Officiating

nebuntyn

How do they pick officials to officiate state tournament games? The older official that looks like he is in pretty good shape asked a Liberty player, during Bolivar vs. Liberty earlier this year for a doctors note, and said if he didn't have one that he could not wear knee brace. What the? Is this in the rules? He also called 5 seconds on an inbound play raised his hand and signaled this....... and then gave Bolivar a timeout......when questioned he stated and I quote "I knew that he (coach Rudesil) was going to call a timeout". And he made some terrible calls at the boys state tournament also. I also notice they call travel, when there is no travel violation, is the game that much slower in Middle and East TN?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How do they pick officials to officiate state tournament games? The older official that looks like he is in pretty good shape asked a Liberty player, during Bolivar vs. Liberty earlier this year for a doctors note, and said if he didn't have one that he could not wear knee brace. What the? Is this in the rules? He also called 5 seconds on an inbound play raised his hand and signaled this....... and then gave Bolivar a timeout......when questioned he stated and I quote "I knew that he (coach Rudesil) was going to call a timeout". And he made some terrible calls at the boys state tournament also. I also notice they call travel, when there is no travel violation, is the game that much slower in Middle and East TN?

That is a rule although it is seldom applied.

There were a lot of changes that were made to the accessories that players wear the past few years. Yes they are supposed to have a Dr.'s not to wear any sort of knee brace, knee strap, elbow strap, etc. Also, a player has to wear a head ban appropriately not Chism style, and players are not allowed to wear wrist bands by their hands. This was terrible bc we had a post player that sweated intensely and wore them to keep his hands dry. Some officials would make him take them off. The TSSAA even tried to in-force that girls couldn't wear those rubber-band things around their head to keep their hair back. That one failed with flying colors.

With all of that said the TSSAA is trying to make players look presentable, but give me a freakin break.

Yes I think the officials when they get to the tournament they try and emphasize certain things, and they are under a big microscope so they usually make a lot of unnecessary calls. If u wanted to you could call a walk nearly every possession in basketball these days.

Incredible number of walks and carries. I believe some of these officials just aren't ready for the "speed" of some of the teams playing.

Also, it seemed to me like ... charges outnumbered blocks by at least 3 to 1.

And I thought the refs were overzealous on not allowing subs in in certain situations. If your "stud" runs over someone and you (coach) are waiting to see "charge" or "block" and it turns out charge and it is his 4th foul in 3rd quarter and you don't have your sub already sitting on the X he doesn't get in. You can't anticipate the play and already have somebody at the scorer's table. I think they should have relaxed on this a little.

And this is just me, but when a ref calls an equipment violation for not having your jersey tucked in and makes a big deal out of sending the player to the bench--without giving a warning and giving the kid a chance to tuck his jersey in--imho, that ref is "Valentineing"--just wanting to be seen.

And I thought the refs were overzealous on not allowing subs in in certain situations. If your "stud" runs over someone and you (coach) are waiting to see "charge" or "block" and it turns out charge and it is his 4th foul in 3rd quarter and you don't have your sub already sitting on the X he doesn't get in. You can't anticipate the play and already have somebody at the scorer's table. I think they should have relaxed on this a little.

You can send a sub to the table and if you don't want him to go in then you are allowed to take him away. They don't have to go into the game.

Another thing that I witnessed at the State Tourney was the amount of time it took the refs to make the block/charge call. The refs would look and think about the call and then make the call. I thought that was strange....Also I wonder why the state game is called extremely close where as in Memphis reaching, and barely making contact with the offensive player is not called.

I think we should ask some officials for a doctor's note after watching their work on the floor at times as well....

Was it that bad at the State Tournment? I wasn't able to go to any games over the week. I did watch the games on TV on Saturday and to me it wasn't that bad but i didn't get to see the rest of the games

As far as the block/charge delays, the refs are suppose to make eye contact if they have a double whistle. The play is usually leaving one ref's area into another ref's area and you get both of them blowing their whistle. If they delay the call, it is to make sure one ref does not have a block, the other have a charge, and to see which one is taking the call. Some refs like to make a quick call and if both do so, you could have both calls made, in which both calls are reported. If this happens, it looks alot worse than a minor delay in making the call.