Div II Favorite

GOAT2000

It is NOT left up to the individual schools. There is an TSSAA approved outside agency that makes the decision.

(just to repeat what has been posted at least 1,000 times before)

How are you so sure that it is not left up to the school? Do they not submit the paper work and then when the figures come back, the sit down and talk about what the family "can afford" and what the school is going to give them to make it reasonable.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you are saying is absolutely false, NO ONE who plays at the Varsity Level of a TSSAA Sport can get a full ride, period. There are no athletic scholarships, they are all need based. Every family has to turn in TAX Forms to the school, don't quote me on it but every family has to pay a percentage based on their income. Don't be so sure Bullard didn't get some aid, no matter how small or larger of an amount. 60% of all kids who attend DII schools receive some aid, whether they play sports or not.

Pearls before swine, Doc.

And as a point of reference, the school has no say in the determination, it's a company in Princeton. I believe they're affiliated with Educational Testing Service.

Why can you use the same predication with Ethey losnsworth being included? What have they done to be in with BA OR MBA? And this is the same ensworth team that lost to RYAN 2 seasons ago and had to have a late game kick-off return to win this year.

Ensworth has a good starting line-up, and they seem to be attracting good talent. They have a good coaching staff. I think that they've pretty much arrived. As to the team that lost to Ryan, two points come to mind: first, as another poster pointed out, losing to Ryan is not shameful. They're not the powerhouse they were in the '70's, but it's not a bad program by any stretch. Reintegrate the public and private schools, and they're a play-off team. Secondly, the Ensworth loss to Ryan came two weeks after Ensworth lost a very close game to MBA, 14-0. More importantly, they lost Tavares Jefferson in the MBA game, and struggled after that. As I've said a number of times, Ensworth's biggest problem will be depth (Records and scores come from RollRedRoll's High School Football Database).

In answer to the question, "What have they done to be in with BA or MBA?", the obvious answer is that they beat MBA last year. Not the greatest MBA team ever fielded, and not playing their best game, but Ensowrth won, and there was nothing "flukey" about it. A lot of what went wrong for MBA revolved around some young man in a black shirt being in a place where he wasn't wanted or anticipated.

Ensworth has a good starting line-up, and they seem to be attracting good talent. They have a good coaching staff. I think that they've pretty much arrived. As to the team that lost to Ryan, two points come to mind: first, as another poster pointed out, losing to Ryan is not shameful. They're not the powerhouse they were in the '70's, but it's not a bad program by any stretch. Reintegrate the public and private schools, and they're a play-off team. Secondly, the Ensworth loss to Ryan came two weeks after Ensworth lost a very close game to MBA, 14-0. More importantly, they lost Tavares Jefferson in the MBA game, and struggled after that. As I've said a number of times, Ensworth's biggest problem will be depth (Records and scores come from RollRedRoll's High School Football Database).

In answer to the question, "What have they done to be in with BA or MBA?", the obvious answer is that they beat MBA last year. Not the greatest MBA team ever fielded, and not playing their best game, but Ensowrth won, and there was nothing "flukey" about it. A lot of what went wrong for MBA revolved around some young man in a black shirt being in a place where he wasn't wanted or anticipated.

Sounds like Enworth is your DII favorite. What young man in a black shirt?

Sounds like Enworth is your DII favorite. What young man in a black shirt?

No, I think their depth issues will always be a significant problem (using one meaning of the word "favorite."). Using the alternative meaning of favorite, as an MBA, Ensworth will never be my favorite; i wouldn't pull for them with the brakes out on the team bus. Still, you do have to respect their talent.

No idea who the lad in the black shirt was; there just always seemed to be one between an MBA tackler and the Ensworth ballcarrier, or between the MBA ballcarrier and an opening.

tavares was back by the state semifinal game and BA still beat them.

BGA and MBA both would have allowed alex bullard, a BA senior from last year who is going to Notre Dame on a full ride, to attend their schools without paying a cent.

And that is absolutely false. As everyone has said, the financial aid is run through Princeton, etc etc. The only people that go to BGA on a full ride can not play Varsity sports. Seeing as all of these Northern Williamson Co. and Davidson Co. schools have multiple football players from farrrrrrr outside their "zone" it can be be fairly assumed that some grade of "recruiting" goes on. The problem arises when those players are treated much differently than other students and when the acquisition of these athletes becomes the focus of the school over education. The academics of BGA (and I'm assuming BA, Ryan, and MBA are the same) aren't as prestigous as they once were, so obviously the obsession is having its effects. And when Ensworth just stumbles upon a behemoth from Mt. Pleasant...well sorry, get off of the kool-aid, that isn't coincidince.

tavares was back by the state semifinal game and BA still beat them.

I think that BA wasn't exactly their traditional "good" this year. But in high school, when a team has such an excess of size, it is hard to match up with unless extreme depth in in place(MUS).

Meaning I don't think BA was very good this year as an actually team, they simply won due to size, etc.

And that is absolutely false. As everyone has said, the financial aid is run through Princeton, etc etc. The only people that go to BGA on a full ride can not play Varsity sports. Seeing as all of these Northern Williamson Co. and Davidson Co. schools have multiple football players from farrrrrrr outside their "zone" it can be be fairly assumed that some grade of "recruiting" goes on. The problem arises when those players are treated much differently than other students and when the acquisition of these athletes becomes the focus of the school over education. The academics of BGA (and I'm assuming BA, Ryan, and MBA are the same) aren't as prestigous as they once were, so obviously the obsession is having its effects. And when Ensworth just stumbles upon a behemoth from Mt. Pleasant...well sorry, get off of the kool-aid, that isn't coincidince.

