halls vs. clinton 2009 week 0

hallsfan10

ive never understood how anyone can say a player can be hurt by bad field conditions when the defense is also faced with the same bad footing, in my opinion it hurts both teams equally, the runner is limited in his cuts but the defense also faces footing problems when they try to adjust to any moves the runner is capable of pulling off, also as a former player i hated playing D on a rainy day because it made tackling and holding onto strong runners much harder. Both stone and weston are strong runners, especially weston who is up to a very solid 210 this year, i feel like a wet night shouldnt slow the dragons down much at all and i still expect a high scoring game. Stone is a great passer in the rain and should still be able to produce huge gains on screens and slants (clintons bread and butter) even if the rain is heavy and limits the long ball. The strength and size of TE chapman is also going to come in handy, his height and speed should create mismatches with the halls secondary and linebackers and his ability to get north to south will only be helped by slippery conditions, rain or no rain i still say its a blowout by clinton

Good point....I think the rain will make it a little closer than it would with no rain but i just think that weston is to strong of a runner for a small d line like Halls has. The kid just never gives up....I think Stone will be fine throwing in the game with rain. Chapman has some of the best hands i have ever seen come in high school and I really dont think he will have a promblem catching the ball. Halls players will have to wrap up because you can not arm tackle weston...he will just throw you off of him. Same goes for Chapman and Patrick... So how do you all think Patrick will do this year and will he be starting D? Also who is #3 i think he plays H back...He looked pretty fast in the scrimmages....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know how to read this one. Two years ago Stone and Hazelhurst gave a tough Maryville defense trouble. Stone's mobility and speed with Weston's power running where a great combination. Especially impressive was Stone's ability to evade pressure and throw mid-range passes (10-15 yards). The defense just couldn't stop Maryville's offense. If Clinton's defense is improved the combination could be fatal for the Red Devils.

Hall's offense was explosive last year, and tough to contain, as long as everybody was healthy. I hear the defensive line for Hall's will need to step up. Last year they held Maryville scoreless thru 3 quarters. No small feat! The loss of their field general will hurt the pass game but not the run which is their strength. The key will be containing Stone.

The wet field will hurt both teams (ball control) and Hall's field will be wet and sloppy. This will give an advantage to the team that can pound the rock. Kicking and field position will be critical. Whoever can get the short field will win the game.

The wet field will hurt Stone's mobility (depends on speed and quick cuts). I personally believe Hall's will play with inspiration and just a bit more discipline. Home field advantage makes me feel Hall's will win this one in a low scoring game.

Halls 13 Clinton 8

You must be kidding with this prediction. Half of Clinton's players are being recruited by D1 schools. The offense was explosive last year when this was a young team. Now that they are a year older I look for them to dominate the offensive side of the ball. The defense is much improved so stopping the 1 dimensional Halls offense shouldn't be a problem. If I were CHS I would stack the line and make them throw into the D1 secondary. This will be ugly...Clinton 35 Halls 7

ive never understood how anyone can say a player can be hurt by bad field conditions when the defense is also faced with the same bad footing, in my opinion it hurts both teams equally, the runner is limited in his cuts but the defense also faces footing problems when they try to adjust to any moves the runner is capable of pulling off, also as a former player i hated playing D on a rainy day because it made tackling and holding onto strong runners much harder. Both stone and weston are strong runners, especially weston who is up to a very solid 210 this year, i feel like a wet night shouldnt slow the dragons down much at all and i still expect a high scoring game. Stone is a great passer in the rain and should still be able to produce huge gains on screens and slants (clintons bread and butter) even if the rain is heavy and limits the long ball. The strength and size of TE chapman is also going to come in handy, his height and speed should create mismatches with the halls secondary and linebackers and his ability to get north to south will only be helped by slippery conditions, rain or no rain i still say its a blowout by clinton

Good point....I think the rain will make it a little closer than it would with no rain but i just think that weston is to strong of a runner for a small d line like Halls has. The kid just never gives up....I think Stone will be fine throwing in the game with rain. Chapman has some of the best hands i have ever seen come in high school and I really dont think he will have a promblem catching the ball. Halls players will have to wrap up because you can not arm tackle weston...he will just throw you off of him. Same goes for Chapman and Patrick... So how do you all think Patrick will do this year and will he be starting D? Also who is #3 i think he plays H back...He looked pretty fast in the scrimmages....

Patrick will do fine he is a warrior he starting at corner and will see alot of time at WR. # 3 is Dee Shannon the kid from Oak ridge he is a beast to Clinton to many weapons CHS 42 Halls 14

My oh my how some of you Clinton folks think like the Halls fans of yesteryear. It's a tough row to hoe when you've got those kinds of expectations. The first time things aren't going according to script watch out.

I would acknowledge that Clinton should be favored in this game, but I've been looking at some interesting stats. Despite all the hype surrounding Stone last year, it appears he completed less than 50% of his passes. Now, I'll be the first to say that he lit us up last year on two long throws, but they resulted from breakdowns in coverage that we're not likely to experience in our first game this year. Indeed, I think you'll be surprised at the success our DB's have in covering most of your receivers, with the possible exception of the big TE, who could in fact get some mismatches.

