Coaches and Cussing!

Titanfan99

More importantly cursing is looked down upon by the church goers and by people whose kid needs to be cursed at from time to time. I get so sick of...."That's ok Ashton...You'll get em next time." HeL no Ashton won't. He stinks and rarely ever gets em!

If Ashton stinks and is not going to "get em next time" anyway, how is using cuss words going to make a difference.

I agree that ..."That's ok Ashton...You'll get em next time" is not good coaching. If a kid is not doing something right, it's one of three things:

1. He doesn't understand what he's suppose to do (cuss words won't help this)

2. He is uncapable of doing what he's suppose to do (cuss words won't help this)

3. He doesn't have the proper motivation to get the job done (Cuss words could possibly get the proper motivation, but they are not necessary. There are other ways to achieve the proper motivation)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cussing does not have to be a part of sports. It probably is in a lot of instances, but there are some programs on the high school and college level that have coaches that do not allow that type of language. You can get your point across without using curse words. I agree that using curse words does get the attention of people, but there are other methods that work.

Also, not using curse words doesn't make a person quite, timid, or not intense.

OK, i get it. You shouldn't cuss AT a kid. But what you all dont get is that this the problem with America today. I mean, what are cuss words anyway. Was there a committee that sat down a long time ago and said, "let's create some words that no one is supposed to say? It's like we allow kids to have rights as if they are equal to adults. THEY'RE KIDS, THEY HAVE NO STINKING RIGHTS!!! You have parents like yourselves who get offended over everything and want to blame everybody else for why 'little johny' is screwed up and cant take discipline or authority. But at the same time, you want to take discipline and authority out of the hands of everyone who has it. That's what makes people not want to even deal with your d*mn kids in the first place. No wonder we have so many kids disrespecting authority figures in the classroom and on the field. Its because of discussion boards like this. And I will bet money that the same parents and people who complain about things like this are the same people who take their sons on vacation in the middle of camp or allow their kid to miss practice for some silly reason. And the crazy thing is, these same parents will be upset with the coach for disciplining their kid when they get back. You all expect everybody to get trohphies at banquets and that everyone should have equal playing time too. Give me a ######*%$ng break!!! Oops I meant 'freaking break' wouldnt want to offend anybody. I cant believe I just wasted my time enlightening you all about this.

OK, i get it. You shouldn't cuss AT a kid. But what you all dont get is that this the problem with America today. I mean, what are cuss words anyway. Was there a committee that sat down a long time ago and said, "let's create some words that no one is supposed to say? It's like we allow kids to have rights as if they are equal to adults. THEY'RE KIDS, THEY HAVE NO STINKING RIGHTS!!! You have parents like yourselves who get offended over everything and want to blame everybody else for why 'little johny' is screwed up and cant take discipline or authority. But at the same time, you want to take discipline and authority out of the hands of everyone who has it. That's what makes people not want to even deal with your d*mn kids in the first place. No wonder we have so many kids disrespecting authority figures in the classroom and on the field. Its because of discussion boards like this. And I will bet money that the same parents and people who complain about things like this are the same people who take their sons on vacation in the middle of camp or allow their kid to miss practice for some silly reason. And the crazy thing is, these same parents will be upset with the coach for disciplining their kid when they get back. You all expect everybody to get trohphies at banquets and that everyone should have equal playing time too. Give me a ######*%$ng break!!! Oops I meant 'freaking break' wouldnt want to offend anybody. I cant believe I just wasted my time enlightening you all about this.

Ok...

I'm not a parent, and I never said that cussing offends me.

It's funny how people make assumptions based on their limited experiences. What I said is that cussing in sports, especially high school sports, is not necessary.

And...

What does cussing have to do with "discipline or authority?"

Ok...

I'm not a parent, and I never said that cussing offends me.

It's funny how people make assumptions based on their limited experiences. What I said is that cussing in sports, especially high school sports, is not necessary.

And...

What does cussing have to do with "discipline or authority?"

I wasn't talking to your statement. It just happened to be the last one on the page so i replied to it. I read what everyone was talking about and its just crazy to me how times have changed.

If your intent is to not cuss, it sounds like you need more discipline and control.

Never have had an issue with control or discipline....... This is a funny statement coming from a supporter of the most undisciplined out of control programs in East Tennessee. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I consider coaches - which in high school are also teachers - to be professionals. I have a professional career and have a team of people who work for me; I would never consider using profanity to motive or instruct my employees. To do so would be inexcusable, and I would be immediately fired if that were my chosen method of management. I am also a parent, and in that capacity, it is my job daily to instruct, discipline and motivate my children. I would NEVER consider cursing them as a method to accomplish this goal. Why would I expect less of people that my tax dollars are paying to guide my children. Reality is that most of the players on any team will be ending their career when they graduate from high school. Is it not more important to teach them how respectful, professional adults should behave in their workplace than it is to use such inappropriate methods in order to attempt to motive a team? Any coach that cannot instruct, discipline and motivate without resorting to such tactics should be fired. No classroom teacher would ever be allowed to speak to students with such a lack of respect without being fired, so why should a coach be any different?

