NEW STATE COACHES POLLS RELEASED

FridayMainEvent

I think you are mistaken about fewer DII large schools.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but am fairly certain that ECS will be moving to DII small in baseball. I believe they already play there in football. I will see if I can find confirmation of this on TSSAA's website. So they are not making the switch from DII to DI, just classification of DII.

On an unrelated note, I also believe USJ is moving to DII small in the fall 09 school year, but this is another thing I am going to have to look into. Anyone else know if this is true or not?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not 100% sure on this, but am fairly certain that ECS will be moving to DII small in baseball. I believe they already play there in football. I will see if I can find confirmation of this on TSSAA's website. So they are not making the switch from DII to DI, just classification of DII.

On an unrelated note, I also believe USJ is moving to DII small in the fall 09 school year, but this is another thing I am going to have to look into. Anyone else know if this is true or not?

http://tssaa.org/d2regions.pdf

this could be just fb? I'll keep looking.

Interesting that Beech is excluded from that poll considering they beat both Blackman & Mt. Juliet in the regular season.

Beech split with MJ and tournament play is not a true indicator of how good a team is...

Secondly - the polls came out before Beech and MJ played

Oakland beat Beech 7-0... see my point

I think its a mixture of DII having a down year overall, along with a lack of schools to rank. There is a very limited number of DII large schools statewide to rank, and it is going to get even smaller next year.

check out the record of the DII teams - there are only a handful who have winning records - DII Large is way down this year as is all of HS baseball in TN

Beech split with MJ and tournament play is not a true indicator of how good a team is...

check out the record of the DII teams - there are only a handful who have winning records - DII Large is way down this year as is all of HS baseball in TN

I know what you mean about it "being down" but I actually think that the 2008 class in TN was very exceptional as a group. Considering the number of D-1 players along with those who were or would have been drafted very high last year was not normal for a state the population size like Tennessee. Not many years where players like Gray, Moore, Lintz etc all play in the same yr within a 40 mile radius. There were alot others I didnt mention who are playing D-1 (and I mean "playing") from within the state.

USJ is moving to DII small in fall of 09

I had the same reaction. Beech won the 9-AAA regular season, which should count for something a bit more.

true, but the polls were out before they even played a game ... kinda hard to factor in somehting that hasn't happened until after the fact some guy comes on here 6 days later and says new polls out - heck they were out april 23rd not april 29th which is when this post originated

USJ is moving to DII small in fall of 09

they'll win the state every year now... the only school in baseball any good is Davidson Academy

why would you leave the competition??

true, but the polls were out before they even played a game ... kinda hard to factor in somehting that hasn't happened until after the fact some guy comes on here 6 days later and says new polls out - heck they were out april 23rd not april 29th which is when this post originated

they'll win the state every year now... the only school in baseball any good is Davidson Academy

why would you leave the competition??

I agree USJ will (or should) win DII small state convincingly every year. I don't know what exactly the answer is but there needs to be some sort of realignment in DII. There are far too many small schools compared to the big schools.

I agree USJ will (or should) win DII small state convincingly every year. I don't know what exactly the answer is but there needs to be some sort of realignment in DII. There are far too many small schools compared to the big schools.

Few of the private schools can compete with the money of MBA, MUS, Baylor, BA, McCallie, etc. That is why most go to the smaller division.

Sure, I see your point about the timing of the polls. The win over Blackman was early in the season, though. Also, Beech's loss to Oakland was during tournament play. In fact 3 of the Buc's 5 losses came in tournament play. So, based on your theory about tournament play, those losses should not even be a factor. Beech had a single district loss, to Mt. Juliet...at Mt. Juliet. Going into the series with Mt. Juliet, neither team had a district loss and our regular season record was better. So, it is still hard for me....a parent/fan....to not question Mt. Juliet being ranked over BHS.

Regardless of the polls, the Bucs still have work to do. So, their focus is where it should be on the tournament games ahead and the road to State Tournament. Go Bucs!