Pitching Decision

turnin two

Most HS teams have one or two good pitchers at this point in the season. If your team has three "Hosses", this question doesnt apply to you. Most teams threw their "ace" yesterday. Do you come back with your next best pitcher Wednesday and go with the Monday starter again Friday on 3 days rest? Or do you save your "2" for Friday and take your chances winning the Region on Wednesday with a 3? Either way, you're guaranteed a Friday game for a trip to the state.

Some high school pitchers can go on 3 days rest, especially if their pitch count was below 100 Monday. But alot seem to lose that something extra they have around the 4-5th inning of the Friday game. I remember last year some real outstanding pitchers lost their Friday games late after being dominant on Monday.

I tend to lean going the the 3 on Wednesday and save my 2 for the Friday game, even though I might be on the road. That way I would have my ace for relief if I need him for a short stint. What's your thought?

As soon as the districts are over, tell your #2 to be ready to become Goose Gossage during the regional/sectional week.

Start the 1 on Monday, the 3 on Wednesday, and the 1 on Friday. I'd have my #2 ready to go on Monday on a moment's notice if it got ugly, ready to go the 7th (maybe 6th and 7th depending on circumstances) if I'm winning late on Wednesday and need his help, then ready to go on a moment's notice on Friday.

Of course, I'd also be praying for rain and floods on Friday to get my #1 4 days rest too for the sectional game too. /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

I might not even throw my 3 on Wednesday, but that would be the most I'd throw. It's a controlled scrimmage for all practical purposes. A little BP and defensive work. You might also look at who you're going to be playing on Friday and looking at matchups. I'd certainly be checking scores between innings.