Murphy Fair's Preseason Favorites

I agree. You would think Fair would learn that GP is always there in the top at the end. How do you not pick a perennial top 4 team in the top top 5? Seems like a safe pick to me.

Me too....Maybe Murph and Jeff Lockridge are not holding hands anymore and their bromance with small Middle Tennessee football is waining.

GP would be a safer pick than Tyner, that is for sure.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering why Goodpasture wouldn't be listed among the 3A favorites. They were extremely young in many areas last year and went to the state semifinals and unless something happened they have a lot of players returning to the field from that team this upcoming season.

No that doesn't mean that I am saying Westview is the team that needs to go either. Coach Coady has done a great job there for several years and the Chargers belong among the elite.

Goodpasture not being listed among the favorites simply is the one thing out of all of these rankings that amazes me the most /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I agree. Although I do understand that rankings dont mean anything, that is why they play the games. But Goodpasture is either in the finals or semi-finals every year. Last year was suppose to be a down year because of there youth. I would understand it if Goodpasture was a senior heavy team last year, and they had alot of new players playing for the first time, but that is not the case. They had 16 undrclassemen who either started or was in the regular rotation. They also have about 8 players who started last year as sophomores. And there quarterback was a freshman last year, so that is the only part I dont understand. They should be well balanced, and they will have a BIG offensive line. The core of there team will all be juniors this year!

I'm not quite sure about Westview. They normally are right there in the thick of things, but they lost their star RB in JC Griggs last year.

The departure of Griggs will be a big void that needs to be filled, but with your young QB who was playing extremely well before getting injured last year and a core of young players that gained a lot of much needed game time experience last year, they should be a force to reckon with...we will have to see who fills that RB void first! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

3A - agree with Alcoa, Austin-East, Milan and Tyner

Sub Goodpasture for Westview

Here's the thing about Westview. They return one of the area's quickest backs in Demarcus Williams, a good young QB and a better, stronger defense. This team was really young in '08, but as noted they got lots of good game experience.

But look at their first 5 games.

#5 Huntingdon, at #4 McKenzie, at #2 Milan, #3 Camden, at #11 Dyersburg

Those will set the tone early, and the Chargers could go 1-4 or 2-3.

If Westview earns a playoff spot though, they will be ready to battle. Remember that Milan had to beat them on a last-minute FG in the 2nd round.

I have to disagree as I have been getting Murphy's book since the mid 90's and I have to say he is usually pretty accurate in his preseason top 5 for each class. Just looking at his book from last year in his top 5 for each classification and the teams that played for the championship in that class and he usually hits on one of them.

Bold = was in his top 5 for '08

1-A:

Trousdale County 31 , Jo Byrns 14

2A

Alcoa 28 , Milan14

3A

Knoxville Catholic 28 , Mitchell 18

4A

Hillsboro 10 , Maryville 7

5A

Oakland 20 , Franklin 13

Div. II A