Schools needing coaches,

PHargis

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chattanooga Central needs a coach also!!!!!!!!!!

Just to try and keep the speculation from running rampant....here are some details.

Coach Slaughter is leaving Siegel, her husband works in Williamson County and drives over an hour everyday. The company he works for wants him to live in the area and his job will be in that area long term and it is best for their family to move. They are very sad and loved being at Siegel. She announced it to her team last night, so it's official.

Based on what she told the team, she has no job over there yet, but is going back into teaching and if the possibility of coaching presents itself then she would consider it. (she took the last two or three yeas off from teaching to be home with the babies.)

Just to try and keep the speculation from running rampant....here are some details.

Coach Slaughter is leaving Siegel, her husband works in Williamson County and drives over an hour everyday. The company he works for wants him to live in the area and his job will be in that area long term and it is best for their family to move. They are very sad and loved being at Siegel. She announced it to her team last night, so it's official.

Based on what she told the team, she has no job over there yet, but is going back into teaching and if the possibility of coaching presents itself then she would consider it. (she took the last two or three yeas off from teaching to be home with the babies.)

There it is and official according to someone who should know. Team Slaughter has been a Siegel since it opened. The record speaks for itself as does the organization and promotion in the Boro. The Siegel Community is sad to see them leave although the chance, my understanding, has been there for almost 3 years. A Coach who only believes in a first class program, her detail to the small things that matter is obvious. A hard driver, her expectations have been high although she expected the same. She runs her own program. She has been the Senior Coach in the District for a number of years. This is a big void at a school which has been at the forefront of Volleyball in District 7AAA but has great expectations over the next years.

A lot of the current roster played Club this year as did most of the upcoming Siegel Middle 8th graders and 7th graders. One thing is for sure, she is one of the best teachers of volleyball in the state, pretty demanding on technique and her schedule is demanding with the kids AND she is a program builder if there ever was one. Someone in Williamson better not wait very long........... well maybe until they get moved in and get the kids situated. A Club Director??...........interesting thought but not one open.

The comment about replacement can only be answered by one person, the Principal of the School Mr. Nolan. He hand picked Coach Cathy and he will interview and pick this one I'm sure. Enquiries should be made at the school and Mr Nolan. Teaching positions have been posted on the Rutherford County Web Site.

As an addendem, This has been an active, high profile, Coaching position with an ongoing PROGRAM, a Major Tournament and while a new District, a very tough group of schools competing. It is District 8AAA. Blackman, LaVergne, Oakland, Riverdale, Smyrna and Siegel make up the District and the schedule has been the best VB Schools in Middle. It competes with, technically, some of the best Coaches in the state.

Thanks, clifford20 and PHargis for setting the record straight. I have had many conversations with both the Slaughter coaches over the years and will miss their presence on the sidelines. I have watched Siegel play in many matches, playdays, etc. and they always gave it their all thanks to the drive by the Slaughter coaches. Of course I've talked about the Slaughters and their team with PHargis many times over the years so that aspect of our conversations will now be gone. I wish the Slaughters much success in their futures and hope that the new coaches for Siegel have success in the upcoming fall season.

Thanks, clifford20 and PHargis for setting the record straight. I have had many conversations with both the Slaughter coaches over the years and will miss their presence on the sidelines. I have watched Siegel play in many matches, playdays, etc. and they always gave it their all thanks to the drive by the Slaughter coaches. Of course I've talked about the Slaughters and their team with PHargis many times over the years so that aspect of our conversations will now be gone. I wish the Slaughters much success in their futures and hope that the new coaches for Siegel have success in the upcoming fall season.

Certainly you likely won't miss them long as they are moving to Williamson where he will have a business and she may teach and explore the opportunities to coach. Small kids were an outgrowth of their stint at Siegel and as you might guess, they all try to play volleyball.

You may have to wait a little longer. As you might realize, Cathy Paulk Slaughter and her husband are Siegel Volleyball along with the parents of graduated players and parents of current and future players who are making an investment to play. Since these rumors are circulating, while may or may not be true, now is not the time to speculate. The validity can only be confirmed or denied by Coach Slaughter and the School and any other comments.

The School on Thompson Road in the Boro and its Principal has meant a lot to a lot to High School Sports in Tennessee as have other Schools and Principals in the Boro. Attracting very high caliber people to run their programs is a Hallmark of the schools. With the emphasis that has been placed on the Boro the past few years on every sport and the support all schools have given especially to events concerning all sports, great people have been spotted in every area, i.e., the replacement in Boys Basketball at Oakland, i.e., a high profile Football Coach at Blackman.

I know of no details of anything but what I do know, and it includes all High Schools in Rutherford, this District is extremely careful and looks to be very sensitive as to who are their High School Coaches. They are all leaders. Any rumor becomes news, true or not.

Apparently not a rumor, but the truth to those in the know. I have a question, will the players have to work the concession stand again this year? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone been hired for the Siegel Job yet? I have heard that they were trying to coax a former Lavergne coach out of retirement. Anyone else heard that?

Rumors will be that. One thing is for sure. If you remember, when Randy King left Oakland and they looked for a new basketball coach, the Principal took a great deal of time to find the best person to be the Coach. Volleyball in Rutherford and especially in the New District 8AAA has evolved in to a lot more than it was 6 years ago when Principal Nolan hired Coach Slaughter to be the coach. Her attributes of paying attention to detail caught his eye and was the reason for her success. The head coaches in every school are very strong and each year, the level of play and coaching has gotten better. This is so in most every District in MT. This summer, a noticeable difference has been seen clear down to the 12's as to numbers of players and their skill levels. Out of state teams coming to Tennessee have been complimentary of Middle School Age players play. It would not be surprising that with the skill level of Middle School being elevated, that JV play might have to be expanded with the number of players playing in MS and the skill levels.

