What happened to JCM - from an alum

AxiomaTN

I am an alumnus of JCM, class of 2003.

I havent kept up with high school football in Tennessee since I graduated and moved overseas but I decided to do a little research today and I found a few disturbing things. JCM, when I was there, was a traditional west tn powerhouse with several NFL players (Al Wilson, Ed "Too Tall" Jones). I saw that they had several good seasons after I left and apparently now they are awful, not winning a game last season and only 1 the season before.

I am completely out of the loop, as I have no more connections in Jackson.

What happened?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I may be way off , but I believe they went up a class or two, and its been a rough go ever since.

Probably some other factors to it but I believe that might have one thing to do with it.

We were 5 A when I was there, and as I understand they moved down to 4 A

I am an alumnus of JCM, class of 2003.

I havent kept up with high school football in Tennessee since I graduated and moved overseas but I decided to do a little research today and I found a few disturbing things. JCM, when I was there, was a traditional west tn powerhouse with several NFL players (Al Wilson, Ed "Too Tall" Jones). I saw that they had several good seasons after I left and apparently now they are awful, not winning a game last season and only 1 the season before.

I am completely out of the loop, as I have no more connections in Jackson.

What happened?

Ed "Too Tall" Jones did not play for JCM. He played football at Merry High School back in the 60's. That's just a tad before your time at JCM. I think that you will find that Al Wilson was not at JCM when you were there either.

The question I would be asking right now if I were you is when is JCM going to name a head coach? Or, are they going to wait till August to name on like they did last season?

Ed "Too Tall" Jones did not play for JCM. He played football at Merry High School back in the 60's. That's just a tad before your time at JCM. I think that you will find that Al Wilson was not at JCM when you were there either.

Jackson Central and Merry high merged to create Jackson-Central Merry. Thus, he did go to my school, as all of his trophies and pictures are in the cases that I walked by everyday, and I sat in the same rooms he did.

I am also quite aware that Al Wilson wasnt there either. I played football and Im pretty sure that I would have know if he was on the team. Im sure you didnt mean to sound rude in your post, but your wrong to insult my intelligence about the 2 biggest names to come out of JCM.

Despite that,

Can you give me a summary of what has happened over the past few years? Where did Coach Hardagree go? Who were the coaches? Google provides nothing

Jackson Central and Merry high merged to create Jackson-Central Merry. Thus, he did go to my school, as all of his trophies and pictures are in the cases that I walked by everyday, and I sat in the same rooms he did.

I am also quite aware that Al Wilson wasnt there either. I played football and Im pretty sure that I would have know if he was on the team. Im sure you didnt mean to sound rude in your post, but your wrong to insult my intelligence about the 2 biggest names to come out of JCM.

Despite that,

Can you give me a summary of what has happened over the past few years? Where did Coach Hardagree go? Who were the coaches? Google provides nothing

Sad report coming. Through the 2006 season JCM was a very powerful force to deal with on the gridiron. Several factors contributed to their downfall. 1. JCM was a failing school ( the result was that athletes are allowed to move to a non-failing school without a loss of eligibility.) 2. Zoning was redistricted and JCM lost a number of students to Northside. 3. Liberty was opened and JCM lost some students to the new Magnet school. 4. The administration just simply didn't care about the football program ( ex. of last year not hiring a coach in a timely manner..ie. no spring practice, and a coach not named until late in the summer.) End result was self evident 0-10. Looks like more of the same to me. There wasn't a coach in place to handle spring, you have to wonder if anyone ran a weight program, no summer program has been set up (No coach) etc. Sad scenario that only looks to get worse. I'm not sure it's salvagable.

Despite that,

You might want to check your facts. It was Jackson High School that merged with Merry High to form JCM. There was no such school as Jackson Central.

As "Too Tall" Jones graduated from Merry High School, it is impossible for him to be from JCM as you claim. Especially since JCM did not exsist when "Too Tall" Jones was going to high school in Jackson. The fact that JCM is housed in what used to be the Merry High building makes no difference. You ask "Too Tall" Jones where he graduated high school from. He won't say JCM.

It's too bad that JCM does not honor the heritage of Jackson High. That schools trophies and banners seem to have disappeared. Still, you can find some Merry High trophies. That is not right.

As to your question, Jim Hardegree left JCM and went to USJ as an assistant coach after former QB Bo Hardegree graduated from JCM. His youngest son Bill, was a starting QB for USJ at one point. Coach Hardegree had had enough of the JMCSS and JCM in particular.

Another poster pretty well summerized the rapid fall of the JCM football program. The former administration at JCM, headed by former Principal Crump, did not support the football program. A good coach was hired right before the start of the season. He has since left to become the head coach at McNairy Central. It's a much better situation for him as a coach. He will have the support of the administration, students, booster clubs, and fans.

As of right now, JCM has no football coach. I am not sure if any of the assistant coaches are staying either.

Something good that has come out of the program within the past 2-3 years is Gavin Harden. He was a Senior MLB on the team that had only won 1 game, but he was still one of the best LB's in all of Tennessee that year. He is now playing for the Miami Hurricanes.

JCM is just a bad situation right now. I don't know who or what coach would want to go into a situation like that. I hope they get the problem resolved, but it doesn't look like it will be anytime in the near future.