7AAA

coachof3

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Shelton made the call not to play the game on Saturday. That decision is why Riverdale has been named District Champions. If the roles were reversed and Coach Arman chose not to play, then Siegel would have been named Champions for the same reasons Riverdale was. Home field advantage is a big deal, but Coach Shelton was aware of this when he made his decision. Instead of complaining about what Riverdale does or does not deserve, maybe you should be asking your coach about his decision. Riverdale needs to make no apologies for the position they are in, they weren't the team with two losses in district play. Time to move on to Regional play.

Just to clarify, no need to question, I trust Coach Shelton will make the best decisions for his team. But I doubt this was solely his decision. And just for arguments sake, if we're basing everything on regular season play, why even have a district tournament?

There is a lot of talk about how it's not fair to hand the game to the deservedly-so higher-seeded Riverdale but let's not forget, Siegel was handed their first-round game with a win because the game could not be played. Granted it was against White Co. who has only one district win, but if people are going to cry about giving a team a chance, then there is no difference between giving Siegel, the higher-seeded team, the win. Same situation. It's not different just because you think Siegel had a good chance at beating Riverdale. Anything can happen on a given day. Honestly, I believe after Riverdale's first two games, Siegel would not have pulled it out. All about Siegel's momentum, how about Riverdale going undefeated in the regular season, getting doubted throughout the tournament and still came out and won 7-0 and 5-0. What about that momentum? Riverdale, as the higher seed, was rewarded with a game just as Siegel was. There is no use in complaining now just because it is your team being forced to give up the game. Plus, as a reminder, both coaches met and agreed not to play the game. Maybe Siegel fans should talk to the coach as well instead of blaming it on the system or another team and coach.

WOW!!! I didn't know I had sole decision making powers in the district. In that case....

My apologies Coach, I made my post after reading the posts by Shuster and Respect All, that seemed to indicate how the decision was made. If they and myself were incorrect, please accept my apology.

There are problems with the can of worms that has been opened by two coaches getting together and making this decision on their own. First of all, how is the game that was supposed to be held recorded with the State? If it is a situation where Siegel is making a forfeit to Riverdale to give Riverdale the championship, then are they still eligible to continue in post season play? The rule used to be with TSSAA that any team that forfeited also lost their chance to participate in post season play that season. The only way they could possibly by pass the rules is to simply call it a "no game" and in that case, neither team would receive any plaque for the district title or runner up. Did TSSAA approve the decision? If not, there could be reprecussions that could cost both teams the opportunity to advance.

After talking to Arman today, he thinks no one will get the District trophies. But this is not set in stone.

Siegel did not forfeit the game, the decision was either to play a full game or no game. Shelton chose (wisely I might add) not to play and to rest his team for the Regionals. I think Columbia will give them a run for their money, but Siegel will probably pull through.

After talking to Arman today, he thinks no one will get the District trophies. But this is not set in stone.

Siegel did not forfeit the game, the decision was either to play a full game or no game. Shelton chose (wisely I might add) not to play and to rest his team for the Regionals. I think Columbia will give them a run for their money, but Siegel will probably pull through.

So, it would just be a "no game" if that is the case and this avoids getting into a "forfeit" situation. Better for everyone and to send the plaques back to the State.

The TSSAA did give districts the option of putting teams through based on regular season standings. This did happen in other sports(see the link below), and ended up hurting teams that had won. In this case the two teams in question were the number one and number two teams. The principals of the two schools were also consulted before the final call was made. So it was not just these two who made the final decision. With Blackman already bowing out as host and stating that the game would not be played on their field, it reverted to Riverdale, as the higher seed, to host what was left of the tournament. I really don't know who else should have been consulted. You have the TSSAA guidelines covered, the principals consulted and the two head coaches. Anyone else you get too many chiefs.

As far as the White Co. game, it was all on the Sparta folks.

We've hashed this out from every angle. It can't be changed. Time to move on.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090511...ict+tournaments

I am going with Riverdale 5 Franklin Co 0

Siegel 2 Columbia 1

Finals Riverdale 3 Siegel 1

i agree riverdale should handle frankin Co pretty easy

but siegel will be motivated to get to the finals and get another chance at riverdale

which i think they will get

Riverdale 1 Siegel 3