I predict a close game, but Halls pulls it out in the end by controlling the clock and relying on its running game. Final, 22-17, Halls.

My oh my how some of you Clinton folks think like the Halls fans of yesteryear. It's a tough row to hoe when you've got those kinds of expectations. The first time things aren't going according to script watch out.

I would acknowledge that Clinton should be favored in this game, but I've been looking at some interesting stats. Despite all the hype surrounding Stone last year, it appears he completed less than 50% of his passes. Now, I'll be the first to say that he lit us up last year on two long throws, but they resulted from breakdowns in coverage that we're not likely to experience in our first game this year. Indeed, I think you'll be surprised at the success our DB's have in covering most of your receivers, with the possible exception of the big TE, who could in fact get some mismatches.

I predict a close game, but Halls pulls it out in the end by controlling the clock and relying on its running game. Final, 22-17, Halls.

You all are talking about beating one weapon of Clinton's O...You have to stop it all. You can just stop stone, you have to stop weston. If Halls focus's on stopping just one player.....well we will all be leaving at halftime. Clinton is too loaded to just focus in on one player. Yes stone is good....but there are alot more dangerous weapons on that team and anyone of them will make plays. Now this could be a really good game tongiht but Halls will have to play extremly well and they can do that. So hopefully Halls and Clinton both bring there A game and we get to watch a great game tonight. Prediction Clinton 28 Halls 14

PS DB wins a Close one tongiht

You all are talking about beating one weapon of Clinton's O...You have to stop it all. You can just stop stone, you have to stop weston. If Halls focus's on stopping just one player.....well we will all be leaving at halftime. Clinton is too loaded to just focus in on one player. Yes stone is good....but there are alot more dangerous weapons on that team and anyone of them will make plays. Now this could be a really good game tongiht but Halls will have to play extremly well and they can do that. So hopefully Halls and Clinton both bring there A game and we get to watch a great game tonight. Prediction Clinton 28 Halls 14

PS DB wins a Close one tongiht

the kidd almost hit it on the head with this prediction, clinton wins 27-14, has a little bit of a rough time early, 7-7 at half, but came out determined in the 3rd and scored 20 unanswered points, halls did a good job of bottling up stone but never could slow down weston, 94 yards at the half, about 190 by the end with two scores in the 3rd quarter, austin powell also had some good runs, i figure he had around 60 yards to go with his TD, all in all a good effort by the dragons O but def some room for improvement, The dragons D did an amazing job pressuring the QB and came up with 3-4 sacks, hope the dragons can continue the improvement and get a huge win at DB next week. Good job boys and GO DRAGONS!!!

Here are some things i gathered from last nights game.....

1) Halls impressed me with their running game.

2) In the last three years... that is the most conservative game i have seen clinton play... The entire time i was wondering why they wouldnt let stone air it out.. The coaches must of saw something i didnt bc shattuck is quoted in the paper saying that running the ball was the game plan.

3) Clintons Biggest Weakness is their offensive line. Most of #2's yards came bc number 2 made them happen

4) Clinton Handled the Wing T okay.. Thats prob the hardest offense for clinton to cover...

The biggest question i have now is why was clinton so conservative last night? Hopefully that was by design rather than bc they have some how lost something over the last year.

Congrats to Clinton! Impressive run game! I really thought it would be closer. Clinton definitely capitalized on a short field. Keep your heads up Halls. A lot of season left. Who knows, you just might meet again in the playoffs.

Hazelhurst is a throwback, and as such he's really fun to watch. He has good speed for such a big kid and he punishes tacklers when they do manage to hit him.

Halls played a fantastic first half but shot themselves in the foot in the second half with all those turnovers. Props to Shattuck in recognizing that Halls' secondary is its strength and that he should continue to exploit the DL conservatively with the running game. A less seasoned and/or dumber coach would have tried to get too fancy and force things.

Here are some things i gathered from last nights game.....

1) Halls impressed me with their running game.

2) In the last three years... that is the most conservative game i have seen clinton play... The entire time i was wondering why they wouldnt let stone air it out.. The coaches must of saw something i didnt bc shattuck is quoted in the paper saying that running the ball was the game plan.

3) Clintons Biggest Weakness is their offensive line. Most of #2's yards came bc number 2 made them happen

4) Clinton Handled the Wing T okay.. Thats prob the hardest offense for clinton to cover...

The biggest question i have now is why was clinton so conservative last night? Hopefully that was by design rather than bc they have some how lost something over the last year.

According to the KNS Halls ran the ball 37 times for 87 yards or 2.35 yards per carry . . . that is not very impressive and they have to run the ball to be successful. I think Clinton may have just wanted to get Hazelhurst back involved after missing the bulk of last season. They will be balanced on offense and hopefully continue their improvement on defense.