What's the deal @ Sweetwater?

MalcomXL

With Spring practice just around the corner, Sweetwater still has NO football coach in place. This was once the program of east tennessee....Now it's the laughing stock! Can the administration not handle the process of hiring a coach, or is no one interested? Please someone with knowledge feel me in PLEASE? Who is our coach gonna be, or are we getting a dad from the stands to run it?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are getting close, kind of keeping quite about it. Without saying any names, Besides Moser they were looking at a Coach out of Knox. County that has HS and College experience. A Coach from the Nashville area, and one from out of State. Lots of people are getting worried, including me, but since the change was made, it is Important to get the best Coach possible even if it takes a little more time.

( I would like to wish Coach Staff the best whatever he decides to do. He is a good person and my children really think alot of him.) Whatever happens I hope several of the assistants continue to Coach, including one that didn't Coach last year.

As far as best Coaches from the past, I am glad to see Coach Green back, took his teams to five straight State tournaments in the early to mid 90's in Basketball.

Coach Dupes was a verygood Football coach won State Championship in 1993, and had several good seasons. You can't talk about Sweetwater football however without talking about Coach King Berrong. Stadium is named after him. Two State Championships, one runner-up. He had many good seasons, sent alot of players to College. Two undefeated teams, and six more teams with one loss.

After Berrong retired and before Dupes was hired, Sweetwater had four Coaches in 8 years. All had good records. 1975 Parsons went 8-2. 1976 Graves went 8-1. 1977-79 Green went 29-4. 1980-82 Henry went 27-5.

What alot of the younger players and adults don't realize was back when the playoffs began you could lose 1 game and not make the playoffs. For instance in 1976 Sweetwater went 8-1 didn't make the playoffs. 1979 they went 9-1 didn't make the playoffs. Now you have teams with 2 or 3 wins making the playoffs!

It should happen soon. Players keep working hard. And to all the students in the halls that should be playing football, get your butts back out there!

They are getting close, kind of keeping quite about it. Without saying any names, Besides Moser they were looking at a Coach out of Knox. County that has HS and College experience. A Coach from the Nashville area, and one from out of State. Lots of people are getting worried, including me, but since the change was made, it is Important to get the best Coach possible even if it takes a little more time.

( I would like to wish Coach Staff the best whatever he decides to do. He is a good person and my children really like him.) Whatever happens I hope several of the assistants continue to Coach, including one that didn't Coach last year.

As far as best Coaches from the past, I am glad to see Coach Green back, took his teams to five straight State tournaments in the early to mid 90's in Basketball.

Coach Dupes was a verygood Football coach won State Championship in 1993, and had several good seasons. You can't talk about Sweetwater football however without talking about Coach King Berrong. Stadium is named after him. Two State Championships, one runner-up. He had many good seasons, sent alot of players to College. Two undefeated teams, and six more teams with one loss.

After Berrong retired and before Dupes was hired, Sweetwater had four Coaches in 8 years. All had good records. 1975 Parsons went 8-2. 1976 Graves went 8-1. 1977-79 Green went 29-4. 1980-82 Henry went 27-5.

What alot of the younger players and adults don't realize was back when the playoffs began you could lose 1 game and not make the playoffs. For instance in 1976 Sweetwater went 8-1 didn't make the playoffs. 1979 they went 9-1 didn't make the playoffs. Now you have teams with 2 or 3 wins making the playoffs!

It should happen soon. Players keep working hard. And to all the students in the halls that should be playing football, get your butts back out there!

I think he was talking about Robert Greene not Danny Green. He was a very intense and demanding coach. They don't make them like that anymore!

• 3 weeks later...

Talked to a student today from SHS, and there is alot of talk, worried there is no direction, spring practice to his knowledge not yet scheduled. Who actually does the hiring for the Wildcats?

Sorry to butt in .....but why haven't the asst. coaches stepped up and held spring practice??....the school year is almost over and i'm sure they have been in the weightroom for workouts.......the season opener (hopefully) will be here before you know it