Cannon County

Gridiron88

Congrats to Coach Dodgen getting the AD position. Good coach, good guy. He will do well as AD and CC will benefit because of this. Good luck to the Lions in all sports this season.

We, Smith County, have had the opportunity to have two coaches with ties to Cannon County. First, Coach Mayfield, well, uh, uh, well, uh ah, well, ouch, and Coach Dodgen, great guy.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Termite

We, Smith County, have had the opportunity to have two coaches with ties to Cannon County. First, Coach Mayfield, well, uh, uh, well, uh ah, well, ouch, and Coach Dodgen, great guy.

We lost out in that deal......We got Mayfield from Cannon Co......Cannon Co. got Dodgen from Smih Co..

twenty years apart..............be we should still be compensated.

I think after what saw at team camp down at Wilson Central, that Cannon County will be just fine. Cannon, Wilson Central, Watertown and Macon all participated in a two day camp. Cannon held there own in all 7 on 7 games against all 3 teams. So, with all the doubt or talk about depth I dont think that will be a problem, after talking to coach Shrenk he said Depth will not be a problem, we'll just be in twice as good shape as everyone we play.

I think after what saw at team camp down at Wilson Central, that Cannon County will be just fine. Cannon, Wilson Central, Watertown and Macon all participated in a two day camp. Cannon held there own in all 7 on 7 games against all 3 teams. So, with all the doubt or talk about depth I dont think that will be a problem, after talking to coach Shrenk he said Depth will not be a problem, we'll just be in twice as good shape as everyone we play.

Glad to hear Cannon was competitive. Bees where are all the players that quit because they didn't like Coach Bartsch? I know some of them have came back, but where are the rest? It's hard to compete with only 35-40 players because most are playing both ways. Hope Coach Schrenk can find a way to be entergetic and get people excited about the program and get more players before the season starts.

Bees I dont want to burst your bubble but dont put much stock in 7-on-7. The way most teams do it is to rotate a bunch of kids through and get an idea of what each can do plus 7-on-7 is a QBs dream, no pressure in their face. It is a good way to work technique, timing, and condition but does not show how you would fare against competition.

glad to see the Lions in camp.

Glad to hear Cannon was competitive. Bees where are all the players that quit because they didn't like Coach Bartsch? I know some of them have came back, but where are the rest? It's hard to compete with only 35-40 players because most are playing both ways. Hope Coach Schrenk can find a way to be entergetic and get people excited about the program and get more players before the season starts.

Wildcat, i talked with an assistant the other day, and he says anything will help. He has concerns on the o-line. Where they say only one starter from last year returns. And we touched on the numbers problem too. There are kids in that school that could play and help out a whole lot. But they wont ever come out because they have seen the records in the years past. Which i know has been better but no play-off appearance. Say the lions have a good year this year and some of the kids get to know coach Shrenk. Maybe the numbers will start to improve..

Wildcat, i talked with an assistant the other day, and he says anything will help. He has concerns on the o-line. Where they say only one starter from last year returns. And we touched on the numbers problem too. There are kids in that school that could play and help out a whole lot. But they wont ever come out because they have seen the records in the years past. Which i know has been better but no play-off appearance. Say the lions have a good year this year and some of the kids get to know coach Shrenk. Maybe the numbers will start to improve..

I agree except for the fact that Coach Barger had the numbers over 60 close to 70 when he left and there were still no playoff appearences, but there was vast improvement and a Bowl win. I firmly believe he was able to get so many players because of his personality. He hit the halls and was enthusiastic and was completely dedicated to turning the program around and he did. Look at Oakland before last year. They have an enrollment of over 1500 and they had less then 50 players and a 3-7 record. They hire Thomas McDaniel young,enthusiastic, and motivated and he gets the numbers over 100 and a state championship. I am not saying that Cannon Co. would win a state championship, but maybe coach Schrenk should try and model himself after those types of coaches in order to get more players and to also generate more of an interest in the program. He should make himself more known to the students and prospective players and get involved with the jr high program and if they see how dedicated he is to changing the program and if he has an absolute passion for Cannon Co. football then that will be something people want to be apart of.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree except for the fact that Coach Barger had the numbers over 60 close to 70 when he left and there were still no playoff appearences, but there was vast improvement and a Bowl win. I firmly believe he was able to get so many players because of his personality. He hit the halls and was enthusiastic and was completely dedicated to turning the program around and he did. Look at Oakland before last year. They have an enrollment of over 1500 and they had less then 50 players and a 3-7 record. They hire Thomas McDaniel young,enthusiastic, and motivated and he gets the numbers over 100 and a state championship. I am not saying that Cannon Co. would win a state championship, but maybe coach Schrenk should try and model himself after those types of coaches in order to get more players and to also generate more of an interest in the program. He should make himself more known to the students and prospective players and get involved with the jr high program and if they see how dedicated he is to changing the program and if he has an absolute passion for Cannon Co. football then that will be something people want to be apart of.

Yeah, thats true wildcat. But when Barger left and we had all these numbers. We were coming off our first winning season in a long time. Then Coach Bartsch came along and ran everyone off. And i would probably say that some of the kids were just fed up wiyh it. They think they gave it a shot. And it wasnt for them. SO they just dont want to even try again. Because lets face it. Kids dont want to be dedicated to anything no more. Its to much time consuming.