Principal Nolan, I am sure, will take the time as the Principals at Oakland, Riverdale, Blackman, Smyrna and Lavergne have taken to get Coaches who can teach players who might like to play past high school and especially take those Middle Schoolers zoned for Siegel and enhance their play when they get to Siegel. It appears in 8AAA that play will be so strong that each match will have to be played like a Tournament match. At this point, high schools in every District in MT have gotten very strong and as Principal Nolan did 6 years ago, he will find the right person and when the time is right he will announce it. No one expected to be looking for a Head Volleyball Coach. The qualifications will have to be very high.

I have copied and pasted what I found on the Chattanoogan.com regarding volleyball coaching announcements.

Article posted May 27 about Central

Victor Rodriguez will take over the girls volleyball program, replacing Lana O'Banion. Rodriguez has been serving as an assistant with the boys soccer program at Central. He worked as an assistant volleyball coach when Lewis was the head coach several years ago.

"We had some coaches from outside express interest in the volleyball job, but we wanted to keep it in house,'' Cooper said. "We were really glad when Victor expressed an interest.''

Article Posted May 29 about Boyd-Buchanan and David Brainerd

Boyd-Buchanan has hired Amber Nolen as volleyball coach. Nolen succeeds Kristi Lenoir, who recently was hired as the volleyball coach at the new Hamilton Sports'>East Hamilton High School. Nolen played volleyball and then worked as a graduate assistant at Black Hills State University in Spearfish, S.D.

David Brainerd has hired Ashley Scott as its volleyball coach. Scott is a former Ringgold player who helped the Lady Tigers to top four state finishes three times. She then played at Tennessee Tech and has been coaching the North Georgia Volleyball Club Aces the last three years.

I have copied and pasted what what I found on the Chattanoogan.com regarding volleyball coaching announcements.

Article posted May 27 about Central

Victor Rodriguez will take over the girls volleyball program, replacing Lana O'Banion. Rodriguez has been serving as an assistant with the boys soccer program at Central. He worked as an assistant volleyball coach when Lewis was the head coach several years ago.

"We had some coaches from outside express interest in the volleyball job, but we wanted to keep it in house,'' Cooper said. "We were really glad when Victor expressed an interest.''

Article Posted May 29 about Boyd-Buchanan and David Brainerd

Boyd-Buchanan has hired Amber Nolen as volleyball coach. Nolen succeeds Kristi Lenoir, who recently was hired as the volleyball coach at the new Hamilton Sports'>East Hamilton High School. Nolen played volleyball and then worked as a graduate assistant at Black Hills State University in Spearfish, S.D.

David Brainerd has hired Ashley Scott as its volleyball coach. Scott is a former Ringgold player who helped the Lady Tigers to top four state finishes three times. She then played at Tennessee Tech and has been coaching the North Georgia Volleyball Club Aces the last three years.

DS4, this is a great article from the Chatanooga newspaper. It only solidifies the notion that there are some great VB coaches around that are surfacing because they have not been given a chance up until this point. Technically sound, enthusiastic, great citizens, great role models with great experience and willingness not only to be teachers of the game but qualify to be All State "teachers in the classroom" are certainly good enough qualifications for coaching Volleyball but excelling in life and it looks as if the schools in Chattanooga are finding those people. Leaders of young women are out there. They just need not to hang back, prepare themselves and go for those things that are of interest without fear of failure. DS4, your post concerning this subject did hit a nerve.

DS4, this is a great article from the Chatanooga newspaper. It only solidifies the notion that there are some great VB coaches around that are surfacing because they have not been given a chance up until this point. Technically sound, enthusiastic, great citizens, great role models with great experience and willingness not only to be teachers of the game but qualify to be All State "teachers in the classroom" are certainly good enough qualifications for coaching Volleyball but excelling in life and it looks as if the schools in Chattanooga are finding those people. Leaders of young women are out there. They just need not to hang back, prepare themselves and go for those things that are of interest without fear of failure. DS4, your post concerning this subject did hit a nerve.

Announcements

• Recent Posts

• Gleason all over west Carroll in scrimmage. Gleason is big and fast 
    • Defending 2A state Champs Westview Lady Chargers are pretty tough. They lost a bunch of production off last year's squad but returned some talent as well. They still McCall Simms, a Tennesseee Lady Vol softball commit as well as solid talent around the diamond. I dont think they are as good as last season but they will definitely be a tough out. Huntingdon Lady Mustangs seem to be pretty stout as well. Don't know much about Riverside other than Westview defeated them earlier in regions. West Tennessee softball is pretty solid all around id say.
    • Eagleville couldn’t catch up to Jones, he did have his location issues but in that game Eagleville popped up everything and the one hit they did have could have been ruled an error. Jeffcoat was a lot sharper in the beginning of the season last year than the end. ER ran out of pitching and still was in striking distance but none the less the better team one. Last seasons tournament was A LOT more balanced and talented. South Pitts starter is a Lefty who was low 80’s but couldn’t maintain his velo throughout the  outing, their #2 was more impressive last year, we knocked him around this year and his mph was down some. Their #3 isn’t bad neither, throws a lot of strikes and sits high 70’s.
    • He actually had a really solid spring.  I could see him getting some backup snaps on offense and be a regular on special teams.  Really athletic kid who can run.