Time to Revisit the 'Limbaugh Plan' again

davidlimbaugh

That time of year again. Time to try to push for the Limbaugh plan again.

Problem: High School Baseball post-season format in Tennessee - A team with one good #1 can get to the state if they get out of their district.

Solution: The Limbaugh Plan (year 10 or 11???)

Format:

Current District Tournament Format

The 1st and 2nd place teams in adjoining districts meet in a double-elimination tournament at the 1st place team of alternating districts (even and odd)

This is 2009 so 7AAA would be the host site. Region would be Lawrence Co, Coffee Co, Blackman and (Lebanon, Riverdale or Siegel) at the winner of 7AAA

The winner of the region goes to the state tournament. All 8 regions are represented.

In addition, start state tournament on Tuesday and end on Saturday so #1 can get at least 3 days rest - with current format #1's have been throwing on 2 days rest...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under the 'Limbaugh Plan', we would have

Monday

Lebanon vs Coffee County and Lawrence Co vs Blackman on Monday at Blackman

Tuesday

Losers and then winners

Wednesday

Winner vs Loser

Thursday Championship Game and if necessary game

Keep preaching, brother. You're the man as always. Maybe someone in the TSSAA will listen. Baseball and softball get shafted each year with this system. I'd say 95% of us completely agree with this. The other 5% are clueless and would probably argue something crazy like some regions are not very good and don't deserve a representative each year...thus the sectional is necessary. Bologna!! I hate the current format. Baseball (and softball) is meant to have double-elimination tournaments all the way out. Forget the sectionals. They are stupid anyway because it's a one and done deal. Again, baseball should never be one and done (except maybe if you finish last and next-to-last in your district and your relegated to a play-in game at that point...that's your own fault for having a bad season). Each district should find a way to play enough games in the regular season to award their champion an automatic region berth as well. Otherwise, the regular season can be rendered nearly meaningless with a double-elimination tournament. If you win it outright or sweep the team you tied with, you deserve an automatic spot in the region. Period. Good post as usual David.

David, one very minor change I would make (and I mean very minor) in your plan. I would make the Monday of the regionals be played at the higher seed (the district champion). That way, the district championship game(s) mean home field advantage in the first game of the region. After that, Tuesday thru Thursday could alternate each year to the #1 seed in one district or the other. Remember, this should be exactly the same for softball as well. If all that happened, I think I'd be the happiest spring sports fanatic out here, except of course for you David.

David, one very minor change I would make (and I mean very minor) in your plan. I would make the Monday of the regionals be played at the higher seed (the district champion). That way, the district championship game(s) mean home field advantage in the first game of the region. After that, Tuesday thru Thursday could alternate each year to the #1 seed in one district or the other. Remember, this should be exactly the same for softball as well. If all that happened, I think I'd be the happiest spring sports fanatic out here, except of course for you David.

I support this plan for another reason. I dont like the "single elimination" games like the first region game and the sub sectional. A team could be 30-0, lose one of those two games 1-0 or 10-9 and lose out to a team that's lost 10+ games. It isnt fair in my opinion. Limbaugh Plan would eliminate these "single elimination" games if I understand correctly.

I have thought of that - but problem is a) it might rain at one site and not the other and /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> one district champion may want to wait a day or two to get #1 some more rest and it might not have to rain that hard

I support this plan for another reason. I dont like the "single elimination" games like the first region game and the sub sectional. A team could be 30-0, lose one of those two games 1-0 or 10-9 and lose out to a team that's lost 10+ games. It isnt fair in my opinion. Limbaugh Plan would eliminate these "single elimination" games if I understand correctly.

I am proposing this not really for that reason, a lot of times the better 'team' doesn't win (See Minnesota Twins over Atlanta Braves or any wildcard Superbowl Winner)

I don't like a plan where a TEAM is not rewarded as much as a team with a great #1 pitcher - i.e. all ya have to do is finish 1st and 2nd in the district with a dominant #1 and he just wins on Monday and Friday and you are there. Baseball is the ONLY game where TEAM is defined by having to have more than one man on the bump.... basketball always has the same point guard, football the same quarterback, even in softball the same pitcher can pitch more than one game, but baseball......

I have thought of that - but problem is a) it might rain at one site and not the other and /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" /> one district champion may want to wait a day or two to get #1 some more rest and it might not have to rain that hard

I understand what you're saying. But playing the "if" scenario, what if everything was at one site and the first game was played, but the second game gets rained out. See what I mean. I just like the district champ getting that advantage in the first region game. Whatever the case, I'd say we'd all take either situation if the TSSAA would just listen to us.

This plan is fine and dandy until you consider that (except for a few rare cases) pretty much ALL smaller Single A teams are lucky to have JUST one very good pitcher.

So pretty much what you are saying is with this plan is the if you are a Public Single A school with, say 300-250 kids or lower, you should pretty much not even play baseball...

Correct me if I am wrong.