Dobyns Bennett Football

From what I've seen on the offensive line,it could be very good this year.The last line up in spring was big and very athletic.The defensive line is a three man front with a big nose and small fast ends.Mat{nose} is a very big and mean player that didn't play last year.The ends are like adding two more linebackers with all of our stunts and speed.We will open up under fire with the first two games,but I like this teams work so far,and look forward to 2009

It seems like we have gotten away from the heavy weight training that was present in the late 80's and 90's. I think we are getting our players conditioned but i've noticed many of the big dogs on other teams are not only conditioned but are very big and strong. Just look at Farragut, their players are huge. Big arms,legs and can fly. We need to blend some of the old coach Wilson stuff back into the game plan as well as open it up some. The 7 on 7 was cool to see. It was like watching the Duran Ferguson show again wth all the passes, and Roop can fling the ball. Let's take advantage of our strengths and not blow it lasdt year. Come on coaches, you better not keep the ball from Steele, our best receiver, like you did the best last year. Give me a break! Roll Tribe.................

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope they get the ball in Derrick's hands alot more this year. And I mean alot more! Im worried about the line on both sides of the ball as well as the defensive backfield. We had a weak line last year that didn't block very well. I haven't heard of any improvements there. And after losing Sylvester in the defensive backfield we may be in real trouble there.

If what I heard the other day is true, we're in more trouble in the defensive backfield than you know. Specifically, that the other Sylvester isn't playing FB this year and is going to concentrate on BB. I hope it is an unfounded rumor.

Batman, you seem high on Matt at NG; has he gained back any of the weight he lost over the last year or so? He's a big framed kid, but I bet he lost 60-70 pounds easy from when he was a frosh. Not saying he needs to gain it all back, but last time I saw him (in regular clothes--haven't seen him in pads) he looked pretty light to be playing NG.

If what I heard the other day is true, we're in more trouble in the defensive backfield than you know. Specifically, that the other Sylvester isn't playing FB this year and is going to concentrate on BB. I hope it is an unfounded rumor.

Batman, you seem high on Matt at NG; has he gained back any of the weight he lost over the last year or so? He's a big framed kid, but I bet he lost 60-70 pounds easy from when he was a frosh. Not saying he needs to gain it all back, but last time I saw him (in regular clothes--haven't seen him in pads) he looked pretty light to be playing NG.

I don't know what Mat weighs,but during spring practice,him and Patrick looked pretty close in size.I would guess he is around 6'4'' and 260 or so.It's just a guess,but I would take the way both of them move over another 40 or 50 pounds of fat on them.I'll talk about the rest of the offensive side now. Cody,our left guard is around 6'1'' and 265,he works really hard in the gym,I know that for a fact,he and my favorite player go alot .Cory,is a a gifted athlete at right tackle,I would say 6'3'' 260 and very fast for a big guy.The left tackle was a little more open for grabs,but we had some size there at the end of spring.The big question that will be answered this fall is with Hayworth.He is big and very strong for a 10th grader,and has a lot of speed.The coaches had him at right guard and moved Patrick to center during spring,and I liked the size and foot speed of this group.There are bigger offensive lines,but all our guys can run,and speed kills.I'll touch on the backfield a little now.The biggest loss is Justin from last year,other than that we can't be any younger than when 2008 started.We have some athletes back there.Derrick,Seabolt and Kevin can all run.Brandon played a bunch at safety last year and a couple more guys look pretty athletic.Both dogs will be different this year with Devon not playing and Jason moving to linebacker from what I've been told.The biggest hurt not having Devon there will be on run defense on that side,because he had size to make those plays.I'm telling anyone that would read this,if we were to put Chris at linebacker to track down the ball,it would help every part of our defensive play.Remember the South game in 2006 ,our team is based on stunts and speed.Why not put more speed over there ? I think Chris is a great running back,but for those that have seen him at linebacker !

Haven't seen Chris play D since he was at MLB at Sevier, but I have to agree he was even more dominant on D than on O. I think they could have put a couple of cheerleaders at the other two LB slots and done just fine because he covered the entire field. But with Chris you never know how long he'll be on the field, because he plays with no regard for his body whatsoever--most of his tackles looked like train wrecks. And usually it was the other guy who came out the worst (sometimes out of the game too), but Chris hurts himself regularly also. If we could find a way to get him in on D (maybe by giving him a few less touches on O) it would be interesting for sure.

I agree with Batmandb. We will have a pretty good team this year. Last year we had 1 returning offensive lineman, so lack of experience did hurt. This year we return 2 starters but have a talented bunch competing for the other slots. The defense will be solid with a quick front line ,lb's and db's. Stelle , Kay and Brewster are solid as db's. The question mark with be on offense. Can we throw the ball effectively to keep teams from stacking the box?? That's what hurt us last year when teams started putting 7 in the box to stop Chris. We must pass the ball downfield better !! ROLL TRIBE !!!

I agree with Batmandb. We will have a pretty good team this year. Last year we had 1 returning offensive lineman, so lack of experience did hurt. This year we return 2 starters but have a talented bunch competing for the other slots. The defense will be solid with a quick front line ,lb's and db's. Stelle , Kay and Brewster are solid as db's. The question mark with be on offense. Can we throw the ball effectively to keep teams from stacking the box?? That's what hurt us last year when teams started putting 7 in the box to stop Chris. We must pass the ball downfield better !! ROLL TRIBE !!!

