Dissed by Kiffin

possum

Wow, he went there.

Do not agree, how many of these ranked studs end up duds because of the hype? Other than this web site most players do not get much recognition in the media. Kiffin fell a notch in my book over this statement from the Chattanoogan.

Unfortunately, in Tennessee, as much as we love our state, we do not have a lot of great high school players there. Those are the facts, those are the stats. This article pointed out the stuff we already researched when we took the job to develop a plan. The plan had to be we had to create national attention immediately. I don't think people give you four or five year plans any more, especially in this conference. None of you guys in here are going to say, If you're not winning in year two or three, let's give him a couple more years. That's not how it works, especially down here.

O wonder BJ Coleman left Tennesse, maybe he was not given a chance because he was from Tennessee. If Kiffin was really stat oreinted BJ would be the starting QB right now. That is the fact.

Very disapointed with his statement. Words like here, or down there, Yankee go home.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he told the truth. Compared to other states, Ex. Texas, Georgia, Florida, California, Ohio, how many D1 signees does the state have? People get mad at Kiffen because he says things many people think but will not say. He was on Florida, South Carolina, and Alabama because Fulmer let those guys push him around and take jabs and it ended up costing him recruits and his job. Kiffen may be too brash sometimes but it is his way or the highway and I will sit back and watch before I pass judgement. BJ, in my opinion, would have been the starter if he could have broken away from the other two. He left because he saw that Kiffen would bring in a QB and he would not play.

I think he told the truth. Compared to other states, Ex. Texas, Georgia, Florida, California, Ohio, how many D1 signees does the state have? People get mad at Kiffen because he says things many people think but will not say. He was on Florida, South Carolina, and Alabama because Fulmer let those guys push him around and take jabs and it ended up costing him recruits and his job. Kiffen may be too brash sometimes but it is his way or the highway and I will sit back and watch before I pass judgement. BJ, in my opinion, would have been the starter if he could have broken away from the other two. He left because he saw that Kiffen would bring in a QB and he would not play.

Brash being the key word, and it might be true like you say, however you don't come out and say something like that about the state you are representing in my opinion. What message does this send to the up and coming in state that are considering Tennessee. I Know if I was a team recruiting this state, Kiffin's statement would be one I would have in my tool bag to remind athletes while recruting. I love Tennessee, sorry that just rubs me the wrong way. BJ left because he knew Kiffin would bring in a big NAME QB like Cromptom to draw other recruits. If it works fine, his job is on the line. He just needs to learn to keep his mouth shut. If he is going to run his mouth to get recruits, man up and don't make excuses as to why you did it. Go Vols!

Glad to see Kiffin said what every true football fan knows. Maybe these kids can take the article and use it as a motivational tool. Tennessee is way behind when it comes to High Tier DI Talent. Not say we don't have DI talent, we just don't have the talent the top programs are looking for. Thats the facts, and give the man credit for being honest. B)

Kiffin's statement was true. He didn't say that there weren't any talent in Tennessee. He just stated Tennessee doesn't have the ablity to get all their players from instate. This has always been the case. Coach Neyland even went out of state to get most of his players. This is why Tennessee has the largest recruiting budget out of any school in the country. On the plus side Tennessee talent level is catching up but still way behind. The '11 class looks to be one of the deepest in state history. Coach Kiffin is recruiting Tennessee talent ,but you have to put SEC talent on the field.

Tennessee is more of a hotbed for basketball talent (and to a lesser extent, baseball) than football. I really don't have an explanation for this. When Tennessee DOES produce a highly touted prospect, they generally disappoint. Someone from a small school in West Tennessee who was ridiculously over-ranked by the services and is currently on the 4th string at UT at his position comes immediately to mind.

I have to agree with Kiffin on this. 1st, the depth of D1 talent in TN does not compare with TX,Fla, GA, or even Miss or LA. Most of the greats at UT came from elsewhere. If you look at Instate players Westmoreland, Moore, Henderson, James Stewart, etc. were all great players but the tops came from Ga, SC, and other places such as Haynesworth, Deon Grant, Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, etc. When UT is at their best they get the top few instate guys and pull the rest nation wide. As for BJ, I feel alot of people in the Chatt area look at him through rose-colored glasses because he is a local boy. Everyone thinks the next Andy Kelly. I saw him start the game this year and was not sold on him. He did more damage running than with his arm. Not saying the other two have sold me either b/c they have not! Just feel when two different coaching staffs do not have the confidence in you to make you the starter then maybe you are not a D-1 starting QB. Again my opinion. Hope BJ does well at UTC. Same thing happened with the QB from Maryville, Cade Thompson that signed with So. Carolina. He is now doing well at UT-Martin.

i think what hes saying is pretty obvious. not only does UT not go after a lot of tennessee players, but very few D1 schools go after tennessee players...its not just him.

I agree but.............

if all the little ones stop wanting ORANGE jerseys..............

then Mommy and Daddy might stop sending $$$$ up that way?

Be careful of the double edged sword and forked tongue. :roflolk:

I see Possum's point. If there are no kids from Tennessee on the team, I'm not as interested in watching. The years with Eric Westmoreland on the team were the best for me. I never missed a game.

Besides I enjoy watching the teams that do more with less anyway. Service academies top my list, Texas Tech and Boise State are also favorites. No one is saying the team should be exclusively Tennessee players but the state should be represented with more than a player or two, because what players from Tennessee bring is heart and that has been missing the last few years. Great story on heart herehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUq_ig5Wlgk&feature=spotlightNot

I've been following UT Football of almost 50 years.

Back when, most of the guys were from TN and grew up playing the "rivalry" games in their back yards as kids.

Fast forward.........Georgia, still has alot of GA players; Alabama/Auburn still have alot of AL players; Florida, still has alot of FL players; etc, etc.

Alot of these players on other teams understand the long, long rivalries.

A guy from California, just can't understand it and live it. :thumb: