Battleground Academy 2009-2010

Kbdatruth2

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on wt movinup said they will be small and pretty fast. It seems like they have no depth at all though. Good luck guys.

BGA's depth is directly related to the size of the school. BGA has around 120 male students in 10th, 11th and 12th grades. Compare that to an MBA which has more than 300. BGA elected to play in a classification above their enrollment level and that is why they are no longer winning state championships like they did when they were in Division 1A or single A before the reclassification. BGA has great coaching and Johnson and his staff get the most out of the kids they have. If they can keep their kids in school, BGA should be able to compete for a state championship in two years as the current Sophomore and Freshman classes are physically bigger with some good athletes.

BGA's depth is directly related to the size of the school. BGA has around 120 male students in 10th, 11th and 12th grades. Compare that to an MBA which has more than 300. BGA elected to play in a classification above their enrollment level and that is why they are no longer winning state championships like they did when they were in Division 1A or single A before the reclassification. BGA has great coaching and Johnson and his staff get the most out of the kids they have. If they can keep their kids in school, BGA should be able to compete for a state championship in two years as the current Sophomore and Freshman classes are physically bigger with some good athletes.

Isn't BGA roughly the same size as Ensworth? They don't seem to have any problem competing.

Also, is BGA having trouble keeping kids in school because of academics? You alluded to them keeping kids in school. What do you mean by that? Just curious.

Isn't BGA roughly the same size as Ensworth? They don't seem to have any problem competing.

Also, is BGA having trouble keeping kids in school because of academics? You alluded to them keeping kids in school. What do you mean by that? Just curious.

I was really addressing the depth issue more than trying to make an excuse. I think BGA was competitive last year and will be as long as Johnson and U are there. You are correct - Ensworth is not much larger than BGA. I believe they still meet the enrollment requirements for DII AA and did not have to request to be moved up like BGA. Ricky Bowers is the master of attracting top athletes (notice I did not use the "R" word). Players like Tavarrus Jefferson Orleans Darkwar and Antonio Richardson can make a huge impact on a program. As for keeping the kids in school comment, BGA lost one of their best football players in the spring because he broke the honor code (had to do with receiving answers ahead of time on a test). This is a kid who started as a freshman and sophomore and was being looked at by some mid majors. He was a huge loss because he would have started at tight end and outside LB. BGA also lost a really good lineman to academics last season. In addition, they have lost two high potential players to Ensworth. One is Drew Parker whose brother starred on BGA's basketball team. He will be the no. 1 or 2 QB at Ensworth as a Junior this year and went to BGA until his freshman year. Then the little brother of Jamal Ramsey, BGA's starting QB last season, is transferring to Ensworth from BGA this year. He will be a freshman and is supposedly set to be a future star wide receiver.

I was really addressing the depth issue more than trying to make an excuse. I think BGA was competitive last year and will be as long as Johnson and U are there. You are correct - Ensworth is not much larger than BGA. I believe they still meet the enrollment requirements for DII AA and did not have to request to be moved up like BGA. Ricky Bowers is the master of attracting top athletes (notice I did not use the "R" word). Players like Tavarrus Jefferson Orleans Darkwar and Antonio Richardson can make a huge impact on a program. As for keeping the kids in school comment, BGA lost one of their best football players in the spring because he broke the honor code (had to do with receiving answers ahead of time on a test). This is a kid who started as a freshman and sophomore and was being looked at by some mid majors. He was a huge loss because he would have started at tight end and outside LB. BGA also lost a really good lineman to academics last season. In addition, they have lost two high potential players to Ensworth. One is Drew Parker whose brother starred on BGA's basketball team. He will be the no. 1 or 2 QB at Ensworth as a Junior this year and went to BGA until his freshman year. Then the little brother of Jamal Ramsey, BGA's starting QB last season, is transferring to Ensworth from BGA this year. He will be a freshman and is supposedly set to be a future star wide receiver.

Just in terms of classification, I feel as if the administration, at least a few years ago, did not have their hearts in the right place. Moving up was a choice based solely on money and supposed prestige. As I have said before, the focus of high school sports should be on the athletes, but in this case was on everything but. Despite not beating the top tier teams, BGA did carve out a solid niche in the middle of DII-AA (though I do say, outside of a few bad breaks in the EHS game, BGA could have won the region and possibly gone further in the play-offs), which I suppose warrants staying in the upper class. Still though, I think BGA's place is in Single A. That is not putting the school down in anyway, that's just where it belongs. Same as BA will always play up as far as they can, and how Lipscomb fits into DI, BGA fits in Single A. If BGA moved down, they would keep they same caliber of athletes as they have always had, but they would excel. And yes this is slightly biased, but I that our starting 11 on offense and our starting 11 on defense were as good if not better than anyone, but in the end, when 6 of the 11 on offense also start on defense, it's really hard to compete with MUS when they seem to rotate the defensive line every play. Last year we beat DA, a school with a larger enrollment. We finished well and made the play-offs; DA won a state championship. In the end, which one is more remembered?

