves that are there to critique the other officials. I am not saying that I am one of those people that go into a gym and berate officials, I actually understand the human error factor since I do officiate football. I refuse to become a two sporter because I have called basketball before and it is a thankless job, even more so than football. I never said you could not do a quality job without me, I am saying that some just simply should not be out there. So sorry to hurt your feelings and bring you into reality, but not all officials are as honest as you would like them to be.

This thread is a dead issue. You have fans and refs that will always be on other sides of the fence. Why? Because fans cannot understand that, for the most part, refs come to do a job and go home. They take time, not a profession at this level, out of their busy lives to help our youth and do something they like, or love, to do. There are a FEW refs that, given the right team or circumstance, will cheat. Most of the time it is because a coach and that ref don't like each other. Other times it can be that ref went to school at one of the teams playing. There are many avenues that may alter their calling, but by in large, refs do a good job. Everyone makes mistakes. Take your vehicle for instance. Some vehicles are lemons off the lot. My wife's dad worked for GM in Detroit, and he said to never buy a vehicle that was made on Mondays or Fridays. Most of the lemons came from those days. The first two or three letters tell which day your vehicle was made. Anyway....my point being that everyone will make mistakes in whatever job they do. Fans make the mistake of going to games, thinking that if they really get on the ref or opposing team that it will help their team to victory. That is the furthest from the truth and will do the exact opposite!!! Refs are human and have emotions too. Evoke the wrong emotions and you're asking your team to have to play twice as hard to win, just because you've been a jerk at the games. Just enjoy the games and let the players, coaches, and refs decide the outcome. GOD Bless!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I agree with everything you are saying. I think for the most part that officials try to do a good job. However, there are a few that simply should not lace up the sneakers as they take it out on the kids when they don't like a coach or a school. Not fair to those kids.

First off, don't ever question my integrity by questioning if I am telling the truth. I have no reason to get on a message board and make that crap up. Secondly, calm down. I was just saying that a few of the officials that I have seen should not be on the court. They are more interested in their own agenda than worrying about the real emphasis of the game, the kids. As for the punishment of the officials, as a football official if I intentionally call a bad game or get into a verbal sparring match with the coach (and it can be proven) then I would welcome the punishment. I should not be out there to help determine the outcome. Just my opinion. I would say that in basketball that less than 5% of the officials are what I am describing. As for not being an official because I would not say these things if I were, what do you think a supervisor does. He criticizes officials and lets them know what they are doing wrong. They are officials themselves that are there to critique the other officials. I am not saying that I am one of those people that go into a gym and berate officials, I actually understand the human error factor since I do officiate football. I refuse to become a two sporter because I have called basketball before and it is a thankless job, even more so than football. I never said you could not do a quality job without me, I am saying that some just simply should not be out there. So sorry to hurt your feelings and bring you into reality, but not all officials are as honest as you would like them to be.

so, let me get this straight. it's not ok for others to question you, but its ok for you to question other peoples integrity. well GOD it's great to finally meet you.

so, let me get this straight. it's not ok for others to question you, but its ok for you to question other peoples integrity. well GOD it's great to finally meet you.

When did I question others integrity? Just because I say there are officials that should not be on the court? There are officials that should not step on the football field too. I don't understand why everyone is taking this so personally. I have said that the majority of officials do the best job they can do. Only a handful across the state are the ones that we are actually talking about in the topic. Unless you are one of those that goes into a game with an agenda, why are you so worried about what I think? As a coach, I have had it said to me by an official that he would take out something from the past on my team. If I am questioning that guys integrity, then so be it. Some officials should just hang up the stripes. That goes for all sports.

???First off, don't ever question my integrity by questioning if I am telling the truth.???

Liar.

Now when can I expect my message board beating?

Well if I am a liar, I must be just watching the football games on Friday night. If I am a liar, I must not have been ranked the #1 official at my position for the past 3 years. If I am a liar, I must not be officiating at the college level. If I am a liar, I must not have been approved by the state for a Championship game. I must be a great liar to make all that up. I give my opinion about the officials, which is why this topic was started in the first place, and then you question if I am telling the truth. You must be the same idiot that called the Oak Ridge/LC region game. Congratulations for making my point about the basketball officials.

Well if I am a liar, I must be just watching the football games on Friday night. If I am a liar, I must not have been ranked the #1 official at my position for the past 3 years. If I am a liar, I must not be officiating at the college level. If I am a liar, I must not have been approved by the state for a Championship game. I must be a great liar to make all that up. I give my opinion about the officials, which is why this topic was started in the first place, and then you question if I am telling the truth. You must be the same idiot that called the Oak Ridge/LC region game. Congratulations for making my point about the basketball officials.

And you must be the one with the ego everybody is crying about!!!!!

And you must be the one with the ego everybody is crying about!!!!!

You can say I have an ego if you want. I was just throwing some things out there to show that I at least have a concept of what officials do and how they are treated. I admire basketball officials that try to do a good job, I really do. But those that are not in it for the right reasons simply need to retire, hang it up, or just go do some rec league ball. That goes for any sport. If you are not out there for the right reasons, then go home. I personally don't think that I have an ego. I am not out there on Friday nights trying to get to the next level. When I am out there, I am doing one thing. Trying to call the game fairly so that all the kids have a fair shot. If I have offended some of you, I apologize, but I still think that there are some officials that simply should not be given a whistle. That may be what some think of me when I am on the field. If so, I can only work to get better.