Div II Favorite

GOAT2000

A 12 team playoff with 6 from each side and #1's and #2's getting first round byes.

Everyone makes the playoffs? That will make the regular season real exciting. Not. Well at least everyone can say we made the playoffs, and feel good about where the program is headed. That is why you play the regular season isn't it?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone makes the playoffs? That will make the regular season real exciting. Not. Well at least everyone can say we made the playoffs, and feel good about where the program is headed. That is why you play the regular season isn't it?

No, there's 20-something teams in DII-A now. This is A we're talking about, not AA. 12 is still a lot, though.

No, there's 20-something teams in DII-A now. This is A we're talking about, not AA. 12 is still a lot, though.

There are exactly 20 in DII-A, don't forget where most of the money goes. DII -AA wanted a larger playoff setup and the TSSAA thought Cha-Ching! Lets do it for DII-A as well because we have to fair, right.

As for the Favorites in the M/E is has to be DA and Knox-Webb. After that it gets interesting as they do not all play each other. 4 spots left for 7 teams. The non-region schedules will make or break some teams chances for the play-offs.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this will be my first post on the Division 2 board.

When looking at some of the favorites for the D2-A title this season, I would have to think that Davidson Acadamy would be an odds on favorite in the middle/east section. That rising junior tailback they have (Justin Williams) is simply out of this world. He is a hoss!!!

Out in the west, it is a whole new ballgame with the additions of Jackson Christian School, USJ, and Fayette Acadamy. Both JCS and USJ return their starting qb's (Cody Jones for JCS & Jake Overby for USJ). Last year they both threw for way over 2000 yards each during the regular season against D1AA teams. Overby was at 2000 yards himself after week 7! Cody Jones, from JCS also threw for over 2000 yards last season. He is also a good runner and was a finalist for Mr. Football as a kicker during his sophmore season.

I would like to hear more about the new play-off format in D2-A. It's my understanding that 12 teams will qualify with the 1 & 2 seeds in each bracket getting a first round bye.

I just looked on the TSSAA calander and it shows the D2 championship games being played on THURSDAY, Dec 3. This would give the championship teams an off week during the week of Thanksgiving. If a team playing in the championship game also had a first round playoff bye, they would only play two games during the entire month of November. I simply do not understand why the TSSAA does not have the D2 title games on the Friday or Saturday AFTER Thanksgiving. MTSU is playing in Lousiana the weekend of Thanksgiving. Thus, use of the facility would not be an issue as it was last season. It simply boggles the mind!

• 2 weeks later...

KWoodroof was being facetious about the times of the games, given the TSSAA has already attempted to trivialize DII by putting the games on Tuesday. It's ironically sad this occurs, given that some of the larger DII schools have been the most prominent representatives of the state of Tennessee on a regional and national level for endeavors not only in football but also in academics.

You will not get much argument from the usuals on these DII threads about the DII game deciding the best team in the state over all classes, given DII-AA's utter dominance of DI over a dozen years, although most of us are politically correct enough to acknowledge that, without a playoff, such a designation is only speculation since it is not proven on the field.

And as for a debate, well, there will not be much of one on the DII threads, as DI supporters avoid them like the plague, seemingly in an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of way, as in, "if we don't acknowledge DII's existence, then we don't have to concede to the on-the-field accomplishments of DII over DI.

Division II games are obviously considered "trivial" by the TSSAA and perhaps with good reason. Just look at the interest Division II generates on this board for example. Most of the topics here have only two or three responses, with the exception of this one which has all of 100 replies. Perhaps you need to consider why no one seems to care about Division II football. Divison II seems like a private Junior, Junior College division. Please explain the "on-the-field accomplishments" of DII over DI? Didn't a public school beat Brentwood Academy last year or am I mistaken? If so, would that small miracle have proven something on the field or would that just be speculation?

Division II games are obviously considered "trivial" by the TSSAA and perhaps with good reason. Just look at the interest Division II generates on this board for example. Most of the topics here have only two or three responses, with the exception of this one which has all of 100 replies. Perhaps you need to consider why no one seems to care about Division II football. Divison II seems like a private Junior, Junior College division. Please explain the "on-the-field accomplishments" of DII over DI? Didn't a public school beat Brentwood Academy last year or am I mistaken? If so, would that small miracle have proven something on the field or would that just be speculation?

On the field accomplishments? Nothing really, other than the largest DII division owning roughly a 70-75 percent winning percentage against DI schools schools since the split in 1997.

Brilliant response on the message board analogy. Amazing how the DII detractors expect the large privates, with now roughly only a dozen teams, to have a 5-game playoff road like the DI schools but now are also expected - with the same dozen or so teams - to have the same volume of message board activity as each of the DI classes.

Most of us are working and helping with homework so do not have the time to sit on the message boards all day /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

To be considered trivial by the TSSAA would be a compliment to many. The rest of your post is kinda stupid. Div II will gladly concede DIV I winning the message board number of replies contest. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

And if history repeats itself, another Tennessee public school will beat BA in 2022, but not until. Do come and see us again when that happens.

(Source: High School Football Database, www.hsfdatabase.com)

On the field accomplishments? Nothing really, other than the largest DII division owning roughly a 70-75 percent winning percentage against DI schools schools since the split in 1997.

Brilliant response on the message board analogy. Amazing how the DII detractors expect the large privates, with now roughly only a dozen teams, to have a 5-game playoff road like the DI schools but now are also expected - with the same dozen or so teams - to have the same volume of message board activity as each of the DI classes.

My "brilliant analogy" possibly also translates to dollars, which is why you will continue to have your finals on a weeknight instead of prime time. Come back and play with DI if you don't like it. However, then the playing field might be a bit more level, (if you followed the rules, of course) and you couldn't brag about a 70-75 percent win percentage. Just a little debate from a Division I supporter.