High School Softball should be moved to the fall

purplemonster

I agree, the only problem is you may end up with more injured players in the fall coming off of a full schedule of travel ball. There would have to set a time frame for travel ball to be played so the girls and get some rest as well.

I agree the spring weather is bad for softball.

Well my opinion is that it should be moved to the Fall of the year.

1st - Too many weather related cancellations. Move Volleyball (an inside sport) to the Spring.

2nd - More College coaches would be able to see High School games.

Most schools start classes in the 2nd week of August. First practice could be August 10th 2009 and first game would then be September 10th 2009.

Growing pains??? Oh yes, there would be many growing pains. However, if it was done this year, you could go ahead and play this spring and then start back up this fall. No need to skip a 18 months.

WAIT!!!

I'm not suggesting it be changed this year. But, it could be planned and completed by the fall of 2010.

It basically comes down to one thing. What is best for the kids and the sport?

Just like a couple of pennies... My 2 cents worth...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been sitting here and reading and reading, trying to fiure out a way to do this but the best I can say is to not move anyone and players have to make a decison on what they play if that is an issue and then work out a schedule if you can. The original senario with moving volleyball will not work because of a National Club schedule, one event in Indianapolis which was a regional event drew 20000 and is posted on the VB Forum. It mentioned the number of college/university coaches and I am afraid to quote the article. In Franklin three weeks ago in two locations there had to have been 1500/1600 players and around 20-25 college/university coaches, some SEC. The next weekend a smaller tournament with 15 college/university. That season runs from about Feb-May. Volleyball school season runs 3 and a half months and State wide there were about 60 tournamsnts which the VB forum is now accumulating for schools to find events close to where the school is to cut down on travel expense.In addition to the tournaments, District and non district play will play 1-2 times a week. Some 350 High Schools play VB both DivI and DivII and about, I think about 275 Middle Schools. High Schools may average 12-15 per school and middle schools may average 20. These are all estimates. it is a larger sport than one might imagine.

Indian Chief hit the nail on the head. Not to disappoint you, moving sports around is not the answer but good thought. Attending exposure eventsin the fallmay bethe best you can do with seeing what the TSSAA can do with a waiver for players and a coach. Thats not much help. Hit um long and high.

Well my opinion is that it should be moved to the Fall of the year.

1st - Too many weather related cancellations. Move Volleyball (an inside sport) to the Spring.

2nd - More College coaches would be able to see High School games.

Most schools start classes in the 2nd week of August. First practice could be August 10th 2009 and first game would then be September 10th 2009.

Growing pains??? Oh yes, there would be many growing pains. However, if it was done this year, you could go ahead and play this spring and then start back up this fall. No need to skip a 18 months.

WAIT!!!

I'm not suggesting it be changed this year. But, it could be planned and completed by the fall of 2010.

It basically comes down to one thing. What is best for the kids and the sport?

Just like a couple of pennies... My 2 cents worth...

I'm right there with ya!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, the only problem is you may end up with more injured players in the fall coming off of a full schedule of travel ball. There would have to set a time frame for travel ball to be played so the girls and get some rest as well.

I agree the spring weather is bad for softball.

This year has to be setting records for cancellations. Just look outside right now.

You, ma'am, should be a weather(wo)man! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

We have had 3 straight tournaments rained out and we have more games to make up than we have played. It seems to be this way every year. The weather is so much better for softball in the fall. I say switch softball and volleyball. Does anyone have any pros and cons?

The pro-The team here got in 3 good tournaments against some of the best competition in the state, any class. So far in two tournaments they've played two games out of at least eight that would have been played. Nine games so far. The district game rescheduled for today will probably be postponed for the second time.

The pro-The team here got in 3 good tournaments against some of the best competition in the state, any class. So far in two tournaments they've played two games out of at least eight that would have been played.

The pro is that the weather is much better in the fall.

A con for me is that I also coach football. (I would have to make a choice.)

I think a con would be tournaments played on Fall weekends. I think a big part of the high school experience is Friday night Football. I think every student, especially athletes would miss out on some great experiences if we are playing softball on Friday night in the fall.

I think a con is having tournaments while college football is being played on Saturday's. In the South, football is KING!

Some may not agree with me, but this is just my humble opinion.

The pro is that the weather is much better in the fall.

A con for me is that I also coach football. (I would have to make a choice.)

I think a con would be tournaments played on Fall weekends. I think a big part of the high school experience is Friday night Football. I think every student, especially athletes would miss out on some great experiences if we are playing softball on Friday night in the fall.

I think a con is having tournaments while college football is being played on Saturday's. In the South, football is KING!

Some may not agree with me, but this is just my humble opinion.

Yeah, weekend tournaments would interfere with football and that would be a con. I think a pro would be that the girls coming straight from summer ball would be ready to go right away and the competition may be better. Another pro is booster club income. I think attendance would be greater in the fall and fund raising tournaments would be less likely to get rained out.