Region 7AA in '09-'10

13aafanatic

I was informed of this post, and decided (against perhaps better judgment) to join CoachT and respond. I can assure you that the first time I spoke to the Pates was in our principal's office and no discussion of playing time was mentioned. I take your comment about her asking me ("the coach at OC) if whe would get playing time and my subsequent response as a strike against my character. I am a good many things; however, I do pride myself as being an ethical man. I do not tell kids already on our team, so it is extremely unlikely I would ever tell someone, whom I had only seen a few times at an individual camp in South Fulton a couple of years ago, that "yes" she would be getting playing time. The actual order of events went something like this: I was called into my principal's office and informed that the Pates were moving into our county; I was then informed that Katie would like to join our athletic period during the school day because she was interested in playing on our team; I questioned all involved to make sure there was a legitimate move being made and making sure that all parities must be informed and paperwork finalized before I would allow Katie to be a participant in our program; I then went to my office to make sure that your coaches there at Gibson Co. were aware of what was taking place (I did not want them to be as shocked as I was in July); finally, Katie became a welcome member of our team, made valuable contributions to our endeavors, and was well-received by both players, staff, and community members.

I will not involve myself in any accusations against the Reedy's or Gibson Co. program. I maintain respect for both. However, I will not allow others to make false accusations against me either.

Well said Coach Suiter!! I commend you for taking a stand but these idiots on here making these accusations don't deserve the attention they are getting. Most of these people are kids that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground and the rest of them are just crying over spilled milk. As long as you and your staff know what happened who cares what anyone on here has to say about it. If there had been any wrong doing on either side we would already know about it. Instead you have rumors that have been lingering around for nearly 8 months. Everyone needs to bury this topic. It has been over and the crying should be also!!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Coach Suiter!! I commend you for taking a stand but these idiots on here making these accusations don't deserve the attention they are getting. Most of these people are kids that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground and the rest of them are just crying over spilled milk. As long as you and your staff know what happened who cares what anyone on here has to say about it. If there had been any wrong doing on either side we would already know about it. Instead you have rumors that have been lingering around for nearly 8 months. Everyone needs to bury this topic. It has been over and the crying should be also!!

I totally agree with letting the topic be buried. Water under the bridge. Whatever the case with both transfers, it seems to have worked out for both young ladies. They both seem to be happy with their choice, and that's all that matters. It appears to be legal by all standards on both sides. I do take offense to the idiot comment. Most of us were just responding to the initial smart *** comment by ghostofwescharge bringing all this up on the board. My comments to him were more of a response to his sarcasm. There was no call to add his addendum to his prediction, but alas, he did and was called on it. I, myself, meant no offense to either Reedy, Pate, or either coach, and I hope none was taken. They are both great ball players with very good futures. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I totally agree with letting the topic be buried. Water under the bridge. Whatever the case with both transfers, it seems to have worked out for both young ladies. They both seem to be happy with their choice, and that's all that matters. It appears to be legal by all standards on both sides. I do take offense to the idiot comment. Most of us were just responding to the initial smart *** comment by ghostofwescharge bringing all this up on the board. My comments to him were more of a response to his sarcasm. There was no call to add his addendum to his prediction, but alas, he did and was called on it. I, myself, meant no offense to either Reedy, Pate, or either coach, and I hope none was taken. They are both great ball players with very good futures. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Sorry if you thought the "idiot" remark was pointed at you but the ones that keep harping on this without any knowledge or proof of the situation is where it was meant to be pointed. Maybe Coach Suiter's reply will hush some of the critics!!

Sorry if you thought the "idiot" remark was pointed at you but the ones that keep harping on this without any knowledge or proof of the situation is where it was meant to be pointed. Maybe Coach Suiter's reply will hush some of the critics!!

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am quite over myself.

The Pate transfer came about as a direct result of the Reedy transfer which occurred a half a year earlier by the way for those who don't know

Pate was in line for an expanded role on the 08-09 Lady Pioneers, Reedy moves to Gibson County for 100% basketball reasons (which is illegal by TSSAA bylaws by the way for those who don't know), and Pate is relegated to a minute or two per game.

So Pate moves to Obion Co. and takes on the role that she had taken away from her by an illegal transfer

hardly say I can blame her and you comparing the two is laughable, even more laughable than that is this is how you have justified it to yourself when they weren't simultaneous

good, at least one GC fan admits it was for purely basketball reasons

I read for as long as I could without posting. Ghost of Wescharge - do you really want to talk about transfers? I recall a certain player from Germantown that transferred to Westview a few years ago just to play basketball. Man- some folks have a short memory!!

I am a fan of 13AA basketball; I have no child or relative playing on any team and consider myself pretty unbiased. Obviously, players and their parents have reasons for transferring. Maybe they don't click with the current coach/team. Maybe there has been conflict with coaches and/or administration. As long as the transfer is approved by the TSSAA, no one can do a darn thing about it.

As for the Pates, well, they have a history of moving their kids when things aren't going their way. The oldest daughter went to Westview several years ago when the dad was still on the Gibson Co school board. And, yes, the poster who said that Bruce has worked in Union City for years is correct. They did not sell their home in Gibson Co and will no doubt be right back in it when Katie graduates. But, who cares? If they are happier in Obion Co, best wishes to them.

