Any talent in NASHVILLE METRO?

Although this topic has completley gone off the subject, Mr. Swami is right in a lot of his rantings. Metro is/has been doomed due to politics. The coaching is very good in the system, it just takes the support of the administration and community. Why wouldn't parents send their kids to BA, MBA, & Ensworth compared to Hunters Lane, Antioch, and McGavock. Better facilities, better support, decent education. Just think of Antioch a few years ago with LaMarcus Coker, Preston Brown, Bruce Little, Barry Turner, Tyree Evans, etc. I say state championship. The "yes" men are that. Its not about community anymore, its about test scores. Its about who can get the most money to improve test scores, and make AYP. We can thank our former prez for creating a larger problem with NCLB. That's all school is about now. Not creating individuals ready for society, but creating schools that have good test scores (I know this sounds redundant, but it is true.)

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although this topic has completley gone off the subject, Mr. Swami is right in a lot of his rantings. Metro is/has been doomed due to politics. The coaching is very good in the system, it just takes the support of the administration and community. Why wouldn't parents send their kids to BA, MBA, & Ensworth compared to Hunters Lane, Antioch, and McGavock. Better facilities, better support, decent education. Just think of Antioch a few years ago with LaMarcus Coker, Preston Brown, Bruce Little, Barry Turner, Tyree Evans, etc. I say state championship. The "yes" men are that. Its not about community anymore, its about test scores. Its about who can get the most money to improve test scores, and make AYP. We can thank our former prez for creating a larger problem with NCLB. That's all school is about now. Not creating individuals ready for society, but creating schools that have good test scores (I know this sounds redundant, but it is true.)

What a crock. Society has taken care of Metro, not former President Bush.

What I mean is that "your world" is the result of the decay of society. President Bush did not do this. This started to occur in the early 70's with busing.

Well put, it could be that is why there is more community support in small towns for the high schools than in Nashville and thereby an inherently better educational environment.

Now, I am not naive enough to believe for a second that there aren't exceptional teachers and students in MNPS because I have met plenty of both, but the system as a whole setup is what it is: below average and continuing to decline while the administration continues to declare with all their might that they are doing the best they can in the sole interest of the students and teachers.

I agree that it is not about test scores alone, BUT even though that is true, I guarantee the low test scores in MNPS are not due to an emphasis on a national standard for test scores by the NCLB program. Rather, they are a product of a bigger problem with the system as a whole. The only thing is, instead of doing the things that would create the best educational environment possible for everyone, MNPS would rather focus on the test scores. Focus and make the former the PRIORITY and the test score performance will inevitably follow. Do the exact opposite and you get what MNPS is now.

If you want the quality of education in Metro Nashville Public Schools to increase you could do four (4) things that would make a huge difference: 1. Go back to "neighborhood schools" and forget about any type of quotas 2. Stop all school bus service and require kids to find their own transportation to school (this will force parents to buy into the childs education & if kids don't attend school place the parents in jail if you can find them) 3. The principal at each school has a budget and must hire everyone that works in the school (custodians, kitchen help, teachers, office staff, etc...) The principal would be the CEO of his/her school 4. Eliminate the union and tenure (make teaching like any other job, if your boss does not like the job that you are doing they are able to tell you to hit the road) Metro has huge problems and it will take major attitude changes to fix their problems, if they want them fixed as I sometimes wonder

How well would private schools and rural schools fare if they were forced to deal with:

*non-English speaking students that recently fell on your doorstop in mass?

*children of severe poverty?

*children with parents that do not value education?

*children with life issues that force them to focus on survival as their top priority?

I understand that parents' priority is their children; however, unless the majority of the population of an urban area (Nashville in this case) truly care about the big picture in a school system, that school system faces extraordinary obstacles. Those working in MNPS should be saluted. Moreover, they should be rewarded. Rewarded with a system that can overcome the obstacles they bravely face daily.

Many have suggested remedies. I believe in "strength in numbers". If we all care, a solution can be found.

I agree with that bleacher HOWEVER...........the fact is that Metro/Nashville is not the only place where that kind of stuff exists. It's just the same in Knoxville and in Memphis area public schools in the city. That doesn't stop schools in those areas from having success on the gridiron. Look at Fulton & Austin East from the Knoxvlle area. Look at Mitchell, Melrose, and East from the Memphis area. All 5 of those schools have won state championships or been to state championships in the last decade. Outside of Hillsboro (and Maplewood two years ago) there really hasn't been a Metro/Nashville public school that has even sniffed a state title since Pearl Cohn went back-to-back in 1996-1997. Pearl Cohn in 2006-2007 got to the state semifinals but never got to the Boro.

Outside of Buck Coatney at Fulton somone please tell me where the head coaching position has been stable throughout the last decade at any of those schools that I mentioned............ /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

POOR ME, PITY ME, I have so many problems out of my control so I'll not work hard or make my players behave because I'm just a metro coach with no help. blah blah blah

I have never heard one single metro coach say pity me or poor me. Coaches coach. They dont worry about the problems that exist and they dont make excuses. All of the coaches I have ever been around in metro are aware of the circumstances and the obstacles and still go out there each and every day and work just as hard as all other coaches in other circumstances. Coaches go out there and serve as role models for the kids. To a good deal of metro kids their coaches are the closest thing to a father figure that they have. That's why we coach. Its all for the kids.

As nununu stated this topic has gotten way off course and now we have lilal and his wisdom because of it. Lets get back on course.

Talent in metro....what kids have gone to summer camps to improve themselves and which kids are getting looks from colleges?

You can believe that if you want to. Come into our world.

No, it didn't start with bush-2. The decay really got going on the watch of reagan/bush-1. reagan had the nerve to veto an increase in the (at the time) 3.35/hour paltry minimum wage EVERY YEAR FOR EIGHT CONSECUTIVE YEARS.

There was no expression about the "working poor" pre-reagan. Two years into shrub-1's only term, when it was obvious there was enough votes to override a veto, he bugrudgingly signed off on a min. wage increase. After TEN YEARS of none. By comparison, the min. wage went from 1.65 to 3.35 in just FOUR years under Carter. It doubled.

You can all thank reagan (and to an extant also bush-1) and conservative America who fell for their b.s. for the explosion of poverty in the last 29 years. This is a fact.