District 13AA

cdja1991

Coach russell has actually made 3 trips to the state tourney as head coach with the first bein a final 4 apperance where they got beat by upperman and has far as the district goes westview did play gc well at gc at westview the game wasnt as close as the score indicated and the title will run the gc but it would not surprise me that westview beat gc this year

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no doubt that Westview and Gibson County will be two strong teams. I do believe that they will have a tougher region to get through having to beat McNairy Central and Bolivar. Both of these teams have great guard play and excfellent coaching and I believe they will be able to handle any press sent thier way.

Nobody stopped all 3 of those girls in 1 game last year and they won't this year. If one didn't score, one of the other 2 stepped up and pulled the others along to victory. I'm not saying we won't get beat this year, but no one will completely shut down or completely contain all 3 of those girls in one game. Butler may finish with 9 points in a game, but I guarantee Griffin or Reedy will finish with 20+ in that same game.

I know you saw the style of play the last 2 years compared to the years Coach Russell was head coach. Coach McMillan had a whole different offensive scheme compared to Coach Russell. Coach Russell was quoted as saying he doesn't plan to change a thing that they did last year. That press that Coach Russell throws out every year seems to cause a turnover or 2 too!

You stated Coach Russell's last 2 trips to state were one and done. You fail to mention who they played. Chester Co. with a Rebecca Rowsey and a Bianca Thomas (2 Major D1 players, Georgia and Ole Miss) and then Livingston Academy (state champs) with a Katrina Beechboard. Also, those 2 GC teams had no trio like last years team and this years team. Last years team was definately the best to come through Gibson Co. and 90% of their scoring is back this year. I still think there's 5 rounds of Gibson Co. and Westview this year. That 5th one will decide it all hopefully!

As for Bolivar handling a press... I believe they had 42 turnovers against us in the first round of the state tournaments last year. By the way, where will Region tournaments be hosted at? Oman Arena sure would be an awesome place as it'd be a central location.

Nobody stopped all 3 of those girls in 1 game last year and they won't this year. If one didn't score, one of the other 2 stepped up and pulled the others along to victory. I'm not saying we won't get beat this year, but no one will completely shut down or completely contain all 3 of those girls in one game. Butler may finish with 9 points in a game, but I guarantee Griffin or Reedy will finish with 20+ in that same game.

I know you saw the style of play the last 2 years compared to the years Coach Russell was head coach. Coach McMillan had a whole different offensive scheme compared to Coach Russell. Coach Russell was quoted as saying he doesn't plan to change a thing that they did last year. That press that Coach Russell throws out every year seems to cause a turnover or 2 too!

You stated Coach Russell's last 2 trips to state were one and done. You fail to mention who they played. Chester Co. with a Rebecca Rowsey and a Bianca Thomas (2 Major D1 players, Georgia and Ole Miss) and then Livingston Academy (state champs) with a Katrina Beechboard. Also, those 2 GC teams had no trio like last years team and this years team. Last years team was definately the best to come through Gibson Co. and 90% of their scoring is back this year. I still think there's 5 rounds of Gibson Co. and Westview this year. That 5th one will decide it all hopefully!

As for Bolivar handling a press... I believe they had 42 turnovers against us in the first round of the state tournaments last year. By the way, where will Region tournaments be hosted at? Oman Arena sure would be an awesome place as it'd be a central location.

Coach Russell wil do an excellent job. He is one of the best. I would think GC will bring home another gold ball .

Westview, that's who. They did it once last year (took OT) and almost did it in Martin. Now granted, the Lady Pioneers rolled twice in district and region but nobody was able to stop them then.

Gibson Co. will be VERY good. No question. But the odds for back to back aren't in their favor. Only 1 (Austin-East) of the last 5 AA champs made it to state the year after winning a championship, and they lost in the first round. The other 4 didn't even make it out of region. Plus, Russell is one of the best coaches ever in this state but at GCHS: 3 trips to state, 1 and done the last two times.

Not to mention that the #1 and #2 scorers in West TN are back, and they both play for other schools in 13AA. Best of luck to all our teams. There will be some exciting games this season.

Who were the #1 and #2 scorers in West T.

1.Chassidy Fussell of Obion & 2.Amber Rechis of Westview.

Westview has the talent that could beat Gibson County this year sometime over the course of the season. Westview has the best shooter in 13AA in my opinion in Rechis. Westview has alot of help in Grace Ann Swaim, Sara Olds, Brianna Pitcher and a good group of freshmen & sophmores. The loss of Campbell may hurt them sizewise but there is plenty of talent in the younger grades that will stepup.

As for Obion take Chassidy off that team and Obion might not make it out of the district. Chassidy Fussell can carry a team and let her get hot on a given night and Obion might make a run at Westview or Gibson but I dont think that will happen. Gibson County and Westview have to many weapons.

Gibson County still is the team to beat. Butler, Griffin & Reedy will all play college ball next year and I hope its close to home, Union or UTM would be a good fit for all of three. I dont think it really matters who the coach is this year at Gibson County because Gibson County is loaded. Coach Russell will do a great job but Kevin McMillan should still get alot of the credit for building this team.