I watched a local coach using profanity with his middle school team this past year. His team performed as poorly as he was behaving most of the season. Not only did his words not motivate his team to victory, they left a group of young men with no respect for a man that should have been their role model. Unfortunately, many of the boys on the team had no father in their lives or fathers who were not very good examples themselves, so he could have used the opportunity to teach them what is right instead of giving them more of what they probably already heard at home.

I agree that most teens use profanity when speaking with each other on a daily basis. I don't agree that this fact condones the behavior of professional adults. It is not our job as professionals, parents and role models to mimic the poor behavior of children but rather to exemplify the behavior of the men and women that we hope that they will become.

I just love how non-teachers always bring up the fact that their tax dollars pay my salary. How ridiculous a statement is that? Unless you stay at home and never purchase products or use services, then you can"t make this statement, because guess what....we all pay each other's salaries. I don't tell the cashier at Wal-Mart to work faster by saying "hey, I pay your salary so do what I say!" How totally ludicrous a notion! If you work at a bank, guess what, my business there pays your salary. If your are a waitress at a restaurant, and I eat there...guess what, i pay your salary. It all boils down to how people can do whatever they want to do, but when a teacher or coach even remotely angers them, they think "how dare that individual, i pay his salary through my tax dollars, he should read my mind and do what i want them to do." You know what, next time I get pulled over by a state trooper, i'm gonna tell him, "hey, my tax dollars pay your salary, so you need to rip that ticket up." I'm sure that is gonna work.

I just love how non-teachers always bring up the fact that their tax dollars pay my salary. How ridiculous a statement is that? Unless you stay at home and never purchase products or use services, then you can"t make this statement, because guess what....we all pay each other's salaries. I don't tell the cashier at Wal-Mart to work faster by saying "hey, I pay your salary so do what I say!" How totally ludicrous a notion! If you work at a bank, guess what, my business there pays your salary. If your are a waitress at a restaurant, and I eat there...guess what, i pay your salary. It all boils down to how people can do whatever they want to do, but when a teacher or coach even remotely angers them, they think "how dare that individual, i pay his salary through my tax dollars, he should read my mind and do what i want them to do." You know what, next time I get pulled over by a state trooper, i'm gonna tell him, "hey, my tax dollars pay your salary, so you need to rip that ticket up." I'm sure that is gonna work.

My husband is a state employee and I have been a teacher. He does feel that he works for the taxpayers of the State of Tennessee and so did I. Ironically, instead of being insulted by that, he feels that he does his job to the best of his ability and takes pride in his service. If a trooper has pulled you over, he has done the job he is getting paid to do and is protecting the rest of the citizens. I don't think the same can be said for a coach that is cursing his students... I don't think you would have to read the mind of the average parent to know that they wouldn't consider that behavior to be appropriate.

I'm a teacher and coach too, and I was only commenting on that one particular statement. I too believe that cursing is unprofessional and inappropriate behavior. And as a teacher, I don't feel like I work for the taxpayers of Tennessee, I work to educate the children of Tennessee. People only use that line about "i pay your salary through my taxes" as a reason to think they can tell a teacher or coach how to do what they do.

Never have had an issue with control or discipline....... This is a funny statement coming from a supporter of the most undisciplined out of control programs in East Tennessee. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I wouldn't say never... "typically don't have an issue" may be a better way to say it. You said yourself that you "occasionally [let] one slip" and that you "lost it one day." If I happened to witness these few occasions, I could come to the concusion that you were a coach that did not have any self control for your language or your team. It's not good to judge 100% (the whole) based on 1% (a small percentage).

Example: A baseball player goes hitless in 2 out of 30 games during a season. Is it fair to say that this baseball player is a terrible offensive player? He could go 1 for 3 in the other 28 games and have a batting average of .311

Go watch an Austin-East practice for a week and and tell me about the "undisciplined" and "out of control" nature of their program. Bad reputations (deserved or undeserved) are truly hard to get rid of, but Graham and the coaching staff is working on it.

I just wanted to mention just a few days ago a kid in Memphis pulled a gun on a coach and threatened to kill him but didn't, I don't know all the details but thought its worth mentioning on this post. They say the kid could have some college offers.

I'm grateful he didn't.

He should be OFF his high school team and OFF any college list as well.

Can you elaborate on the where, team and when?