Ref/Admin meeting speach

CoachMikeLHS

And the major problem is that the players then act like the coaches. I was reffing a tournament and I was chatting with the players (U10 Girl's) before the game and I asked where they were from and how the tournament was going and I get an earful from 3 or 4 10 year old girl's about how the refs are making them lose all of their games. I should have seen what was going to happen next, but the coach got on me and road me for the entire game.

Unfortunately for him injury time stopped immediately after the opposing team scored the go ahead goal.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always tell My team that "if we play perfect the refs won't Matter, So don't expect the refs to be perfect." however I am surprised how the rules change based on where you play. For example we played at Oakland the other day and players Came on the field after a goal for a dog pile, a player took a knee to get a Sub, and there were no ball handlers required even though the ball would go across the track and take 25 seconds to be brought back into play. (Not to mention the megaphone equiped with Siren used to yell unmentionables at our players)These things didn't affect the game, but they would have never been allowed by our refs. As a coach we just want to play by the rules.

playing by the rules.............you know what makes soccer so great? It is that there are only about 10 "rules". The rest is up the the interpretation of the referee. A dog pile to celebrate a goal? No "rule" against it, however the referee could issue a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behavior. Adding extra time for retreiving the ball? Sounds like that would have been appropriate, but no rule that says he had to. Taking a knee to get a sub? Not sure the ref should have stopped play for that. He should have asked the player to crawl off the field if he was not seriously hurt. Sounds like you had a basketball referee instead of a soccer referee.

playing by the rules.............you know what makes soccer so great? It is that there are only about 10 "rules". The rest is up the the interpretation of the referee. A dog pile to celebrate a goal? No "rule" against it, however the referee could issue a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behavior. Adding extra time for retreiving the ball? Sounds like that would have been appropriate, but no rule that says he had to. Taking a knee to get a sub? Not sure the ref should have stopped play for that. He should have asked the player to crawl off the field if he was not seriously hurt. Sounds like you had a basketball referee instead of a soccer referee.

first off are we talking about high school of club? Because 1st off high school uses "rules" and club uses "laws".

2nd a dog pile in high school is the immediate disqualification of the players involved in the dog pile. Meaning they are straight yellow/red because they brought attention on themselves which is not needed in the NFHS eyes. Say are player takes off his shirt after a goal in high school, then he would be disqualified at that moment also. No matter if there was a first caution given earlier. For that game they are done. In CLUB, a caution would be probably appropriate to the player (s), common sense is used.

Second after a goal in high school, the clock stops anyways so there is no "adding extra time". In club, you wouldn't add time because that is considered to be part of the game unless you feel a team is using more time than needed (ie dog pile) but then you would have cautions/ sendoffs which would add time on at the end of the game.

Third for the injury, you as an official have no idea if the player is hurt or not and your best bet is to go ahead and sub then allow the other team to sub one, (if any player is already there ready to sub then they come in also) then the team that had the ball restarts with an indirect or normal resumption of play proceedures. Youre best bet is to figure out as a referee if in the game the flow would be disrupted by the immediate sub or not. Because in the long run if you don't then you will have a ticking time bomb.

And why would you ask a player to crawl off? You can tell the player to just go off (has your permission) then they must wait til the next dead ball to bring a player on (meaning play down till the next stoppage).

And they why would you say a basketball referee? I'm not a doctor so I don't know if a player is hurt or not?

first off are we talking about high school of club? Because 1st off high school uses "rules" and club uses "laws".

2nd a dog pile in high school is the immediate disqualification of the players involved in the dog pile. Meaning they are straight yellow/red because they brought attention on themselves which is not needed in the NFHS eyes. Say are player takes off his shirt after a goal in high school, then he would be disqualified at that moment also. No matter if there was a first caution given earlier. For that game they are done. In CLUB, a caution would be probably appropriate to the player (s), common sense is used.

Second after a goal in high school, the clock stops anyways so there is no "adding extra time". In club, you wouldn't add time because that is considered to be part of the game unless you feel a team is using more time than needed (ie dog pile) but then you would have cautions/ sendoffs which would add time on at the end of the game.

