District 8-AAA Tournament

sportsguy22

Congratulations to Coach White and the Wildcats on their victory over Franklin Co Wed nite 4-2. A good solid game, but stranded too many runners. Good luck against Coffee Co at 3:30pm at Columbia High School.

The Wildcats played very good last night. I was pleased with how much they had cut down on the mental mistakes and errors. Coach white and the staff did a great job of game management and the players did not look like the Tullahoma Baseball Team that gave away so many games this year. I to agree that there were way to many runners left on base. One other thing I noticed and I may be wrong; but the team coach white used last night really only had one Senior (Bryant) and they were playing hard. When I saw that he had moved Honea from SS to 2B I questioned myself why? But it worked out because more balls were hit to 2B than SS . Thats why the coaches coach and I'm a parent that wonders about why coaches do the things they do. Great move by Coach White. My last thought; with all the rain in the forecast what is the plan since Columbia has no lights?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the schedule! One thing I have never liked about the bracket in 8-AAA is how a team that wins the first game and then loses the second game is no better off than the team that just loses the first game.

Lets say Lincoln County wins over Lawrence Co and Coffee Co wins over Tullahoma.

Then Lincoln Co loses to Shelbyville and Coffee Co loses to Columbia

Now Lincoln Co plays Tullahoma and Coffee Co plays Lawrence Co

Coffee will be playing their 3rd game and using pitcher #3 against Lawrence Co who is playing game #2 and pitching #2....

7-AAA goes to 6 teams next year so I have been working with a friend trying to come up with a bracket that doesn't 'punish' a team for winning the first one and then losing the second one...

What do ya think of this bracket:

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/...t-bracket-3.pdf

Bouncing around several ideas but this one seems to be the best one so far...

I actually like this one the best:

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/...ent-bracket.pdf

and there is this one as well:

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/...t-bracket-2.pdf

Ya see what I mean?

Thanks for the schedule! One thing I have never liked about the bracket in 8-AAA is how a team that wins the first game and then loses the second game is no better off than the team that just loses the first game.

Lets say Lincoln County wins over Lawrence Co and Coffee Co wins over Tullahoma.

Then Lincoln Co loses to Shelbyville and Coffee Co loses to Columbia

Now Lincoln Co plays Tullahoma and Coffee Co plays Lawrence Co

Coffee will be playing their 3rd game and using pitcher #3 against Lawrence Co who is playing game #2 and pitching #2....

7-AAA goes to 6 teams next year so I have been working with a friend trying to come up with a bracket that doesn't 'punish' a team for winning the first one and then losing the second one...

What do ya think of this bracket:

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/...t-bracket-3.pdf

Bouncing around several ideas but this one seems to be the best one so far...

I actually like this one the best:

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/...ent-bracket.pdf

and there is this one as well:

http://www.riverdalewarriors.com/baseball/...t-bracket-2.pdf

Ya see what I mean?

I agree that the District 8-AAA bracket is not the best. In fact, it's used by other districts as well and the softball tournament is the same way I believe. I personally don't like it because of what you mentioned. A team could actually be better off by losing on Friday, than winning Friday and losing on Saturday. That's not right. Basically, you better win on Friday and Saturday (if you don't receive a bye) or you might as well lose on Friday and save your pitching.

As for the brackets, I like the first one the best...it rewards how teams finish during the regular season and makes it that much more meaningful when reaching the tournament. It seems the fairest.

The second bracket is what many NAIA conferences and regions use and it's the old NCAA regional tournament bracket when they had 6 teams before the format changed. I just don't like the loser of game 3 playing likely the #1 seed in what would be an elimination game for them, but I realize that is how all these brackets are set. If that could be adjusted, I'd like it much more.

The last bracket is okay, but I wouldn't like the #6 seed receiving a second round bye if they upset the #1 seed. That is why I like the first bracket the best by far. Interesting topic though.

Next year, District 8-AAA and District 7-AAA (both with 6 teams) should agree to follow the same format in my opinion. It would be the fairest thing to do heading into the region the following week.

I like your first tournament best with the higher seeds getting better spots weather or not they upset.

But the tournament can go till Friday and is scheduled to end Wednesday. Also if a game is canceled could they not play in the morning the next day? I think everything will work out fine.

Yes,

Field is tarped. But no lights. So time is very important.

Everything is cancelled in the District 8AAA tourney at Columbia for today. Games tomorrow are scheduled at 11am and 1:30pm, with Tullahoma and Coffee Co playing at 1:30pm. Tullahoma has their field tarped, just in case any games need to be played at Grider Stadium.

Everything is cancelled in the District 8AAA tourney at Columbia for today. Games tomorrow are scheduled at 11am and 1:30pm, with Tullahoma and Coffee Co playing at 1:30pm. Tullahoma has their field tarped, just in case any games need to be played at Grider Stadium.

I'm pretty sure Coffee Co. tossed in an idea to play at either tullahoma or coffee co. tomorrow since they had made it about halfway to columbia before turning around, but doesn't look like that will happen. No lights on Columbia's field could really hamper this thing, especially if rain continues in the forecast like it is scheduled for now. I'm not bashing Columbia for not having lights. hey I understand money is tight. but the tourney shouldnt' be there. Lights make things much more flexible, pushing games back further and what not. Hopefully everything will get in without any problems from here on out.

I'm pretty sure Coffee Co. tossed in an idea to play at either tullahoma or coffee co. tomorrow since they had made it about halfway to columbia before turning around, but doesn't look like that will happen. No lights on Columbia's field could really hamper this thing, especially if rain continues in the forecast like it is scheduled for now. I'm not bashing Columbia for not having lights. hey I understand money is tight. but the tourney shouldnt' be there. Lights make things much more flexible, pushing games back further and what not. Hopefully everything will get in without any problems from here on out.

I was told that according to the district by-laws, that to be able to host a district tourney, you have to have lights and a tarp. TSSAA requires that for schools hosting state tournement games and I'm fairly certain, it's a requirement for Region and Sectional or sub-state games.

I was told that according to the district by-laws, that to be able to host a district tourney, you have to have lights and a tarp. TSSAA requires that for schools hosting state tournement games and I'm fairly certain, it's a requirement for Region and Sectional or sub-state games.

No lights NO host, just be that simple.