Battleground Academy 2009-2010

Kbdatruth2

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the rumors are true, they have recruited some pretty good players from Mt. Pleasant Middle School.

Knowing Coach Johnson like I do, he won't recruit because that isn't within the rules but he will coach the guys that he has to the fullest. Looking at BGA, they will be young in several key positions (QB, WR, DL) but they will be strong at OL and RB. The previous comment about playoff team may be a reach, I think they are in one of the toughest divisions in Tennessee, look at the number of College Prospects that come out of this division. They don't have the depth of the other teams in the division and should really be in the division with Davidson, Ezell and FRA. They only have 350 kids in the whole High School at BGA, including girls. They will have to stay injury free and play mistake free football to be competitive because of the youth for the next couple of years. They will be playing a lot of ninth (9th) graders who will have to take some lumps but it will pay off in the long run. Look for some of the young guys to bring some excitement as well as some hard aches and pain this coming season. The success of the last couple of years has brought higher expectations and a tougher schedule the next few years, they play the likes of Marshall County, Franklin, Pearl Cohn, BA, MBA, Ensworth, Baylor and Pope John Paul II to name a few. I would hope the AD at BGA would appeal to the TSSAA and request a move down to the proper division in the next couple of years. That would be the fair thing for them to do so that the kids/athletes could be on equal footing with schools of their own size. The football played at that division is pretty good, the number one player in the state and the number one WR in the country played in that division (Marlon Brown) and Davidson has a RB who can play with anyone in the state, the kid is GOOD. Good Luck to BGA and all of the area schools as they begin to prepare for the upcoming season during Spring Practice.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh God...don't post about the team or yourselves. I mean seriously now, none of us did that in our four years...don't be those 1-A hreets who talk on here about the team...yall know better.

1)Offensive line has ok size and players, but will be young and fairly inexperienced; will need to gel quickly to protect a new QB and clear lanes for Moore and Bass.

2)Losing Ramsey is one of three fatal flaws between 2008 and 09. The offense will still function(Coach U is great) but will be severely limited in its openess and leadership.

3)Moore showed up as the most consistent and hard running back since Karl; he really had a showcase against MUS. Bass needs a little more size and downhill running and the backfield (minus QB) will be the best since Karl/Hickerson.

4)The Smith brothers and Weiss will be good options for the passing game (though not many passes should be forcasted.) Losing Doran and Reeves at WR drops the size and blocking advantage in the run game.

5)D-line returns in full and should be a strong point if a little more size can be added. George and Maynard will have to step up.

6)Losing Reeves and Neal hurt argueable as much as Ramsey. Teams ran away from them which proved a wildcard. Barlow and Taylor(ha me. I dont play anymore so I can say this) were consistent enough to pick up the leftovers from Reeves and Neal, so losing them will force either Meadows, Butler, or Aaron to step in a linebacker.

7)Both corners return but replacements for Reeves and Ramsey at the safties will need to be found (Thomson, Weiss?)

8)No one can replace Neal, Reeves, and Ramsey in terms of impact, so younger players such as Thomson and the Smiths will need to step up on both sides of the ball.

9)No replacements for McInturff and Magalanese. This impact will be felt majorly when field positon and extra points are the difference between a good season and a bad one.

In conclusion, the schedule, region and non, is much more difficult. The season could result in a solid 5-5 type year, yet could dissolve into a 1-9 campaign. The team will be tested for 10 weeks rather than only 6. It will be interesting to see the dedication, grit, etc when things get tough. The offense will go as far as U, Moore, and Bass can take it. The defense will need to grow up quickly by region play, or else this team could look like Pope last year at worst.

Good luck guys. The coaching staff is amazing enough for at least 3 wins at Red Boiling Springs, so please get those. If any school can prove crap predictions wrong, it's Battle Ground (not Battleground...yall have alot to learn.)

Knowing Coach Johnson like I do, he won't recruit because that isn't within the rules but he will coach the guys that he has to the fullest. Looking at BGA, they will be young in several key positions (QB, WR, DL) but they will be strong at OL and RB. The previous comment about playoff team may be a reach, I think they are in one of the toughest divisions in Tennessee, look at the number of College Prospects that come out of this division. They don't have the depth of the other teams in the division and should really be in the division with Davidson, Ezell and FRA. They only have 350 kids in the whole High School at BGA, including girls. They will have to stay injury free and play mistake free football to be competitive because of the youth for the next couple of years. They will be playing a lot of ninth (9th) graders who will have to take some lumps but it will pay off in the long run. Look for some of the young guys to bring some excitement as well as some hard aches and pain this coming season. The success of the last couple of years has brought higher expectations and a tougher schedule the next few years, they play the likes of Marshall County, Franklin, Pearl Cohn, BA, MBA, Ensworth, Baylor and Pope John Paul II to name a few. I would hope the AD at BGA would appeal to the TSSAA and request a move down to the proper division in the next couple of years. That would be the fair thing for them to do so that the kids/athletes could be on equal footing with schools of their own size. The football played at that division is pretty good, the number one player in the state and the number one WR in the country played in that division (Marlon Brown) and Davidson has a RB who can play with anyone in the state, the kid is GOOD. Good Luck to BGA and all of the area schools as they begin to prepare for the upcoming season during Spring Practice.

