halls vs. clinton 2009 week 0

hallsfan10

I thought the defense for Halls continued to look pretty quick and defended pretty well.

The offense appeared to struggle. However, it was against a very good defense.

It has been a tough week for this team. All things being considered, not a bad showing.

Is O’Laughlin hurt? He didn't get many carries and didn't run the 50 this year at halftime.

I don't know if he's hurt or not, but if not and this is the Halls coaches gameplan then they're crazy! They ought to be run out of town if they don't give O'Laughlin 20+ touches a game, or whatever 60-70% of the offensive plays per game would be, whether it's screens or whatever. The kid is the real deal and he had what, 1 play out of 9/10 that they called his number? That's just crazy! You can't really say it looked like they were working on something else either. It all looked like the same stuff as the previous years. Nothing new going on formation wise or playcalling wise.

Here's a question for you! Was O'Laughlin's run the only play Halls gained yards aside from the penalty? I guess they might've gained 1 or 2 yards on a fb dive looking play, but that won't cut it. I hate to say it just because the man is so old school, but bring Ward back. He at least seemed to work to get the ball to the best players. On top of that, move Kilgore back to RB coach. Last year was the only year I've seen the RBs for Halls block for each other in recent memory. The year before Halls only had one feature back really and the other wb blocked ok it seemed. Neither one of the current backs look like they know what blocking is this year. That RB block is huge for Halls offense. Obviously Hasel moving to QB coach has worked because the QBs have looked better this year than they ever have that I can remember. Even the two last night looked ok, just some jitters it looked like to me. If the situation remains status quo with how Halls is going to coach it then we better hope for everyone's off night and get a couple pick 6s per game.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Clinton/Halls series started back in 1932. The two teams have not played each other every year since then, but Clinton holds a 22-16-1 record against Halls even after Halls running off 9 wins in a row.

This year's game should be a good one! I think Clinton might have too many weapons, but with Hall's agressive defense....you never know. I will go ahead and pick my score, i say...................

Clinton 35 Halls 21

I am not a pessimist. I always thought I could win any game I played. Halls could win this game. But... I don't see Halls winning by scoring 36 points to beat Clinton 36-35. If Halls is to win, they will need to hold Clinton down closer to the under 20 range. I am not even sure Halls can score 21 on offense right now. They lost their starting QB and look slightly out of sync right now. The best RB is either injured or in the coach's doghouse. I confirmed last night that the best Halls kicker is suspended for the first 3 games. That is why he didn't kick in the halftime contest.

Still, the Halls defense is pretty good. For Halls to win, the defense may have to score some points. In my opinion the final score will have to be something like 14 - 7 or 15 - 14 for Halls to win. That will take being +2 on turnovers and Halls having 2 to 4 decent drives. It could happen, but..... I would say that Clinton winning 28 - 7 much more likely.

I thought the defense for Halls continued to look pretty quick and defended pretty well.

It has been a tough week for this team. All things being considered, not a bad showing.

Is O’Laughlin hurt? He didn't get many carries and didn't run the 50 this year at halftime.

I don't know if he's hurt or not, but if not and this is the Halls coaches gameplan then they're crazy! They ought to be run out of town if they don't give O'Laughlin 20+ touches a game, or whatever 60-70% of the offensive plays per game would be, whether it's screens or whatever. The kid is the real deal and he had what, 1 play out of 9/10 that they called his number? That's just crazy! You can't really say it looked like they were working on something else either. It all looked like the same stuff as the previous years. Nothing new going on formation wise or playcalling wise.

Here's a question for you! Was O'Laughlin's run the only play Halls gained yards aside from the penalty? I guess they might've gained 1 or 2 yards on a fb dive looking play, but that won't cut it. I hate to say it just because the man is so old school, but bring Ward back. He at least seemed to work to get the ball to the best players. On top of that, move Kilgore back to RB coach. Last year was the only year I've seen the RBs for Halls block for each other in recent memory. The year before Halls only had one feature back really and the other wb blocked ok it seemed. Neither one of the current backs look like they know what blocking is this year. That RB block is huge for Halls offense. Obviously Hasel moving to QB coach has worked because the QBs have looked better this year than they ever have that I can remember. Even the two last night looked ok, just some jitters it looked like to me. If the situation remains status quo with how Halls is going to coach it then we better hope for everyone's off night and get a couple pick 6s per game.