Coach Suiter, rumor has it from an OC fan that you have made some remarks that indicate that you do have some animosity towards Reedy, but she did make the all district and all region teams plus the all state tournament team, so she's probably pretty happy in GC. Must be some kind of trend over there - seems like another very talented OC girl who went on to Bethel talked of transferring to GC before Reedy did.

All that being said, every program has it's own issues and transfers happen for all kinds of reasons. I have no first hand info as to why Reedy did so, but I doubt it was just for the heck of it.

Bet Westview or Obion Central will be just as glad as GC if it happens to them in the future.

Best of luck to all the teams next year. Westview looks to be the toughest team.

I read for as long as I could without posting. Ghost of Wescharge - do you really want to talk about transfers? I recall a certain player from Germantown that transferred to Westview a few years ago just to play basketball. Man- some folks have a short memory!!

I am a fan of 13AA basketball; I have no child or relative playing on any team and consider myself pretty unbiased. Obviously, players and their parents have reasons for transferring. Maybe they don't click with the current coach/team. Maybe there has been conflict with coaches and/or administration. As long as the transfer is approved by the TSSAA, no one can do a darn thing about it.

As for the Pates, well, they have a history of moving their kids when things aren't going their way. The oldest daughter went to Westview several years ago when the dad was still on the Gibson Co school board. And, yes, the poster who said that Bruce has worked in Union City for years is correct. They did not sell their home in Gibson Co and will no doubt be right back in it when Katie graduates. But, who cares? If they are happier in Obion Co, best wishes to them.

Coach Suiter, rumor has it from an OC fan that you have made some remarks that indicate that you do have some animosity towards Reedy, but she did make the all district and all region teams plus the all state tournament team, so she's probably pretty happy in GC. Must be some kind of trend over there - seems like another very talented OC girl who went on to Bethel talked of transferring to GC before Reedy did.

All that being said, every program has it's own issues and transfers happen for all kinds of reasons. I have no first hand info as to why Reedy did so, but I doubt it was just for the heck of it.

Bet Westview or Obion Central will be just as glad as GC if it happens to them in the future.

Best of luck to all the teams next year. Westview looks to be the toughest team.

Fan4years, if you look on the Gibson Co. website (gcssd.org), Bruce Pate is still on the school board with his post not expiring until Aug 2009. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> If he's living in Obion Co. how is this possible? According to the board policy manual code 1.102 - Board Members Legal Status -members shall be residents of and elected from their respective district to serve 4 year terms. In the event of a vacancy, the unexpired term shall be filled by the board until the next general election. I would assume that moving out of your district would nullify your position on the board, but evidently this is not the case with the Gibson Co. Board. I guess if what you say about them not selling their home in Gibson Co. is true then they still have an established residence there. Very interesting. I agree with the statement that whatever makes them happy. I personally don't care where they live or where they go to school. I just hate it when people make disparaging remarks about some athletes and not about others. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Fan4years, if you look on the Gibson Co. website (gcssd.org), Bruce Pate is still on the school board with his post not expiring until Aug 2009. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> If he's living in Obion Co. how is this possible? According to the board policy manual code 1.102 - Board Members Legal Status -members shall be residents of and elected from their respective district to serve 4 year terms. In the event of a vacancy, the unexpired term shall be filled by the board until the next general election. I would assume that moving out of your district would nullify your position on the board, but evidently this is not the case with the Gibson Co. Board. I guess if what you say about them not selling their home in Gibson Co. is true then they still have an established residence there. Very interesting. I agree with the statement that whatever makes them happy. I personally don't care where they live or where they go to school. I just hate it when people make disparaging remarks about some athletes and not about others. Kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I am pretty sure that Bruce Pate resigned his position on the school board - I bet they just failed to update the website.

I agree with you - all of these folks are only making an issue out of Reedy transferring because she helped GC to win a state title. If the shoe were on the other foot, they would be more than happy to get a player like her.

I am 100% sure that Pate didn't sell his home in Rutherford - he is renting the home to someone who has commented that it is only temporary. The whole Pate thing is a joke. While I have no knowledge of why Reedy left OC, there is no doubt in the minds of those of us who have known the Pates since the oldest daughter went to Westview a few years ago that Katie going to OC had nothing to do with his job!! I haven't heard the Reedy's attempting to make excuses for their move. They would probably tell you in a heartbeat that it was basketball related. Don't you think?

I confirmed that Bruce Pate did resign from the board. He was replaced by David Whitworth.

I am pretty sure that Bruce Pate resigned his position on the school board - I bet they just failed to update the website.

I agree with you - all of these folks are only making an issue out of Reedy transferring because she helped GC to win a state title. If the shoe were on the other foot, they would be more than happy to get a player like her.

I am 100% sure that Pate didn't sell his home in Rutherford - he is renting the home to someone who has commented that it is only temporary. The whole Pate thing is a joke. While I have no knowledge of why Reedy left OC, there is no doubt in the minds of those of us who have known the Pates since the oldest daughter went to Westview a few years ago that Katie going to OC had nothing to do with his job!! I haven't heard the Reedy's attempting to make excuses for their move. They would probably tell you in a heartbeat that it was basketball related. Don't you think?

I don't know about the resignation, but it's possible. As for the Reedy's-yep, I'm sure they would tell you like it is from what I know of the family. Pretty straight shooters if you know what I mean. (pun intended) /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I just saw your post re: Pate resignation. Looks like GCSSD needs to update their website, doesn't it? /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />