McMinn Central Coaching Vacancy

87Cat

I heard from one of the players today that Coach Derrick brought the team to a meeting this morning and announced that he would be resigning as of today and would be moving back down to georgia sometime in july. I am with canadian, I dont think Wilkerson wants the spot has head coach but i think Masengil will take it if he is offered it. But best of luck to the Derrick family. You was a heck of a coach and turned the program around.

X1000000 Hate to see Coach Derrick go, but he is going back to Georgia. He did a heck of a job turning the program back around!! Goodluck with the offensive coordinator job.. Who will be the next head coach???????????????????????????????? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X1000000 Hate to see Coach Derrick go, but he is going back to Georgia. He did a heck of a job turning the program back around!! Goodluck with the offensive coordinator job.. Who will be the next head coach???????????????????????????????? /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Offensive Coordinator?????? You mean it's not a head coaching position? and he's still getting that much more money?

Offensive Coordinator?????? You mean it's not a head coaching position? and he's still getting that much more money?

Correct!! He is also getting to coach with a legend on the same level as as Gary Rankin (Alcoa). It isa great move for his family and as young as he is, can be a way to a big job as head coach somewhere. It has really been a pleasure being around him the past three years and being a part of his program.

Where in Georgia is he going? Specifically what school?

Glynn Academy, Doesn't sound bad, On an island on the East Coast.

http://glynn.schooldesk.net/Default.aspx?a...esk.net/academy

Big raise in pay for him, A job for Becky, Great education for his two girls. Not that hard of a decision. But it is a long way from Nonaburg.

Good Luck Coach, Congratulations.

Glynn Academy, Doesn't sound bad, On an island on the East Coast.

http://glynn.schooldesk.net/Default.aspx?a...esk.net/academy

Big raise in pay for him, A job for Becky, Great education for his two girls. Not that hard of a decision. But it is a long way from Nonaburg.

Good Luck Coach, Congratulations.

Are you people for real? Everyone is making this sound like this is the golden plan. Is anyone really shocked? everyone knew early last year he was not staying. He came back to Cental put up with a lot of crap from about 10 players and won some games. If he had any discipline a big portion of his stars would have never saw the field.(the ones that didnt walk off). Cental was blessed with a multitude of athletes that about any coach could have won with, if they were willing to tolerate the bull. A lot of teams have went out and set themselves up with a very tough schedule, including Central, the question you have to ask, is why did Brandon when he knew he was leaving before he set the schedule. Good luck Coach and thanks for the memories.

Glynn Academy is a nice place in Brunswick, GA. They struggled after realignment last year, but made it to the playoffs anyway. BD can get some athletes there, but he is going to have to get after it hard to make them a competitive playoff team in AAAA Ga ball with the likes of Thomas Co Central in south Ga. That, and it has been quite a while since they have beat their rival Brunswick High. Good Luck to BD from a fellow Scottie Dog.

Glynn Academy is a nice place in Brunswick, GA. They struggled after realignment last year, but made it to the playoffs anyway. BD can get some athletes there, but he is going to have to get after it hard to make them a competitive playoff team in AAAA Ga ball with the likes of Thomas Co Central in south Ga. That, and it has been quite a while since they have beat their rival Brunswick High. Good Luck to BD from a fellow Scottie Dog.

Here is the article in the newspaper..

Friday, May 22, 2009

jack slayton Sports Editor

ETOWAH - After three years at the helm of the McMinn Central High School football program, Brandon Derrick has resigned to accept an assistant coaching position at Glynn Academy located on St. Simon Island in Brunswick, Ga.

"It's the toughest decision I've ever had to make - except maybe going for two points at Polk County," Derrick said, referring to the overtime victory in Benton during the 2007 season. "But all joking aside, it was a hard choice to make with an offer too good to turn down.

"They (Glynn Academy) guaranteed both me and my wife jobs- that was important since the job market here for her was uncertain," he added. "It's also a good educational opportunity for our girls (ages 8 and 11) and then there's living near the beach. Englewood's nice - its home - but this will be a different experience for us."

Derrick, a Central graduate who quarterbacked the 1993 team to a state runnerup finish then played four years at Maryville College, said there was also a good reason for giving up his first job as a head coach to become an assistant again.

"You never stop learning in this business," said Derrick. "This is an opportunity to work with a coach (Rob Ridings) who has won four or five state championships. I think it can only help make me a better coach."

Derrick posted a 21-11 record in his three years at Central, but after a 3-7 first season, the Chargers were 9-2 the next two years, earning their first winning seasons and region title (2007) since 1997.

"When I came here, I promised to leave the program better than I found it - I think we've done that much," said Derrick. "The program is still not where it needs to be in order to be competitive on a yearly basis, but I've think a solid foundation has been laid.

"I'm sure Mr. (Roger) Freeman (Central principal) and Coach (Doug) Armstrong (athletic director) will find someone fully capable of building on that success."

Derrick was an assistant coach in the Atlanta area before coming to Central.

"I want to thank Mr. Freeman and the McMinn County school administration for the chance they gave me to be a head coach," said Derrick. "The community got behind us. I appreciate the support everybody has shown for me. Hopefully, they feel like we've lived up to the promise that we could things around and get this program going in the right direction."

Central Athletic Director Doug Armstrong said the search for a new head coach would begin as soon as possible.

"We appreciate the job Brandon has done - his record speaks for itself," said Central Athletic Director Doug Armstrong. "We wish him and his family nothing but the best as their lives move in a different direction."

As for the hiring process, Armstrong said there were some immediate complications.

"Right now, we've got graduation right in front of us and the end of the school year to get past next week before we can turn our full attention to finding a new coach," said Armstrong. "As soon as it becomes possible, the opening will have to be posted in order to give anybody interested an opportunity to apply.

"With fall practice starting in July, we want to move as quickly as possible, but will take enough time to go through the process properly," he added. "We think we're going to have a pretty good team and want to make sure we have the right man in place."

I had a chance to talk to Brandon when I stopped by the field house a couple of weeks ago before the Marion Co baseball game. I hadn't talked to him since we played together at Central. He mentioned then that he was considering this job in GA. We started talking about the good old days and all of the memories we had on the field in both football and baseball. I could tell that this decision was weighing heavily on him and that Central was where he wanted to be. But he said that he ultimately had to do what was best for his family. He was frustrated at the lack of financial support that the program had received over the years. I think in order for Central to hire a good coach and keep him here, there needs to be an overwhelming support from the community and the local businesses. If you can't keep a local boy whose ties and heart are with the Chargers, who can you keep? Best of luck Brandon.