Div II Favorite

GOAT2000

So GOAT, how would you evaluate Bower's coaching? If you look back at just about any successful school whether here or around the country, the teams with the good coaches usually pay well. BA paid Potter well, to leave McCallie, I bet you that. You have a few schools that keep the money amongst a few and their programs are average at best. High School Sports are getting to the level of small colleges in the late 80's, would you guys agree?

I talking about with the coaches pay, the facilities and exposure.

Anyone with two eyes and any knowledge of football can see that he has been successful. He also has been able to go out and get the best athletes into Ensworth. I totally agree with the small college comparison, but you have to include recruiting! Would you agree?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So in your opinion is this the best assembled staff in the division? I think the staff at BA, Ryan, and MBA are pretty good also. He has a new program and a "deep pocket book" some would say.

I'm not sure I'd say the Ensworth staff is better than any of those (or the staff at MUS, they have an undefeated record and temporary possession of a large trophy that belongs on West End), but it is as good. The level of coaching in Div II is very good. And while there is a lot of money at Ensworth, it doesn't buy depth (see the MBA team two years ago) and it doesn't prevent injuries.

Anyone with two eyes and any knowledge of football can see that he has been successful. He also has been able to go out and get the best athletes into Ensworth. I totally agree with the small college comparison, but you have to include recruiting! Would you agree?

Is it recruiting if a parent at one school suggest to a parent at another school to bring their kid over? Some schools may recruit but I don't think it happens as much as everyone thinks. I was involved with the Public School System for a while before retiring two years ago and it (recruiting) also happens in the Public School Section. How many kids/athletes at Hillsboro live in the Antioch Area? How many kids at Smyrna High are suppose to go to LaVergne or Blackman? What about Mt. Juliet and Wilson Central? As far as facilities go everyone is trying to stay ahead of the game, Public Schools now have indoor facilities and Private Schools are playing on field turf and working out in huge weight rooms. Strength Coaches are the norm in High School now, not just a teacher, teaching weight lifting.

Is it recruiting if a parent at one school suggest to a parent at another school to bring their kid over? Some schools may recruit but I don't think it happens as much as everyone thinks. I was involved with the Public School System for a while before retiring two years ago and it (recruiting) also happens in the Public School Section. How many kids/athletes at Hillsboro live in the Antioch Area? How many kids at Smyrna High are suppose to go to LaVergne or Blackman? What about Mt. Juliet and Wilson Central? As far as facilities go everyone is trying to stay ahead of the game, Public Schools now have indoor facilities and Private Schools are playing on field turf and working out in huge weight rooms. Strength Coaches are the norm in High School now, not just a teacher, teaching weight lifting.

Very well reasoned post.

I'm not sure I'm a great fan of the "Arms Race" in high school sports. The massive coaching staffs and the revolution in facilities have moved high school sports (especially football) from the realm of extracurricular activities to more a preprofessional activity. Lots of progress, but not necessarily improvement.

When you say Antioch area give credit where credit is due: UNA BEARS! DA BEARS!

Very well reasoned post.

I'm not sure I'm a great fan of the "Arms Race" in high school sports. The massive coaching staffs and the revolution in facilities have moved high school sports (especially football) from the realm of extracurricular activities to more a preprofessional activity. Lots of progress, but not necessarily improvement.

I fully understand what you are saying & even agree with you about high school football becoming an arms race. The only problem is that if you don't keep up you are going to be left at the train station watching everyone else move forward at a very rapid pace. It's like the old saying that if you don't grow you will rot on the vine. Both BGA and Father Ryan have found out that once a team is behind on weightrooms/strength coaches, football stadiums, coaching staffs, etc... it is very difficult to ever catch up with the other schools. Once a football program is down for a few seasons the players that should attend that school begin to look at other schools that have a better football program. Good players want to play with other good players just like successful business people want to do business with other successful people.

I fully understand what you are saying & even agree with you about high school football becoming an arms race. The only problem is that if you don't keep up you are going to be left at the train station watching everyone else move forward at a very rapid pace. It's like the old saying that if you don't grow you will rot on the vine. Both BGA and Father Ryan have found out that once a team is behind on weightrooms/strength coaches, football stadiums, coaching staffs, etc... it is very difficult to ever catch up with the other schools. Once a football program is down for a few seasons the players that should attend that school begin to look at other schools that have a better football program. Good players want to play with other good players just like successful business people want to do business with other successful people.

Very well put to a point. I think that BGA and Ryan both have very good coaching staff's and hard working players. I think those to schools do not get caught up in the recruiting game like some of the others. These two schools have rested on the morals that they will play with what is enrolled and accepted. Also both teams had quality wins this year with players that none of the "big schools" went after.

Very well put to a point. I think that BGA and Ryan both have very good coaching staff's and hard working players. I think those to schools do not get caught up in the recruiting game like some of the others. These two schools have rested on the morals that they will play with what is enrolled and accepted. Also both teams had quality wins this year with players that none of the "big schools" went after.

Morals? Not to start anything but are you saying the other schools don't have morals. Or those BGA and Ryan have more?

When you say Antioch area give credit where credit is due: UNA BEARS! DA BEARS!

Not every kid that is a good athlete in that area played at UNA. If you want to take credit, you should also take blame for all of the kids that played at UNA who didn't succeed. The ones who couldn't make the grade to get into a college or stay eligible in High School. It flows both ways, right?