Sub State Results

How do more that 2 teams qualify from substate???

Looks like there were NO 13U (and many other age groups) teams from the West. So they took EVERYONE that entered from South and North Middle. Are they going to take ALL 8 13U teams from the East substate? I hardly think so. (Where can I find East brackets for 13U or any other age for that matter?)

Does anyone wonder why AAU is in decline?

PS - Looks like there are 3 11U Lady Trotters teams and one went to Shelbyville for substate. Another was 2nd in the East.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like there were NO 13U (and many other age groups) teams from the West. So they took EVERYONE that entered from South and North Middle. Are they going to take ALL 8 13U teams from the East substate? I hardly think so. (Where can I find East brackets for 13U or any other age for that matter?)

Does anyone wonder why AAU is in decline?

PS - Looks like there are 3 11U Lady Trotters teams and one went to Shelbyville for substate. Another was 2nd in the East.

No..they are not taking all the teams from both the middle sub states. May have taken all the 13u teams but I know they took 3 10u teams from north middle, and they took 4 sub state teams from north middle for 11u, and only took 2 from the south middle 11u tournament...even though there were more teams in the south middle substate than there was in the north middle (does not seem right, but that is in the by-laws).

AAU is in decline because it costs too much money for one thing. And..if someone is going to spend that kind of money they want to have a fair shake at winning in these big substate and state tournaments at least, and as of late the big teams have dominated all these areas. Big teams that are getting shoe sponsorships and everything else is one major reason for the decline of AAU. There are 3 11u Lady Trotters teams and one qualified from East and one qualified from South Middle (assuming that they beat the home team..TN STARS). TROTTERS, Pride, A-Game etc is alot of the reason for this decline unfortunately because they are getting so big that the small teams and organizations are having a really hard time competing. This is a shame. The big teams have always been really hard to compete with as small organizations but usually they would only have one team per age group and now these teams are bringing 2 to 3 teams per age group, and trying to qualify all their teams for state and nationals, which does leave the small teams out in the cold much too often.

Trotters, A-Game, Memphis, and PRIDE are going to be the downfall of state AAU unfortunately from the looks of things, but got to give them credit they have established dominant organizations and until some of them stumble and alienate people (not to say this will happen, but for small teams this is definitely a hope) it will be really hard to compete with them for a state tournament. Good luck to everyone from the South middle substate, Represent us well!!

What's up with lack of participation in the west sub-state in so many age groups this year? Lack of clubs due to economics or what?

Interest in AAU in the West is really falling off. There are some clubs outside of Memphis that are forming, but overall it is Team Memphis Elite (TME), TN Glory who does not participate in TME events and vice-versa (TN Glory played in the North or South Middle substates), and Memphis Select who is has a hard time keeping good talent and coaches. It would be interesting in the next couple years to see what TME looks like because interest at the top maybe falling off with the daughters of the individuals who run the organization are reaching the end of their AAU careers. I look for TN Glory to regain some momenteum in the next few years because they seem committed to this for the long haul.

The other thing is more organization are focusing on Exposure Events (shoe companies) and not AAU. A lot of players are looking at this as being more beneficial as far as getting scholarships and not having to pay fees compared to playing AAU at an older age.

The economic issue is the other reason. People cannot afford to pay the fees, therefore the teams cannot play in as many tourneys, which lead to many clubs who use to host tournaments to make money to support teams are unable to do so. It's a trickling down affect and it is really affecting the West part of TN.

Plus everyone is getting tired of all th age rules changes and now the resignation of Peanut Cummins is another blow. Peanut was well liked and respected in the West.

werballers...what about the Memphis Bobcats? They were pretty decent last year. Are they no longer together? If not mistaken, I thought they had 11u, 12u, 13u and maybe 14u teams. I could be wrong about all the age groups, thats why I am asking.

Also, what about the west tn team(s) up around Martin, Gibson Co., and that area? I cant remember their team..Lady Wings??? Is that right? Are they not playing this year?

I agree with many about the economy...Its tough.

werballers...what about the Memphis Bobcats? They were pretty decent last year. Are they no longer together? If not mistaken, I thought they had 11u, 12u, 13u and maybe 14u teams. I could be wrong about all the age groups, thats why I am asking.

Also, what about the west tn team(s) up around Martin, Gibson Co., and that area? I cant remember their team..Lady Wings??? Is that right? Are they not playing this year?

I agree with many about the economy...Its tough.

The Memphis Lady Bobcats have focused more on the exposure age groups and since they are tied to Adidas, they focus more on the Exposure Events (shoe company events) and not AAU. They also lost a lot their younger girls to Team Memphis Elite.

TN Wings is a growing organization, but the talent is slim in that part of the West.

The Memphis Lady Bobcats have focused more on the exposure age groups and since they are tied to Adidas, they focus more on the Exposure Events (shoe company events) and not AAU. They also lost a lot their younger girls to Team Memphis Elite.

TN Wings is a growing organization, but the talent is slim in that part of the West.

Thanks for the info on the Lady Bobcats...I had forgotten that they were tied in with Adidas.

Tn Wings seem to have a good thing going.

Not necessarily... I believe the year before last, the 15U or 16U finished 4th in the nation up in Ohio I believe. That team is stacked with potential D1 players. Chassidy Fussell (Ms. Basketball candidate this past year), Amber Rechis (2000 points in her HS career and was only a Jr. this past year), Heather Butler (lead her HS team to 35-0 record and a state championship)... put those 3 in with several other GREAT players from some of the better teams in rural West TN and they are loaded. If heavyd reads on this thread he might be able to give you a little more info on how dominate that age group is.

Does anyone have updates on the sub-states from this past weekend? Does the south middle have a 14u division I or II and if so who is in it and when will it be played? Would love to watch some good games this weekend if anyone has schedules because some are missing from the TN AAU site. Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have updates on the sub-states from this past weekend? Does the south middle have a 14u division I or II and if so who is in it and when will it be played? Would love to watch some good games this weekend if anyone has schedules because some are missing from the TN AAU site. Thanks for the help.

All Sub-State results have been posted as of yesterday except for East. As soon as they are received they will be posted as well.

Keep checking back for State brackets. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

Tennessee Girls Basketball