Running up the score.

redandblack63

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by chxian:

Neither running up the score (10 or more might be considered running it up but that's a personal decision each coach and team has to make) nor show boating is acceptable in high school athletics. An alternative that some classy coaches use is to place game related scoring restrictions on their players such as 1 or 2 touch passing or scoring chances can only come from heading the ball 12 yards out or further for example...

As a coach I've now seen both ends of this spectrum. Teams learn nothing from being humiliated, and gain nothing(except artificially padded stats) from killing a team just beacuse they can. Personally, I will never let my team score double digits, and often won't let the score go past 6-0. Put in the JV's AND place restrictions on their play. It also helps that we've been on the down side of 12-0 before. We know how bad that feels. I tell my players, "You can't make others play with class. Just show that you do."

Hey Chixian I don't get the whole thing of playing within the t double s double a book thing? If you are playing something and you arent ready to win at any costs then why are you playing? Games should be war, you can be friends with players off the field but when you get between those lines they are supposed to be your sworn enemy. Don't give me anything about are you willing to do this or that? Im willing to do whatever I have to to win. If you are playing for moral reasons and a stupid rule book then you need to be in the park pickin sun flowers and drinking iced tea. And the whole thing about running the score up, you have to think to yourself hey would that team run the score up on me? Anyways my point is when you are playing high school sports its war. Anything you say about winning im only gonna respond with a quote from Vince Lombardi and thats "Winning isnt everything............But its the only thing."

No nose: Most teams play hard and with class. Running up the score has nothing to do with playing hard and being competitive. Also you need to check Coach Lombardis quote I believe you have misquoted him. I believe he said somthing to the effect, winning isn't everything it is the best thing. I heard this on sports century. If you want a war go to Irag. But I don't know why I would tell you because classless people don't listen.

Posted by redrage:

No nose: Most teams play hard and with class. Running up the score has nothing to do with playing hard and being competitive. Also you need to check Coach Lombardis quote I believe you have misquoted him. I believe he said somthing to the effect, winning isn't everything it is the best thing. I heard this on sports century. If you want a war go to Irag. But I don't know why I would tell you because classless people don't listen.

Yeah Ill do that. Irag? Wheres Irag? I knows theres an Iraq, but Irag must be one of those smaller type countries. Yeah I heard it on sportscentury to and it was its the only thing. Why would it be the best thing? Thats self explanatory. Is it the worse thing? Of course its the better thing out of two choices which is winning and losing. And I could care less about running the score up on a team. If that team gets killed that bad then that will make them not wanna get rocked anymore. Its like getting the crap kicked out of you in a fight, you would have to say "hey, I better learn how to fight or Im gonna keep getting killed."

17-0 sounds to me like running up the score shs01 i'm not questioning you maybe the team was that bad and you team had to get ready for the playoffs maybe everybody got to play I don't know i wasn't there. But i did hear that ball boys were destracting the goalie. I'm not sure if it's true that is what some people at the game told me. I'm not sure if 119-0 in football is runnig up the score in football. Even if you were preparing for the playoffs. I'm not doubting your classiness but i just don't know

The starters scored 3 goals the reserves scored 14, I did not see anyone from the "ballboys" messing with the keepers since we have only 2 ball handlers and they always run on the side lines not the goal lines. I have never said that the team we played against was that bad, I just said that we were sorry it was 17-0 but to understand that you have to also know that some of their good players were out with a stomach virus, it was a choice that their coach made to set the priority higher for the playoffs than a game that meant nothing to either team, I commend him for that, he did not want the chance to hurt someone before the playoffs. Like i said earlier we are sorry it happened like that but again it happened so we can not change it now. their team had a lot of class and they were cheering after the game, their coach was not mad, from my understanding, and we are now talking about strategy for the playoffs. Our girls played hard as they are taught and walked of the field with their head high. You have to understand our soccer history also we used to get beat-up pretty bad from teams in our district and everyone else but at no time we want to embarass anyone at all.

That's all I am going to say about that.

Guest Benthere
Posted by SoccerFan2k3:

I think running up the score is fine. In highschool you shouldnt worry about feelings. WCHS you are tellin me you have a girl that could score 15 goals in one game and u arent lettin her do that. thats unfair to her. you think colleges are goin to come look at her if she scores 1 goal against a team and then u take her out cause you all are winning. do you think college scouts are goin to come see beardon play cause they demolished a team or your team that beat them 4-0 cause u gave them restrictions. i play on one of these teams that gets demolished quite often. i'm glad for it. you arent doin them a favor by keeping the score down. you are probably hurting their feelings worse. they know when you put the JV in or give them restrictions. Dont think u are sparing their feelings. Think about ur girls gettin their stats up and makin all-state not teaching them honor. you teach honor in AYSO.

Guest FHSkeeper2002

I've read about all the messages and me playing for a high level team and also being around soccer my whole life I understand that you would want to score as much as possible and look good but there is a stopping point. When you play on a younger team I understand you might score as much as possible, but thats the difference in young teams compared to high school and older travel teams. Most coaches will stop there team from scoring or atleast put a limit on how many they are aloud to score. I have been on a team where they say, after this many goals they will have more of a passing game to where they work on that part of their game compared to scoring when obviously there isnt much competition so it would be pointless to keep scoring. I believe that it is very unprofessional to take advantage of the situation and humiliate a team when there is no point to it. Running up the score is useless to building up skill. You should work on some other part of your game that will help you against a team that actually will give you more competition.