Running up the score.

redandblack63

Bearden you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Running up the score on a team that obviously has far less talent is unexcusable. Don't tell me how you played your J.V. team. Your J.V. team would most likly ranked in the top 5 in the state. You guys have a talented team and a good program. But when your coach allows something like this happen it shows your program lacks sportsmanship and class. I hope the administration at least reprimands the coach for his poor sportsmanship. This type of behavior is bad for the growth of the game. This is not sour grapes because I don't have anything to do with the Heritage program. Beware of the payback Bulldogs it is coming soon! :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can remember when our team was first getting started. We lost several games like that and it was so humiliating to the players. They didn't want to go back out on the field. Those things cause deep, deep wounds that seem to last forever.

I hope this score was unintentional.

i totally agree with this post and it is about time this site had one like it. I coach for the White County soccer teams and I have seen many "bashings" during my time here and I feel that it shows nothing but a lack of respect for the other teams. White county suffered a defeat from Oakland a few years ago, 22-0?!?!? What kind of sportsmanship does that show? The coach remarked at the end of the game, "I told them not to score anymore." At what point did he tell them thst 10-0, 12-0, or 14-0? Gimme a break!!! As a coach I refuse to play teams that do this, including the ones that are in my district. This teaches your team nothing but humility and that is something that I do not wish to teach kids' at this level. It's not a fun side to be on and there is definitely a lack of respect for the other teams doing this and their athletic program!!! This is not the SEC and they are definitely not Steve Spurrier!!!! They schedule teams with less talent knowing that they are chalking one up in the W column, WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!?!?

I played for an above average team in high school. When we were going to play a team that we knew we'd probably or definitely beat handidly our coach would always tell us just to play hard and not to worry about scoring "too many goals" and embarrassing the other team. He thought it would be more humiliating for them if we intentionally kept ourselves from scoring. He would remind us of the first team our school ever had and how they played a certain private school that was, and still is a state power, that year (they shall remain nameless for this thread) and that team beat was beating us handidly early in the game and instead of scoring more goals they started show boating and playing around with the ball. They later were beaten by a few other teams by larger margins. The second year in the team's existence they met most of the teams again from the first season and had improved greatly. The one team they had a problem with was the "nameless" team. To make a long story short, lets just say "Payback is a Bi@@!" Next time any of you current players are beating the crap out of some team I'd suggest you play the whole 80 minutes like you were down 0-2. Teams that get show boated on and make it obvious tend to remember you next time. Its one thing to get beat 12-0 but I think most people would rather lose 12-0 rather than the same team beating them 6-0 and humuliating them in the process.

Neither running up the score (10 or more might be considered running it up but that's a personal decision each coach and team has to make) nor show boating is acceptable in high school athletics. An alternative that some classy coaches use is to place game related scoring restrictions on their players such as 1 or 2 touch passing or scoring chances can only come from heading the ball 12 yards out or further for example...