I think that BA wasn't exactly their traditional "good" this year. But in high school, when a team has such an excess of size, it is hard to match up with unless extreme depth in in place(MUS).

Meaning I don't think BA was very good this year as an actually team, they simply won due to size, etc.

I agree with you that BA wasn't the same dominant BA we have all come accustom to seeing but they did get to the Championship. MUS matched them size for size and depth for depth and that was the difference in the Championship Game. MBA is the other DII Team who could match the depth because of the sheer number of guys in the school, just like MUS (all Boys Schools). If I have more bodies, I have more to pick from. BGA, Ensworth, Briarcrest are teams who can be competitive but just don't have the depth to compete week in and week out. BA, MUS and MBA can take out a first team Senior and put in a second team Junior but Ensworth, BGA and Briarcrest go from a Senior to a Sophomore or in some instances a Freshman. That is a huge disadvantage, we all know that.

I agree with you that BA wasn't the same dominant BA we have all come accustom to seeing but they did get to the Championship. MUS matched them size for size and depth for depth and that was the difference in the Championship Game. MBA is the other DII Team who could match the depth because of the sheer number of guys in the school, just like MUS (all Boys Schools). If I have more bodies, I have more to pick from. BGA, Ensworth, Briarcrest are teams who can be competitive but just don't have the depth to compete week in and week out. BA, MUS and MBA can take out a first team Senior and put in a second team Junior but Ensworth, BGA and Briarcrest go from a Senior to a Sophomore or in some instances a Freshman. That is a huge disadvantage, we all know that.

Your point is well made. It seems to baffle people sometimes, although it's so elementary that it seems almost insulting to spell it out. It's odd to hear MBA called a big school...all male though it is, there are about 100 boys per class. Consider that MBA plays freshman football (and almost never has a freshman play varsity football, although they do dress one or two different ones each week), and you only have about 300 from which to build a team. I know it's bigger than Ensworth, no idea how it compares to MUS. BA's website indicates that their enrollment is 780 in 7 grades. Assuming equal distribution in grade and gender, BA would have about 56 boys per class, probably more on the lines of Ensworth.

I know, spomebody will say they recruit....pick the rejoinder of your choice below:

A: (The cute, slightly snarky option) They've lost a lot of finals in the last few years. Given the cost of all those scholarships, there should have been a lot of turnover in the Recruiting Director's office. I find a lot of merit in this, since when i call out there and ask to speak to him, everybody acts like they have no idea who I'm talking about.

B: (The curt one) Losing teams have said that for a lot of years. The only thing anybody has ever proven is that they sent letters about spring practice a handful of young men who had already sent deposits and committe to the school. Apparently a violation, but ambiguous enough that more than one judge agreed with BA's argument. If you've got evidence, call Ronnie Carter. I suspect he'll be delighted to hear anything you have to offer. (Even if you have no evidence, call him anyway. Send him pizzas. Subscribe to magazines in his name)

Your point is well made. It seems to baffle people sometimes, although it's so elementary that it seems almost insulting to spell it out. It's odd to hear MBA called a big school...all male though it is, there are about 100 boys per class. Consider that MBA plays freshman football (and almost never has a freshman play varsity football, although they do dress one or two different ones each week), and you only have about 300 from which to build a team. I know it's bigger than Ensworth, no idea how it compares to MUS. BA's website indicates that their enrollment is 780 in 7 grades. Assuming equal distribution in grade and gender, BA would have about 56 boys per class, probably more on the lines of Ensworth.

I know, spomebody will say they recruit....pick the rejoinder of your choice below:

A: (The cute, slightly snarky option) They've lost a lot of finals in the last few years. Given the cost of all those scholarships, there should have been a lot of turnover in the Recruiting Director's office. I find a lot of merit in this, since when i call out there and ask to speak to him, everybody acts like they have no idea who I'm talking about.

B: (The curt one) Losing teams have said that for a lot of years. The only thing anybody has ever proven is that they sent letters about spring practice a handful of young men who had already sent deposits and committe to the school. Apparently a violation, but ambiguous enough that more than one judge agreed with BA's argument. If you've got evidence, call Ronnie Carter. I suspect he'll be delighted to hear anything you have to offer. (Even if you have no evidence, call him anyway. Send him pizzas. Subscribe to magazines in his name)

Why do we keep talking about BA and Ensworth (Ricky) recruiting and nobody is willing to step up to the plate and report them if this is really going on.

Why do we keep talking about BA and Ensworth (Ricky) recruiting and nobody is willing to step up to the plate and report them if this is really going on.

I keep responding to it because I believe if you leave the accusation unanswered, the interpretation is that it has merit. If any of the teams is recruiting, I'd love to see the matter addressed. I simply don't think it is. If for no reason other than the unpredictability of adolescence. Would you recruit 7th and 8th graders, so you would have them for 9th grade, when their eligibility clock starts? What if the 12 or 13 yr old you pick doesn't grow at the rate you hoped? You could wait and see how a kid plays as a 9th grader, but even that can be risky. From my very good 9th grade team at MBA in '75, about a third of the team made contributions to the distinctly mediocre varsity as seniors. Plus they lose a year of eligibility, meaning you have them at most for two years.

I suppose the real test to me is that BA has been accused of recruting since the mid '70's. You would think that at some point they would have approached a kid whose parents had a sense of fair play, and would have reported it. As RollRedRoll pointed out alternatively, st some point, one of the recruits would have felt slighted some way or another, and gone to the authorities. In other words, it's hard to imagine nobody at all saying anything for all these years: that's an incredibly well run covert operation, and some excellent management to keep all the co-conspirators happy for all these years.