One of the worst officiated games ive seen

Ok plain and simple... Bartlett shouldnt have even played central and overton against millington. Both those teams lost so they should have been out... Now they get another shot to go to the state after losing regional champship.. What was the point of even playing the regional championships win or lose you play again to make it to the state. It should have been Millington and Central an automatic state trip. You say im whining or what ever but all im saying is it doesnt seem right to get a lose in post season and still get a 2nd chance...

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok plain and simple... Bartlett shouldnt have even played central and overton against millington. Both those teams lost so they should have been out... Now they get another shot to go to the state after losing regional champship.. What was the point of even playing the regional championships win or lose you play again to make it to the state. It should have been Millington and Central an automatic state trip. You say im whining or what ever but all im saying is it doesnt seem right to get a lose in post season and still get a 2nd chance...

Get over It! Support your teams representing Memphis/Shelby. They have the best two teams going. thats the reason you play the games. Move on .

This is how the TSSAA has set it up for years and they are not going to change it. They take the 2 best teams out of each region and match them against the 2 best teams from another region. Like stated before they do this because the 2nd best in one region may be better than best in another region. They give the region champ an advantage by letting them host the game and if the region champ can't beat the 2nd best from another region they don't deserve to go to state.

Millington is the better team just had an off night , some great officiating, and in foul trouble from the 1st half.....still only lost by 4. You tell me who is really the better team. Yes that night was overton persay. 40 free throws to 19 hmmmmm you tell me.

They weren't the better team that night so get over it. I haven't seen Millington play this year but i got to see them last year when they beat Greeneville in 2 OTs and they were a good team. The 2 best teams might not make it to championship but every team has its day and Overton had their day. It happens all the time in sports but you don't hear everyone crying like you....i'm sure teams could make the same argument as you but they don't because its been this way for years.

So.... using your logic, Millington should have played Central. If a team loses to the Regional Runner Up do they stand a better chance against the Regional Champions? I don't think so. Millington's Region is the weakest in the area so they've had excellent positioning to come even this far. Millington is a great team, and it's beneath the team to call for an overhaul of the system because they lost to a worthy opponent.

Now that you mention region strength, the following is the average of the eight teams SOS in each region and the teams that made it out and their SOS:

Region 1 - 45 (Tennessee SOS 94)

Region 2 - 61 (Powell SOS 55)

Region 3 - 70

Region 4 - 38 (Blackman SOS 13, Cookeville SOS 11)

Region 5 - 41

Region 6 - 81 (Hillsboro SOS 91, McGavock SOS 66)

Region 7 - 76

Region 8 - 38 (Memphis Central SOS 10, Memphis Overton SOS 12)

That puts Hillsboro and McGavock in the weakest region just behind Region 7(Millington), but both Hillsboro and McGavock and been ranked the top ten in middle tennessee for most of the year and they beat two teams(Wilson Central and LaVergne) from a region with a much stronger SOS of 41.

One of the strongest regions, #4 has Blackman and Cookeville, both of which consistantly ranked out of the top ten behind Shelbyville and Riverdale.

Playing a tougher schedule can certainly help prepare a team even in a loss, but if they peak to soon or have bad matchups, the numbers don't mean much.

Just adjust the state tournament to a Sweet 16 format and we all go.....there problem solved /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

They weren't the better team that night so get over it. I haven't seen Millington play this year but i got to see them last year when they beat Greeneville in 2 OTs and they were a good team. The 2 best teams might not make it to championship but every team has its day and Overton had their day. It happens all the time in sports but you don't hear everyone crying like you....i'm sure teams could make the same argument as you but they don't because its been this way for years.

Well said Ryan! Some people just don't get it no matter what! Go fiqure! shhhhhh!

I believe the thread of this topic was one of the worst officiated games I've seen. Now it's a he said she said. Basketball is the only game that rewards being average once the post season starts. In an eight team district, you can go 1-2 in the tournament and advance to the region. Once you get to the region, you can go 2-1 and advance to the substate. That's 3-3 and you still have a chance to go to the state tournament. That's insane!

I was at the game and it was one of the worst officiated games I have seen in my life from 3 officials I haven't seen all season. But I am not going to take anything away from Overton. They played hard and Jasmine Robinson is a player. But our own Jasmine Newsome is pretty special too. Trojans missed at least 10 "gimmes" (within 3 ft of the basket). Make those and all the fouls aren't even being considered.

Good luck to Overton and Central in the tournament.

Millington had 8 turnovers, shot 17 for 19 from the free throw line, made 17 (2) point baskets and 5 (3) point baskets. We missed some easy baskets that we should have made. However, I was aware of the tough night we had with the officials but after watching the film I'm left a little confused about some rules. Is it a lane violation if a person steps in the lane before the ball hits the rim and I'm not talking a milli second where it is not easy to see but just as the ball is in the middle of the lane heading to the rim or just as the ball is released. This happened 8 times.

The toughest thing to overcome was how the 1st quarter ended. The score was Millington 18 to 16 and Overton got a rebound and started a fast break and a foul was called on Jasmine Newsome. Newsome walked to the sideline to prepare to sit the last 23 seconds of the 1st quarter because she had gotten her 3rd foul and she was standing by the coach's box and saw her sub at the table and sat down and I reminded her that she had to get up and she stood right up. The lady official, not sure of her name, turned and gave her a technical foul so instead of Overton getting 2 free throws and Millington getting the ball back, they get 4 free throws and the ball. During this last 23 seconds they make a three due to a bad rotation on defense. So they scored 7 points in 23 seconds without making us turn it over. Instead of the quarter being tied 18 to 18 at worst we were down 23 to 18. An intentional foul was called by the same official when we were down 3 with a little less than a minute to go in the game when we hit the ball out of the girls hand but she said that we went for the body so they got 2 shots and the ball and was given it the full length of the floor. Just a little confused on some rules but Overton is a very tough and well coached team. This game had the energy of a state tournament game.

Other than the officials both teams fought hard and made some really exciting plays that the fans enjoyed.

If some of the guys/girls??? responding to my post saying i need to get over it..... I did state in the first post overton out played millington as a team... I wasnt whinning about the loss i was stating i dont understand the extra games the losing teams get and the winning teams get 1 loss and boom there out...But i do get riled up from the smart !@# remarks i get back when im not trying to be argumentative. Its my opinion. Also Coachgat didnt mention Latesha had a rough game only scoring 2 points which is very unusual and it happened on a very important game. For the peple who dont know who she is she usually scores a good amount if im not mistaken...

Coachgat please get Big Miesha's confidence up cause i do believe she would be a huge factor next yr. I was very proud of her when you put her in she seemed like a totally diff person that night .. She seemed to get mad and looked liked she had confidence scoring 4 points... She is a monster compared to any player iv seen. 6'3 or 6'4?? 240? lol she could man handle any girl in the city that i have seen. Man i wanted you guys to play central again but i guess it wasnt in the books. Well we'll have to wait till next yr which is something to look forward to.