Running up the score.

redandblack63

Guest wchsgirl

Any team that runs up the score needs to learn about sportsmanship. Here are two examples...

White County girls' team played Middle TN Christian last year. In the second half MTCS went down to 10 players, so naturally we played down a player. You ask why would I do it? Because we were up 6-0, and what else could I possibly teach my players by keeping 11 players on the field. Oh, maybe I could have one player score 15 goals, so she could feel good about herself!! (Sarcasm if you didn't catch it!) We need to remember our players hear what we say, and they see what we do. Wouldn't it be better to teach them honor, respect, mercy, integrity, and sportsmanship? Hey, news flash!!! You can teach all of these while you win!!!

This year White County played Glencliff. After 3 minutes into the 2nd half (6-0 at that time) we started to work on ball control instead of scoring. I told the players not to score. Guess what the final score was against Glencliff? 6-0!!! My players did what I asked of them (go figure, players that listen to their coach). Any coach that can't control his players can't be much of a coach.

So, I go back to the title of the subject of this post, "What would a REAL coach do to a lesser team?"

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post wchsgirl. I totally agree with your coaching ethics. Do you need an assistant coach? Oh, I bet your assistant is your apprentice and he is just as honorable as you. Truly though, enuff said higher talented teams should have some respect for the other team at least giving them a chance to play them.

Roll on WCHS!!!!!!

Guest wchsgirl

Yes, I have a great assistant coach who believes the same as I do... I think his name is J.A. I do think restrictions are not show-boating, but esential to the continued improvement of all players. Players need to always improve on their skills.

Is your hair green?

It is not the winning team's responsibility to keep the ball out of the net, it is the defense's responsibility. Granted, the in-season bashings can be brutal. Keep in mind that these goal scorers are preparing for regionals and state. They need to prepare for making shots during real game situations, not just in practice. Why should the second string players avoid scoring? They also need the practice.

If payback is a BI@*# the next year, so be it. Make the game more competitive and everyone will have more fun.

As far as district competition is concerned, step on their throats and make your opponent fear you. The next time they play you, they will have the bad memories to draw from. Some can rise to the occasion, but most will fold over expecting another beating.

As I said in conclusion in the original post. When you run up the score on another team be ware of the pay-back. Bearden or any other team that runs up the score is class-less. This is high-school not professional sports and even the professional no better than to run up the score. To try to destroy another teams will to play is bad for the sport and does nothing to promote more competition.

I agree totally with Redrage. To try and crush the spirit of another team in order to win a "high school" game shows how far some people have gotten from the real purpose of high school sports. To win is ok. But to win at any cost is not ok. Some people take high school athletics to the extreme and put it up on a pedestal where it doesn't belong. Rarely does a great athlete do that. Usually it's only those who think they are great athlete or those who have duped others into believing they know best. And like you said redrage, pay-backs can be rough !

In my opinion these teams that are running up the scores should be scheduling tougher opponents. Your non-District schedule should be tough enough were this is not a problem. What good is it doing your team if this happens time and time again. It is doing no good at all. Now when it comes to district play it's each team for itself,this is the reason you have to score because of tie-breakers for tourney purposes(District). What if you lost the district regular season title by 1 goal and you could have scored more against a team that was totaly weaker How would the coach and especially the players feel when the season was over. That they new it should have been the other way, but because he didn't run up the score to make everyone feel better the team lost the regular season title. This is just a thought everyone needs to keep in mind. This is for district games only (not non district games).

Well South-Doyle can now join Bearden on the list of the class-less after their 14-0 victory over the hap-less Mountaineers of Heritage. As I said in an earlier post the payback is coming for the Bulldogs. The same can be said for the Lady Cherokees. Bearden got theirs last night in the form of a 4-1 lose at the hands of Farragut and there will be more to come. I wish it would have been 14-1 but Farragut has more class than to run up the score. If the rule for a tie breaker in the District is point difference then the powers that be may want to consider a change as this promotes this type of class-less act.

I would like to know for sure what the tie breakers are for conference championships. Last night we watched Tullahoma beat Shelbyville 4-1 and it could have been a whole lot worse. But, even though I'm not a big fan of Tullahoma, I must admit they did hold the score down by playing their younger players most of the 2nd half. So, apparently they aren't worried about the tie breaker system or they aren't worried that anybody will tie them. I don't want to take anything away from Shelbyville though. They played well for a young inexperienced team. They're a bit down this year. But, they will be a team to reckon with in a year or two.

people are so hypocritical when it comes to this subject for instance 5944 didn't the team that you so strongly support beat someone 9-0 this year? Now for all i know your girls JV team might have been in. Scores are misleading sometime even without running up the score teams can win be a huge margin. Most teams could pull their top three or four players and the scoring would stop. But some teams JV are better than some varsity teams. You can't tell those players not to play can you? As long as the players and the coach can handle a big win with class-in other words don't drive your players to play harder and not to let up while screaming from the sidelines when your team is up 7-0 then hey a big win is a big win. Just cause you win 9-0 doesn't mean you drove up the score does it. And don't tell me 17-0 is a big difference from 9-0 both could be humiliating. You got to let the players play and have fun win or lose. Call off the dogs but still let your bench players play to their best. Oh and 5944 looked back and read what i have written and i am not calling you specifically a hypocrite just making a general statement.e

You're not calling me hypocritical? You might as well have, because you brought up me and the 9-0 score in the same sentence. Why, I have no idea. I never condoned a 9-0 score. I am not the coach. I did not tell anyone to do anything. I never said Bearden should not have scored 17 points. All I said was that I hope it wasn't on purpose and that running the score up crushes the spirit of the players, which has no place in high school sports. "You" need to go back read what I wrote. Besides that, I can't find what you wrote before. It either isn't in this thread or your wrote it under a different name.

5944, not trying to beat you up or your team up but what the coach is saying is that you seem to talk out of both sides of your mouth. In the thread about the ref here at WC you smacked the ref for carding 6 of your players and insinuated "home cooking." Yet, you all can play Lincoln County to a 3 to 3 tie until there is 10 seconds left to go in the game and a ref from CC who has a son that plays for CC calls a PK against LC and gives you guys the win. The LC coach blew his cool and was carded at the end of the game. Yet, we do not hear a peep out of you nor do we expect to when you are the beneficiary of a call by the ref. You are critical on this post of running up the score, but when your team was at WC you all had a 6 to 0 lead with starters still on the field when the yellow cards were given out. There was only 1 minute left to go in the game and the coach could not wait to get those players back out on the field to ensure that they preserve the shut out. So, at least to me, it sounds like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.