Please, for the sake of sanity, move down. Hang some more banners in that gym. Don't just hope to get enough transfers between 6th and 9th grade to pad the team enough to make the play-offs. In hindsight, I love that school and I would love to see it succeed as a whole. I think moving down would honestly benefit the school on the field and off.

Oh, and if they ever do move down, please play BA, FHS, PHS, and EHS in non-region play. Local rivalries are awesome lol

Just in terms of classification, I feel as if the administration, at least a few years ago, did not have their hearts in the right place. Moving up was a choice based solely on money and supposed prestige. As I have said before, the focus of high school sports should be on the athletes, but in this case was on everything but. Despite not beating the top tier teams, BGA did carve out a solid niche in the middle of DII-AA (though I do say, outside of a few bad breaks in the EHS game, BGA could have won the region and possibly gone further in the play-offs), which I suppose warrants staying in the upper class. Still though, I think BGA's place is in Single A. That is not putting the school down in anyway, that's just where it belongs. Same as BA will always play up as far as they can, and how Lipscomb fits into DI, BGA fits in Single A. If BGA moved down, they would keep they same caliber of athletes as they have always had, but they would excel. And yes this is slightly biased, but I that our starting 11 on offense and our starting 11 on defense were as good if not better than anyone, but in the end, when 6 of the 11 on offense also start on defense, it's really hard to compete with MUS when they seem to rotate the defensive line every play. Last year we beat DA, a school with a larger enrollment. We finished well and made the play-offs; DA won a state championship. In the end, which one is more remembered?

Please, for the sake of sanity, move down. Hang some more banners in that gym. Don't just hope to get enough transfers between 6th and 9th grade to pad the team enough to make the play-offs. In hindsight, I love that school and I would love to see it succeed as a whole. I think moving down would honestly benefit the school on the field and off.

Oh, and if they ever do move down, please play BA, FHS, PHS, and EHS in non-region play. Local rivalries are awesome lol

I heard they moved up because of baseball and coach Myers. Don't know if that is true just what I heard. It won't happen but my preference would be for BGA to play in DI with CPA.

I heard they moved up because of baseball and coach Myers. Don't know if that is true just what I heard. It won't happen but my preference would be for BGA to play in DI with CPA.

So the baseball coach has that much pull at BGA? Hasn't worked out for the last few years, even with England and the Moore brothers. (didn't hear me say the "R" word)

Eh, BGA would have to quit giving financial aid. Best case scenario would be a re merger and have BGA play against Ravenwood, Franklin, etc; or even a region with Page wouldn't be that bad.

So the baseball coach has that much pull at BGA? Hasn't worked out for the last few years, even with England and the Moore brothers. (didn't hear me say the "R" word)

Around the time that the choice was made a few years back the baseball team had just finished runner up, the basketball team made state every year, and the guys soccer team had finished in the top 20 in the nation.

Still, it was foolish to move up. And honestly, depending on how long Johnson stays (I think he is destined for Lincoln Co.) BGA will probably move down. He's a much better AD than Rogers so I think better choices will be made.

Eh, BGA would have to quit giving financial aid. Best case scenario would be a re merger and have BGA play against Ravenwood, Franklin, etc; or even a region with Page wouldn't be that bad.

Around the time that the choice was made a few years back the baseball team had just finished runner up, the basketball team made state every year, and the guys soccer team had finished in the top 20 in the nation.

Still, it was foolish to move up. And honestly, depending on how long Johnson stays (I think he is destined for Lincoln Co.) BGA will probably move down. He's a much better AD than Rogers so I think better choices will be made.

AP - Why do you keep saying Johnson iwill end up at Lincoln County? There is no way Lincoln County could pay him close to what he makes at BGA. I know he is from there but the economics would not make sense for him. If he left BGA, I think it would be to go to a higher paying job like an Ensworth or MBA. What Ensworth pays their coaches is unbelievable.

AP - Why do you keep saying Johnson iwill end up at Lincoln County? There is no way Lincoln County could pay him close to what he makes at BGA. I know he is from there but the economics would not make sense for him. If he left BGA, I think it would be to go to a higher paying job like an Ensworth or MBA. What Ensworth pays their coaches is unbelievable.

Most people go home when it calls. Obviously I want him to stay at BGA, but it's just an opinion. And I don't know first hand, but I'd assume he's have more freedom and in the end resources at Lincoln Co. I could be completely off on that but I think LCHS takes football about as seriously as any school in the state. So in the end, I think LCHS is able to commit to the football program like BGA can not, which will draw him there.

One last time, this is just an opinion. I don't know the logistics, etc. Just an opinion lol

• 3 weeks later...