Preseason Top 10

Milan lost some key players from last year...thier starting QB for one. But, they are always loaded and ready to play. They have a defensive monster...a game changer...in Williams. Thier punishing tailback, Gilbert, is also back. Look for Milan to be playing Alcoa again in the Boro.

I dont know much about Alcoa...except that they win a lot of games every year...in terms of what they lost and what they have coming back. Anyone fill us in on this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YOU HAVE GOT IT MY FRIEND!!!!!!!

Here is how the playoff system works:

24 "locks" based on the teams that will finish in the top half of their classifications from within their own districts. Here are the districts and the amount of locks from each district:

District 1: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include Elizabethton, Happy Valley, Johnson Co., Sullivan North, Unicoi Co.)

District 2: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include Chuckey-Doak, Cumberland Gap, South Greene, West Greene)

District 3: 1 LOCK (teams fighting for the lock include Austin East & Gatlinburg Pittman)

District 4: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include Alcoa, CAK, Kingston, Loudon)

District 5: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include McMinn Central, Meigs Co., Polk Co., Sweetwater)

District 6: 1 LOCK (teams fighting for the lock include Hixson, Howard, Tyner Academy)

District 7: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include Bledsoe Co., Chattanooga Christian, Grundy Co., Sequatchie Co.)

District 8: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include Cannon Co., Smith Co., Upperman, York Institute)

District 9: 1 LOCK (teams fighting for the lock include Goodpasture & Westmoreland)

District 10: 1 LOCK (teams fighting for the lock include CPA, East Literature, Pearl Cohn)

District 11: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include Camden, Cheatham Co., Harpeth, Stewart Co., Waverly)

District 12: 2 LOCKS (teams fighting for locks include Fairview, East Hickman, Hickman Co., Lewis Co.)

District 13: 1 LOCK (teams fighting for the lock include Gibson Co., Milan, Westview)

District 14: 1 LOCK (team that gets the lock from this district is JCM)

District 15: 1 LOCK (teams fighting for the lock include Manassas & Memphis North Side)

District 16: 1 LOCK (teams fighting for the lock include Oakhaven, Booker T. Washington, George W. Carver)

After the 24 locks are determined at the end of the final Friday night of the regular season there will then be 8 additional teams out of the 29 remaining teams in Class 3A that make it into the playoffs as "wild cards".

This is where if you scheduled "weak" then you better take care of business because if you are on the same boat as a team that scheduled a bunch of strong foes and you both have a 5-5 record at the end of the regular season then...........it doesn't take a genius to realize who is going to be in the playoffs and who is going home. At the same time though if you are able to win those "weak" games then you are going to be in the postseason based on a sexy overall record compared to teams who played a much more challenging schedule and lost a game or two more.

When the TSSAA State Playoffs are set up they will be split into 4 seperate quadrents and the teams will then be seeded into each quadrent based on the following:

Quadrent 1 (Knoxville Area)

1.)

8.)

4.)

5.)

3.)

6.)

2.)

7.)

Quadrent 2 (Chattanooga Area)

1.)

8.)

4.)

5.)

3.)

6.)

2.)

7.)

Quadrent 3 (Nashville Area)

1.)

8.)

4.)

5.)

3.)

6.)

2.)

7.)

Quadrent 4 (Memphis Area)

1.)

8.)

4.)

5.)

3.)

6.)

2.)

7.)

Now this doesn't mean that the top seeds are going to be from each city that I labeled the quadrents as but in location the teams will wind up in somewhat relatively close located parts of the bracket to allow better travel for all schools and to allow more local rivalries once the playoffs begin. This is what we saw in the "old 2A' over the last couple of years once the playoffs began. The interesting thing is that teams will not have any clear notion as to which team they will play once the playoffs begin. This eliminates teams from being able to schedule games on Thursday nights late in the season just so they can go out on Friday nights and start scouting teams that they have a very good idea who they would be playing once the playoffs start. Just about every coaching staff in the state has done this to gain an edge under the "old system".

Might want to check that... according to the minutes, if there is only one team from a class in a district, then there are no automatic qualifiers for that class for that district. That means that JCM will have to finish 1st. or 2nd. over all in their district or qualify as a wildcard. So there will only be 23 for sure locks. Also in district 3, Pigeon Forge is not listed. I have read that they are going to play up into 4A, but the state website still has them as 3A. Likewise, in district 6, Hixson is listed but on the state website they are listed as playing up into 4A. Do you have any insite on where for sure those two schools are competing, 3A or 4A. Thanks.