Didnt you guys finish 10-1 last year? I would hate to have seen what you would have done with an experienced offensive line.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I hate this dead period. I am so ready for football to start. I know it will be here before we know it, but im just ready to get the season started! I am really looking forward to coming up to Kingsport in week 1! You definitely have respect from our players, coaches, and fans. I hope we bring alot of fans, but our town is 1/3 the size of Oak Ridge if that tells you anything. Good luck to you guys this year, i would love to see you end up in Cookeville! Its about time and you deserve it!

Didnt you guys finish 10-1 last year? I would hate to have seen what you would have done with an experienced offensive line.... /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I hate this dead period. I am so ready for football to start. I know it will be here before we know it, but im just ready to get the season started! I am really looking forward to coming up to Kingsport in week 1! You definitely have respect from our players, coaches, and fans. I hope we bring alot of fans, but our town is 1/3 the size of Oak Ridge if that tells you anything. Good luck to you guys this year, i would love to see you end up in Cookeville! Its about time and you deserve it!

Had last years group keep all of it's players ,it would have been very good.We had five or six very good players leave or not be able to play. We still had a very good team with a lot of skill and speed,but just blew a game that I thought we should have won by three or four touchdowns in the first round.This years team has a lot of questions to be answered,and great teams like yours and Farragut will help us learn to play at a faster pace right out of the gate.I just hope we can do like our 2007 team done and get better as the year rolls along .What we don't need to do is get excited if the first couple of games don't go greatly,because anybody can beat a bad team, but few will beat great teams.I'd say we have not played many teams during the regular season over the last ten years that come close to being as good as your team and Farragut,so we look forward to you guys coming up here, and hope you get to Cookeville as well.I've got to get ready for a little trip,so I'll check back in a few days.

Had last years group keep all of it's players ,it would have been very good.We had five or six very good players leave or not be able to play. We still had a very good team with a lot of skill and speed,but just blew a game that I thought we should have won by three or four touchdowns in the first round.This years team has a lot of questions to be answered,and great teams like yours and Farragut will help us learn to play at a faster pace right out of the gate.I just hope we can do like our 2007 team done and get better as the year rolls along .What we don't need to do is get excited if the first couple of games don't go greatly,because anybody can beat a bad team, but few will beat great teams.I'd say we have not played many teams during the regular season over the last ten years that come close to being as good as your team and Farragut,so we look forward to you guys coming up here, and hope you get to Cookeville as well.I've got to get ready for a little trip,so I'll check back in a few days.

Thank you for the kind words and you have a safe trip!

I don't know what Mat weighs,but during spring practice,him and Patrick looked pretty close in size.I would guess he is around 6'4'' and 260 or so.It's just a guess,but I would take the way both of them move over another 40 or 50 pounds of fat on them.I'll talk about the rest of the offensive side now. Cody,our left guard is around 6'1'' and 265,he works really hard in the gym,I know that for a fact,he and my favorite player go alot .Cory,is a a gifted athlete at right tackle,I would say 6'3'' 260 and very fast for a big guy.The left tackle was a little more open for grabs,but we had some size there at the end of spring.The big question that will be answered this fall is with Hayworth.He is big and very strong for a 10th grader,and has a lot of speed.The coaches had him at right guard and moved Patrick to center during spring,and I liked the size and foot speed of this group.There are bigger offensive lines,but all our guys can run,and speed kills.I'll touch on the backfield a little now.The biggest loss is Justin from last year,other than that we can't be any younger than when 2008 started.We have some athletes back there.Derrick,Seabolt and Kevin can all run.Brandon played a bunch at safety last year and a couple more guys look pretty athletic.Both dogs will be different this year with Devon not playing and Jason moving to linebacker from what I've been told.The biggest hurt not having Devon there will be on run defense on that side,because he had size to make those plays.I'm telling anyone that would read this,if we were to put Chris at linebacker to track down the ball,it would help every part of our defensive play.Remember the South game in 2006 ,our team is based on stunts and speed.Why not put more speed over there ? I think Chris is a great running back,but for those that have seen him at linebacker !

Batman i couldnt agree with you more chris would be great on D but i wouldnt want him getting more than 10 reps a game there

he is very valuable to the offense and the last thing we need is him getting hurt again that destroyed the mindset of the team last year during the mcmin co game

you could just feel it when he left so did the teams chances and it shouldnt be that way but thats how it was and i think we are a stronger team this year but he most def. helps our chances when he runs the ball and our O line isnt set in stone yet but those boys are workin hard and its gonna pay off it always does

Batman i couldnt agree with you more chris would be great on D but i wouldnt want him getting more than 10 reps a game there

he is very valuable to the offense and the last thing we need is him getting hurt again that destroyed the mindset of the team last year during the mcmin co game

you could just feel it when he left so did the teams chances and it shouldnt be that way but thats how it was and i think we are a stronger team this year but he most def. helps our chances when he runs the ball and our O line isnt set in stone yet but those boys are workin hard and its gonna pay off it always does

Just curious: What do you think is Chris' best chance of playing major college ball? Is it offense or defense?

Just curious...did the teams participating in this tournament get special permission from the TSSAA to conduct 7 on 7 practices during the month of June, or did they all arrive cold without having practiced since the Spring (as the rules stipulate)?

Why don't you just call the TSSAA and find out?