20+ really??? come on now.

keep in mind ole wes kitts only averaged 11 caries a game his senior year. To double that for an under sized junior would be crazy.

and no he wasnt hurt 3 is just faster then he is, I used to see the 2 run track and gibby beat him everytime.

20+ really??? come on now.

keep in mind ole wes kitts only averaged 11 caries a game his senior year. To double that for an under sized junior would be crazy.

and no he wasnt hurt 3 is just faster then he is, I used to see the 2 run track and gibby beat him everytime.

Yes 20+, Kitts didn't get enough touches. O'Laughlin is also better in the passing game than Kitts was, hence saying 20+touches and not 20+ carries. Also, you should see the 2 run now. O'Laughlin ran track as a freshman, but did not as a sophomore. You also should see the 2 standing beside one another. One has added muscle; the other, not so much. Let's also keep in mind that UT tried to get the ball to Leonard Scott because he was so "fast." What everyone forgets is that it's not how fast you are necessarily, but how well can you see the field. There's no question to 99.9% of people in East Tn who have a clue about football on who should be getting the ball majority of the time. O'Laughlin can do things you just can't teach.

My last point. Devron Young of Bearden was the main focus point for the Bulldogs last season. He was smaller than O'Laughlin last year. He got the ball 20+ times a game easy as an undersized sophomore.

I have an idea....................

How about letting the COACHES do what they are PAID to do and everyone else STFU and let them coach and the players learn.

Now, that is something that Halls could use as a change since everyone and their brother thinks they know more than the coaching staff's at Halls over the last 16+ years.

I have an idea....................

How about letting the COACHES do what they are PAID to do and everyone else STFU and let them coach and the players learn.

Now, that is something that Halls could use as a change since everyone and their brother thinks they know more than the coaching staff's at Halls over the last 16+ years.

I wasn't talking about the boys sizes I was answering someones question who asked why Gibson ran in the 50 yard dash instead of James.

and reddevilfever, I believe the whole purpose of these boards is for the fans to discuss and argue their opionions about their favorite high school teams. In no way are our comments affecting any coachs decisions. They got their jobs for a reason. As for all of us making comments and posts about our opionions, lighten up, its all just for fun.

FYI - O'laughlin averaged 17+ touches per game last year (over 170 total with 5 TD's). Look at the win - loss results. To get on on here and say anyone should get 90% of the offense is crazy.

- sx123 - O'laughlin was just a Soph last year and went through alot of growing pains. We all know that Gibson was better last year (less than 5 touches per game with 6 TD's), but that was last year. Look for O'laughlin to improve drastically over last year.

- Best play in the jamboree was a 12 yard slant to Greshakm. Why not get him 20+ touches per game or 90% of offense? Wait, Bright has looked really good in scrimmages, lets get him 20+ touches or 90% of offense. But what about Fitz and Burton? Not to mention the new Soph Long (who in my opinion is further along at this time than #6 was as a soph last year.

- How about this, spread the wealth between O'laughlin, Gibson, Gresham, Bright, Fitzy, Burton, Long, ect. Then maybe we can talk about the TEAM instead of PLAYERS.

- Let's get behind the coaches and players. They have worked hard and it appears to be showing. Tough break about Dowdey, but this team has to regroup.

- Zach D. , sorry about what happened and know I will be praying for you and your family. I have no doubt you will rebound (with the fine parents you have) and be a success in the game of life, which ultimately is the only game that matters.

I think Clinton should win this game. They are loaded with weapons at every skill position, and it appears that their defense will be much improved from last year. However, I can't help but be a little concerned that Clinton may be in the same position that Halls was last year--overhyped and overconfident. Around this time last year, everyone was discussing how Halls was the team that had the best chance to knock off Maryville. In fact, Halls played toe to toe with Maryville for three quarters before the Rebels ran away in the end. After that, Halls showed flashes, but they never lived up to their preseason expectations.

Clinton hasn't had this level of expectations in a long time. Because of a lack of expectations in the past few years, I worry that the Dragons may not know how to properly handle the expectations they now face. Thankfully, Webb brought Clinton down to earth a little bit in their scrimmage last week. Hopefully, that will stick in Clinton's mind and remind them that, though they are very talented, they cannot just "show up" and win ballgames. As long as the Dragons stay grounded, they should do great things this year.

Clinton 34 Halls 14