~Carter Green Hornets 2009~

Boy

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the film of the game this year I saw was not what really happened in the ball game. It could have been a bunch of actors. You are right the mark of a good team is winning in close games. AE is a good team, it just seems since Coach Stephens left AE, AE has just not been able to get out of Region 2-3A of old either during playoff time. With all those athletes what could be the problem with AE?

When Coach Stephens took over in 1999, he was a young head coach. He called the offense, and Graham called the defense. They improved every year, and won the state championship in their third year (2001). Consistency with the coaching staff is a big reason they won the championship; having an unchanging coaching staff is often times the foundation of a good football program... this is true at every level. Coaches learning to work together helps to build a program. Look at Buck... he has been to the state championship game five times and won it three times since 2002, but he's been head coach since 1992. His winning percentage for his first 10 seasons was 43%, but it is 81% for his last 7 seasons (career winning percentage is 61%). Permberton has had a good winning percentage throughout his career at Catholic, but it took him 7 seasons to win the state championship.

Coach Graham is a good coach, but he hasn't had a good side kick for any length of time. This season is Graham's fifth season as head coach, and he will have his fourth offensive coordinator and third defensive coordinator. Even with the coaching staff changes, Graham has managed to improve every year.

2005: 7-5 lost in the second round (note that he was hired in either June or July of 2005 as head coach)

2006: 7-5 lost in the second round

2007: 9-4 lost in the third round

2008: 10-3 lost in the third round

Austin-East is on the verge of becomming a dominate program again. Graham is continuing to grow as a head coach, and his coaching staff is becoming more stable. You ask me what could be the problem with AE... I ask you to name a program that hired a first time head coach that won the state in his first five seasons. There may be some, I don't know. Answer the question in December and you may be able to say Coach Graham at Austin-East.

Something else to consider is the following:

2005: AE lost to the 3A State Champs

2007: AE lost to the 3A State Runner-up

2008: AE lost to the 3A State Champs

When you've got that kind of competition in your region, it is tough to make it out... especially for a new head coach. I'm looking forward to seeing the continued progress of Coach Graham and the Austin-East program this season.

Until Carter gets the best talent in the school playing for them and get enough quality players to where they don't have to play the same players on both sides of the ball it's going to be hard for them to beat a lot of the better teams.

I don't have a comment about getting the best talent at Carter to play football, but not having to play kids both ways is nice... not necessary, but a nice luxury. If players have to go both ways, you just have to get them in shape to do it. Fulton, Alcoa, and Catholic all have players that play on both sides of the ball.

Let's see roughly a min to go AE with no time-outs 3rd or 4th down 20+yds to go.Well I think what we should do here is put 11 players within 5 yds of the ball have a guy in the middle that wants to play linebacker let Jones run un molested in the middle for six(watch the film I may be a little off on the details)Remember what I said earlier that Carter only wins the game when there is a decided talent difference GREAT EXAMPLE.Oh and by the way the players blew the coverage was supposed to be in cover 6 and was in cover nothing or something like that.I guess the players got in the same coverage on the screen pass against AC another great example of what I said earlier and a 1pt play-off loss.Sometimes its simple just back-up a few yards keep 11 of the opposite color in front of you.Like I said the window is closing quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Stopped by Spring practice 1 time. Put a pink green red yellow or whatever color jersey on Meady if he goes down its OVER. As the Big Green enters into the new era which we will refer to for next little while as LIFE AFTER 11 it has not started so well losing Smith didn't need to happen. For the last 7 years the 1 thing that Coach Woods had the luxury of was a QB that could manage to run 6 miles per night to get plays from the sideline and adjust enough to make them work(B Stanton-M Bounds-L.Stanton)seems to be quite a bit of uncertainty at this position heading into the season the word I'm getting is that Coach W has him a transfer that runs a sub 6 40 to hand it to Meady.With the schedule that has been put together IF MEADY STAYS HEALTHY Carter can win 7. The window is closing on Carter having a talent edge on the teams in their region and if history is correct as it usually is Carter only wins the games that they have a decided talent advantage in. Those will be become fewer over the next 3 yrs.GO HORNETS!!!!!

Your sons were not that good sir!

Until Carter gets the best talent in the school playing for them and get enough quality players to where they don't have to play the same players on both sides of the ball it's going to be hard for them to beat a lot of the better teams.

A vast majority of top programs with the enrollment of Carter plays their players on both sides of the ball. The RB and QB are the exceptions most of the time. So that shouldn't be a factor. The biggest factor for Carters talent is the fact kids out of middle school can so easily go to other schools. (AE, Gibbs, Fulton, Etc) They have played better the past few years which is large part to the weak region they were in, but that success can help them going into the future.