Might want to check that... according to the minutes, if there is only one team from a class in a district, then there are no automatic qualifiers for that class for that district. That means that JCM will have to finish 1st. or 2nd. over all in their district or qualify as a wildcard. So there will only be 23 for sure locks. Also in district 3, Pigeon Forge is not listed. I have read that they are going to play up into 4A, but the state website still has them as 3A. Likewise, in district 6, Hixson is listed but on the state website they are listed as playing up into 4A. Do you have any insite on where for sure those two schools are competing, 3A or 4A. Thanks.

You are right! I guess JCM does have some work to do in order to get to the playoffs. They are the lone "one 3A team district" representative so there are 23 qualifiers.

As for the classes...........I have my info from the High School Football Database website. Pigeon Forge is listed as a 4A school. Hixson is listed as a 3A school.

This website is very reliable as far as classes and team information are concerned /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Milan lost some key players from last year...thier starting QB for one. But, they are always loaded and ready to play. They have a defensive monster...a game changer...in Williams. Thier punishing tailback, Gilbert, is also back. Look for Milan to be playing Alcoa again in the Boro.

I dont know much about Alcoa...except that they win a lot of games every year...in terms of what they lost and what they have coming back. Anyone fill us in on this?

Alcoa lost their quarterback too.............I think his last name was James (#8). They also lost that defensive end that played opposite of Robinson. I don't know what his name was but I remember him wearing #90. Those are really the lone "impact players" that Alcoa lost from last year's team.

Alcoa lost their quarterback too.............I think his last name was James (#8). They also lost that defensive end that played opposite of Robinson. I don't know what his name was but I remember him wearing #90. Those are really the lone "impact players" that Alcoa lost from last year's team.

Don't forget Sam Thompson. He graduated from Alcoa. He was Mr. Everything. Very good on both sides of the ball. He was the kind of player a coach loves, good athlete, smart, tough, nose for the ball, simply a good football player. I would definitely call him an impact player in the sense that he was so valuable to the overall productivity of both the offense and defense. And when the kicker (Brodus?) left the team, Sam stepped in and still kicked the ball to the end zone. I'm not related, although it sounds like I am. I'm a CAK guy, and I'm thrilled that we will not have to see Mr.Thompson any more. Of course Alcoa will have more than enough athletes to fill the few spots open from graduation.

About this time last year I said that Milan was going to be playing Alcoa for a championship and they did. Now, at this time again this year, I'll say Milan will be playing again in Murfreesboro for a state championship. Milan will most likely have the best defense in West TN this coming year and one of the top defenses in the state. You have Jobronski Gilbert and Avery Williamson at LB and Christian Coleman at DE. All 3 of those guys are most likely going to end up D1. Jobronski will also be back running the ball extremely hard again next season as well and should finish as a Mr. Football finalist if he stays healthy. I believe if Milan finds a QB that can get the job done, they should be back in Murfreesboro.

I was also told from a Henry Co. football player that they will be scrimmaging Milan this coming fall. That scrimmage right there will tell alot about what Milan will bring to the table as well as Henry Co.

GCPioneer,

When I said that Williams was a monster on defense, I meant Williamson. And yes, Christian Coleman will be hard to handle at DE. And, Gilbert will pound the ball...hard. I agree...if they can find a QB that just wont make critical mistakes, then they'll be in the Boro.

About this time last year I said that Milan was going to be playing Alcoa for a championship and they did. Now, at this time again this year, I'll say Milan will be playing again in Murfreesboro for a state championship. Milan will most likely have the best defense in West TN this coming year and one of the top defenses in the state. You have Jobronski Gilbert and Avery Williamson at LB and Christian Coleman at DE. All 3 of those guys are most likely going to end up D1. Jobronski will also be back running the ball extremely hard again next season as well and should finish as a Mr. Football finalist if he stays healthy. I believe if Milan finds a QB that can get the job done, they should be back in Murfreesboro.

I was also told from a Henry Co. football player that they will be scrimmaging Milan this coming fall. That scrimmage right there will tell alot about what Milan will bring to the table as well as Henry Co.

I agree that Milan will be good this year, but dont count out Goodpasture! Over 20 underclassmen were in the regular rotation on offense and defense last year, and it looks like Coach Martin is setting up to have a couple year run at state. Goodpasture is still very young. Most of the key contributors this year are going to be juniors. They look very balanced. I know that Milan has 3 top level players, it should be interesting to see how they come together as a team. Alcoa has the most debth by far. It will be interesting to see how they respond at quarterback, and I am also interested to see how the loss of #3 effects them. I dont know the young mans name, but I always liked they way he played.

Everybody need not worry about the QB situation at Alcoa...There is a Junior there that probably would have taken the starting job if he didn't think that he was a basketball player during football season and dislocate his elbow. (lesson learned I hope) Austin Tallent will be better than Chase James as QB at Alcoa. Looks like some receivers are finally starting to emerge as that was a VERY weak position last year as we had no real third option.