Running up the score.

redandblack63

I think running up the score is fine. In highschool you shouldnt worry about feelings. WCHS you are tellin me you have a girl that could score 15 goals in one game and u arent lettin her do that. thats unfair to her. you think colleges are goin to come look at her if she scores 1 goal against a team and then u take her out cause you all are winning. do you think college scouts are goin to come see beardon play cause they demolished a team or your team that beat them 4-0 cause u gave them restrictions. i play on one of these teams that gets demolished quite often. i'm glad for it. you arent doin them a favor by keeping the score down. you are probably hurting their feelings worse. they know when you put the JV in or give them restrictions. Dont think u are sparing their feelings. Think about ur girls gettin their stats up and makin all-state not teaching them honor. you teach honor in AYSO.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by Whitey:

5944, not trying to beat you up or your team up but what the coach is saying is that you seem to talk out of both sides of your mouth. In the thread about the ref here at WC you smacked the ref for carding 6 of your players and insinuated "home cooking." Yet, you all can play Lincoln County to a 3 to 3 tie until there is 10 seconds left to go in the game and a ref from CC who has a son that plays for CC calls a PK against LC and gives you guys the win. The LC coach blew his cool and was carded at the end of the game. Yet, we do not hear a peep out of you nor do we expect to when you are the beneficiary of a call by the ref. You are critical on this post of running up the score, but when your team was at WC you all had a 6 to 0 lead with starters still on the field when the yellow cards were given out. There was only 1 minute left to go in the game and the coach could not wait to get those players back out on the field to ensure that they preserve the shut out. So, at least to me, it sounds like you are talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Whitey,

You are not going to let the CC vs WC argument die, are you? And, no matter what side of the discussion I take, you are going to find fault in it. I'll say it again, my opinion is that the score should not be run up intentionally. I was not critical of Bearden. I just said I hoped it was not intentional and that running the score up crushes the spirit of the opposing team which has no place in HS sports, whether it's 6-0 or 17-0. I can't control what the other players do or what the coaches do. I can only control what my daughter does. She knows if she scores a goal after the team is up by what appears to be enough to win by, then she has done nothing but hurt someone else and that is not acceptable. Do large amounts of goals impress college scouts......not in the least bit.

As far as the LC game, you sure do know a lot about a game that you were not even present at. And the referee you're speaking of..........his son does not play for CC. He transferred to Tullahoma our biggest rival. Now, it seems his calls might be against CC instead........hmmmmm. You weren't there, so you have no idea how the game was called or how things went down. Should that referee be allowed to ref our games........No, No & No. Not only that, but our coached requested that ref to not be allowed to ref our games. But again, no one listened. Consequently, an issue has arisen.

Also, why do you sometimes sign your postings exactly like the ref who called the CC vs WC game?

To Whitey, I do not have a child in highschool, but I happen to be at that game where Coffee County won 9-0. And I did feel sorry for that other team, not because of the score, but becuase in their attempt to not run the score up, cc had mostly freshman and sophmores in (who, yes, are better than most) and they were passing the ball back and forth intentionally keeping it out of either goal. The other team was trying desperately to get the ball, they ran around chaising the ball and were extremely fustrated. I'm not so sure they wouldn't have felt less foolish if cc had just gone on and scored. There is a valid point on all sides of this.

This is for the poster who mentioned AYSO and honor. You are correct in that they support that but you are absolutely off base by thinking this does not apply in high school soccer. Please see the TSSAA mission statement in article 1 section 3 of their bylaws if you need to know what high school athletics should be all about. My guess is that you are or have been affiliated with a good club team where the mission is to win at all costs and that falls under the TSSA (one A) umbrella. Also, you are incorrect on what colleges look for. In fact, what a player does off the ball is more important than the stats that can be run up against inferior opponents. We can agree to disagree on whether or not holding the score down is the honorable thing to do. I do agree with you that done the wrong way, restrictions can be humiliating too.

chxian you think what you read in a book is how life is. and yes i do play with a very good club team but i play for a very bad highschool team. i know both sides of things. and i know the attitude is that same. highschool soccer is just as serious as club soccer. whats the difference? skill level is from what i've seen. so u think section 3 niner or whatever applies. i know what really applies is the will to win. are you a college scout? just wondering cause you sound like you've been around the block a bit. you may be right about what college scouts look for. it seems to me from all the letters i've gotten it wasnt so much my skill it was from my GPA. but to get all-state dont you think you would have a better chance if you scored more goals.(if you were a forward that is) than if you didnt. not all coaches that vote get to see you play.