Carter has done pretty good, yes I know that the region they played in was not that of region 2-3A. They played in Region 3-4A for many years against Maryville, Knox West, Powell, Halls, Clinton, and always played Fulton as well. They were the smallest 4A team in Tn. Yet some how still managed to get into the playoffs. When they finally got to play against teams that were more in there enrollment they did pretty good. It was a much weaker region than Region 2-3A from top to bottom, but just like every other 3A team in Tn they lost to the state Champions almost every year. First year it was Fulton, second year Livingston Academy, next year Fulton. They did lose to Anderson Co last year, but it was close. Anderson Co. Had a close game with Catholic. Several years ago Carter had a kid that started QB for Catholic, 2 Lineman that started for Fulton, 3 players- QB, WR, LB that started for Knox Central, a kid that started for Knox West, and 2 at AE. All these kids were zoned for Carter. All but the 2 kids for AE lived 2 miles East from Carter High School. I never heard any complaints from them about that. I have thought for years that Carters Coach did a pretty good job with the loss of players that should have been playing at Carter.

Anyone can coach from the stands, but not everyone can get a degree, lic to teach, and coach High School football, deal with some idiot parents, deal with some idiot kids, manage coaches and players, raise money to keep his program going, work on the field, work on equipment, not to mention his family obligations. Oh yeah I almost forgot, Make really hard decisions to let a player go that he knows he really needs to win, but has to keep his other 75 kids from following in the kids footsteps toward a life of who knows what. And did I mention him sometimes having to put those kids with idiot parents ahead of his own kids and family.

Carter has done pretty good, yes I know that the region they played in was not that of region 2-3A. They played in Region 3-4A for many years against Maryville, Knox West, Powell, Halls, Clinton, and always played Fulton as well. They were the smallest 4A team in Tn. Yet some how still managed to get into the playoffs. When they finally got to play against teams that were more in there enrollment they did pretty good. It was a much weaker region than Region 2-3A from top to bottom, but just like every other 3A team in Tn they lost to the state Champions almost every year. First year it was Fulton, second year Livingston Academy, next year Fulton. They did lose to Anderson Co last year, but it was close. Anderson Co. Had a close game with Catholic. Several years ago Carter had a kid that started QB for Catholic, 2 Lineman that started for Fulton, 3 players- QB, WR, LB that started for Knox Central, a kid that started for Knox West, and 2 at AE. All these kids were zoned for Carter. All but the 2 kids for AE lived 2 miles East from Carter High School. I never heard any complaints from them about that. I have thought for years that Carters Coach did a pretty good job with the loss of players that should have been playing at Carter.

Anyone can coach from the stands, but not everyone can get a degree, lic to teach, and coach High School football, deal with some idiot parents, deal with some idiot kids, manage coaches and players, raise money to keep his program going, work on the field, work on equipment, not to mention his family obligations. Oh yeah I almost forgot, Make really hard decisions to let a player go that he knows he really needs to win, but has to keep his other 75 kids from following in the kids footsteps toward a life of who knows what. And did I mention him sometimes having to put those kids with idiot parents ahead of his own kids and family.

It almost sounds like you are "crying."

Carter's coach(es) are not the only coahces with a degree and a license to teach that have to deal with all of the things that you listed. Those things are a part of being a high school football coach.

It almost sounds like you are "crying."

Carter's coach(es) are not the only coahces with a degree and a license to teach that have to deal with all of the things that you listed. Those things are a part of being a high school football coach.

I was not saying that. Knox County requires all its Head Coaches to be licensed by the state to teach. They can get a waiver, but that hardly ever happends. I know that Graham was on a waiver when he was hired.

Every coach has to deal with this kind of stuff. At least the majority do.

I was actually explaining to someone that was complaining.

Indiangiver come on now you don't have to like me but lets not get stupid here. All State,All Region,Team MVP's NOT VERY GOOD.I don't vote for these awards. But anyway it was a lot of fun while it lasted.And quit cryin you make very valid points when it comes to coaches it is a lot BS for not much $$$. And fyi if it is important to you some of us bleacher coaches have that degree you speak of.TA TA

• 4 weeks later...

Has Carter dropped football? Are we back to the back pages again? Have we scrimmaged? Don't tell me we got beat by Cherokee.Hey give me some info here. And tell me how we can get in a fight in passing league.I'm sure if you ask enough last years QB had to have started it somehow.Surely it is at least 5 games isn't it.