Had we gone to DII-A, I would have 2 state championship rings /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" /> IMO the school administration is more worried about being a BA/Ensworth clone rather than being BGA. Fix the academics. Cater to blue collar families in FRANKLIN. Have more pride in the 100+ years of traditions (we are in the friggin ESPN College Football Encyclopedia.) The glory years of the school were when we played schools our size. And just because they played in a lower class, the teams were just as good (beat MBA in 2002.) Remember who you are!

OK, I'll bite. In what context is a high school listed in a college football encyclopedia?

We are on one of Vandy's olddddd schedules in the book under the old school name, The Moony School. Also, in the 100 year anniversary BGA Football book, it says we use to play the likes of Sewanee, Vandy, and UT.

BGA football has droped off so much since the mid 80's, they are more of a threat to date my daughter on a late Friday night, then they are to win games next year......but good luck /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Not really any success in the 80s (Never went to the play-offs when my dad was there.) The glory years in the play-off era were the 90's (except for maybe 2 or 3 bad years?) and the early 00s. These occured in 1A (before BA screwed it up for everyone) and in DII-A and AA (when AAA was the Super 7.) Next year may be pretty rough, but if the players go in with the right attitude, that staff can salvage an acceptable season under the guise of a "rebuilding year."

And for realsies? Based on your posts your a Ryan supporter...oh golly there is just soooo much to be proud of with the football program. One recent state championship (I may be wrong. I am young) is just really prestigous. The only reason yall were an original Super Prep member was because of enrollment. Go wrestle or build a stadium or something. Oh, our baseball team just beat yall twice in one week...and SEVEN to THREE 7-3 7-3 7-3. Big threat yall were /tongue.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Oh God...don't post about the team or yourselves. I mean seriously now, none of us did that in our four years...don't be those 1-A hreets who talk on here about the team...yall know better.

1)Offensive line has ok size and players, but will be young and fairly inexperienced; will need to gel quickly to protect a new QB and clear lanes for Moore and Bass.

2)Losing Ramsey is one of three fatal flaws between 2008 and 09. The offense will still function(Coach U is great) but will be severely limited in its openess and leadership.

3)Moore showed up as the most consistent and hard running back since Karl; he really had a showcase against MUS. Bass needs a little more size and downhill running and the backfield (minus QB) will be the best since Karl/Hickerson.

4)The Smith brothers and Weiss will be good options for the passing game (though not many passes should be forcasted.) Losing Doran and Reeves at WR drops the size and blocking advantage in the run game.

5)D-line returns in full and should be a strong point if a little more size can be added. George and Maynard will have to step up.

6)Losing Reeves and Neal hurt argueable as much as Ramsey. Teams ran away from them which proved a wildcard. Barlow and Taylor(ha me. I dont play anymore so I can say this) were consistent enough to pick up the leftovers from Reeves and Neal, so losing them will force either Meadows, Butler, or Aaron to step in a linebacker.

7)Both corners return but replacements for Reeves and Ramsey at the safties will need to be found (Thomson, Weiss?)

8)No one can replace Neal, Reeves, and Ramsey in terms of impact, so younger players such as Thomson and the Smiths will need to step up on both sides of the ball.

9)No replacements for McInturff and Magalanese. This impact will be felt majorly when field positon and extra points are the difference between a good season and a bad one.

In conclusion, the schedule, region and non, is much more difficult. The season could result in a solid 5-5 type year, yet could dissolve into a 1-9 campaign. The team will be tested for 10 weeks rather than only 6. It will be interesting to see the dedication, grit, etc when things get tough. The offense will go as far as U, Moore, and Bass can take it. The defense will need to grow up quickly by region play, or else this team could look like Pope last year at worst.

Good luck guys. The coaching staff is amazing enough for at least 3 wins at Red Boiling Springs, so please get those. If any school can prove crap predictions wrong, it's Battle Ground (not Battleground...yall have alot to learn.)

I agree with you on most of your post AP but I have watched BGA the last couple of years and I think they will need to improve their confidence. It was evident last year that they went as Ramsey and Reeves went, if they were off the team was off. Being that BGA is the smallest in the DII-AA Region I hope that they appeal and get to move down in the next couple of years so that they are playing teams their own size. Besides the big three of last year I understand they also lost a center and tackle but the young guys stepping in have some game experience. I met the Johnson kid and watched some tape on him, I think he could be okay but he needs to be more consistent. GOOD LUCK TO BGA, they are going to need it this year.