What is running up the score 4,5,6,7 or more goals. It dosen't matter as long as everyone involved plays hard and with dignity. If you were a coach how could you tell a player not to shoot the ball if they had a shot? yeah they can set their and pass the ball ,but like someone said the other team was just chasing it. That to me is more embarrising than someone scoring. That is also making a mockery out of the game. Remember our kids are suppose to be learning how to win and lose with class. If you get beat 10,11,12,or more and play hard you have nothing to be ashamed of. It sounds to me like the parents are the ones having the problem with the score. Look at how many of these posts are from so called adults and how many are hs players. It sounds to me as if it is sour grapes by the parents. Nobody should ever let up on the feild,because when that happens then it is more likely someone will get hurt a knee or ankle. So you kids out their play hard and when the games over and you did your best be happy and don't let the score dictate your feelings ,because one day you will be on top.

Soccer2k3...the only book of life I've ever read worth anything is the Bible (not a soccer book) and though you may disagree what I do for a living is irrelevant. Let's just say soccer is a big part of it. You are absolutely correct that the will to win should be applicable regardless of whether it's a college, club or high school match...there is nothing wrong with desiring excellence...the question is at what cost are you willing to be excellent Soccer2k3?...is a defensive shirt tug ok in your book on a breakaway to prevent the sure goal?...or do you have enough will and desire to make the proper recovery run to the near post to help your keeper take away some angle? GPA is a qualifier for colleges and I am pleased you see the importance of it. College coaches will put these in different order depending on their team needs but assuming you have a good enough GPA and there is a compelling reason for you to be considering a school, you can usually rank order by speed; technical ability; mental toughness/leadership; physical strength and tactical awareness. College coaches can't coach speed and mental toughness/leadership. They can to some extent improve your technical ability and physical strength. The tactical decisions you need to make on the field is typically where a college coach is different from your club and high school coaches. Anyway, I hope you enjoy playing..it really sounds like you have a passion to excel and are the type of player that will work hard to meet your goals. You have my respect because I know a lot of very good club players that choose not to play for their very bad high school teams which is a mistake they will realize later in life. Have a great season!

5944 don't need to hide behind another name and like i said I wasn't calling you a hypocrite sorry you took it that way just saying the game is there to be played and players should play to the best of their ability

Mr. 5944 and I use mr losely. I guess your idea of a soccer game is always 1-0 2-1 3-0 3-2 whats your problem can't kids play the game and coaches coach the game without parents putting in their two cents that someone is running up the score or anything else that don't meet your standards. NOBODY EVER SAID LIFE WAS FAIR. Just let them play and whatever happens happens, They will be judged latter by the power to be. You have no right judging the players or coaches in their intent or anything else. Your a parent like you said and can only control your daughter so don't worry about something you can't control. Most things work out in time someday these schools will get back at teams but until then let it go 5944 and redrage. another question for you why is it you never see a thread in football or basketball about runnning up the score. That is because smart parents know you can not tell a kid not to do their best. So if you want hap-hazard soccer we will play by your rules,but if you want real soccer we'll play by the rules in the rule book and it dosen't say anything about haw many goals you score.

SOME PEOPLE HAVE CLASS.......

SOME PEOPLE DON'T.......

You don't have to necessarily take out your best player just tell them to work on their ball control and other aspects of the game; quick restarts, goal kicks, corner kicks, triangles, etc. Don't destroy a teams' sense of pride!!! That's ridiculous!!! What do you have to show after you do that? WOW! A BIG WIN!! That tally in the W column would have come the same way with a nice 4 or 5-0 beating! Try being on the other end! :confused: ;)