Third for the injury, you as an official have no idea if the player is hurt or not and your best bet is to go ahead and sub then allow the other team to sub one, (if any player is already there ready to sub then they come in also) then the team that had the ball restarts with an indirect or normal resumption of play proceedures. Youre best bet is to figure out as a referee if in the game the flow would be disrupted by the immediate sub or not. Because in the long run if you don't then you will have a ticking time bomb.

And why would you ask a player to crawl off? You can tell the player to just go off (has your permission) then they must wait til the next dead ball to bring a player on (meaning play down till the next stoppage).

And they why would you say a basketball referee? I'm not a doctor so I don't know if a player is hurt or not?

First off I'm talking about High School, and I want everyone to know that I am not trying to trash any refs. I am simply commenting on the inconsistancy from one area of refs to another. Because we play in several different areas we experience lots of different "interpretations" of the rules. However, I have read the Rule Book several times and I know for a fact that when the bench clears to come on the field for a dogpile it is against the rules, faking an injury to get a sub (the player was just tired, so the coach yelled "take a knee" and the ref stopped the game for the player to jog off the field) is against the rules, and the Rule Book states clearly that the home team is to supply ball handlers. All that being said, we all sould be thankful that there are so many men and women willing to take the time to ref, because if they didn't we couldn't play the game. On a side note, a great ref, good friend, and real supporter of soccer, Steve Essler, past away last week and he will be greatly missed.

Hey Coach, Congrats on your season!! My son played LHS soccer back in the beginning, things were rough then.So again congrates.

Now to address what happened. I am TSSAA baseball and football and I have a little saying I use during some of my pregames. Bear in mind this is the one for coaches I know well. Goes like this. You have, I have, You don't I won't. Then they look puzzled and I say You have coached, I have umpired, You don't act up, I won't eject. We all laugh and play the game.

I had something very intersting happen when I was being addressed by the ref with the other coach, and our team captains last night.

All the usual stuff went down, and then the ref proceeded with this ditty.

Coaches...you coach. Since that is what you do good.

Players.....you play. Since that is what you do good.

And I will ref, since that is what I THINK I DO GOOD.

Of course I know him, so I chuckled a bit. As did everyone.

Then he told us that he would be alone, with no AR's, and not to gripe about too much.

He said, sometimes he will make a call, and the players will throw a fit. Or the coaches will throw a fit.

It happens all the time. And basically what he says, goes. So give him a break.

He continued..

Sometimes, I will see a player standing in a certain place, or not moving to where he should, and I think to myself..What is he doing?? Is he crazy? What was the coach thinking putting him in there??!!??

But he will never yell at the coach during the game and question his tactics. He won't stop the game and tell the player how he should have made an overlapping run, or he should have dropped the ball, because there was an open player right behind him.

Since he wouldn't be doing that, he would appreciate if we didn't tell him how to do his job.

I just thought that it interesting. I have never heard anything like that before a game. I am a certified ref myself, and I think about telling players and coaches stuff all the time. But I don't

GO TIGERS!

I like that. Very creative. Hey, tell your boy to get a hold of me. We will be having our very first Alumni game at the end of the season. We have to wait for the tournaments to be done, first. I believe that the interest is high for this game. I think a lot of schools do it. We will be one of them from now on. Trying to start some TRADITION!

Thanks for the kind words.

Coach Mike

WHAT A TRIP!

I got called to ref at the Shootout in the West this past weekend. Sunday morning, as I get my assingments, who do I get the pleasure of working with?? The ref that his whole thread is about.

I tell you what....It was a joy to be an AR for this chap! I was with him all morning, and had a great experience.

I will tell you another thing that I realized. The reason that these ref's get tortured all the time is because of all these extra things that get thrown at them at the HS level. If you go by the LAWS OF THE GAME, things seem to run smooth. When you take them, and add TSSAA, and NFHS, in there......well, you know what happens. The book gets 4 times thicker.