Alcoa Regular Season Schedule Tougher in 2009

Based on the 2008 records of Alcoa's 2009 opponents, the 2009 regular season schedule is substantially tougher than in 2008. Of course, the strength of a particular team fluctuates from year to year, but the difference in winning percentage of opponents between the two years is so dramatic that the schedule has been upgraded.

2008 Records of 2008 Opponents

• 2-8 Spring Hill
    14-1 Maryville
    12-2 White House
    2-9 Booker T. Washington
    1-9 Wartburg
    2-9 Oliver Springs
    7-5 CAK
    4-6 Sweetwater
    4-6 Rockwood
    8-5 Loudon
    -------
    56 - 60

2008 Records of 2009 Opponents

• 15-0 Bell County, Ky
    14-1 Maryville
    8-5 Loudon
    8-4 Fulton
    5-5 Scott County
    9-2 Howard
    8-4 Kingston
    1-9 Stone Memorial
    9-2 McMinn Central
    7-5 CAK
    -------
    84 - 37

So, in Alcoa's case, reclassification and out-of-district scheduling has resulted in a pretty attractive schedule with much more competitive games and probably bigger crowds.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the 2008 records of Alcoa's 2009 opponents, the 2009 regular season schedule is substantially tougher than in 2008. Of course, the strength of a particular team fluctuates from year to year, but the difference in winning percentage of opponents between the two years is so dramatic that the schedule has been upgraded.

• 2-8 Spring Hill
    14-1 Maryville
    12-2 White House
    2-9 Booker T. Washington
    1-9 Wartburg
    2-9 Oliver Springs
    7-5 CAK
    4-6 Sweetwater
    4-6 Rockwood
    8-5 Loudon
    -------
    56 - 60

• 15-0 Bell County, Ky
    14-1 Maryville
    8-5 Loudon
    8-4 Fulton
    5-5 Scott County
    9-2 Howard
    8-4 Kingston
    1-9 Stone Memorial
    9-2 McMinn Central
    7-5 CAK
    -------
    84 - 37

So, in Alcoa's case, reclassification and out-of-district scheduling has resulted in a pretty attractive schedule with much more competitive games and probably bigger crowds.

...When the F-5 comes to Chattanooga(Howard), I believe it will be SRO...the crowd should be larger than when Alcoa played at McCallie a few years ago!!!

• 2-8 Spring Hill
    14-1 Maryville
    12-2 White House
    2-9 Booker T. Washington
    1-9 Wartburg
    2-9 Oliver Springs
    7-5 CAK
    4-6 Sweetwater
    4-6 Rockwood
    8-5 Loudon
    -------
    56 - 60

• 15-0 Bell County, Ky
    14-1 Maryville
    8-5 Loudon
    8-4 Fulton
    5-5 Scott County
    9-2 Howard
    8-4 Kingston
    1-9 Stone Memorial
    9-2 McMinn Central
    7-5 CAK
    -------
    84 - 37

...When the F-5 comes to Chattanooga(Howard), I believe it will be SRO...the crowd should be larger than when Alcoa played at McCallie a few years ago!!!

It's a shame that Alcoa can't play better competition closer to home. Even though this schedule is much better than last year's. The problem is no one wants to play them. Kudos to Fulton and Howard for stepping up to the plate. The only way you get better is by playing better competition. Example Alcoa has stepped up there game to compete against Maryville. So, I'm calling out all East Tennessee teams that won't play them. DB, Farragut, Bearden, Catholic, Ooltewah, and Oak Ridge. An Alcoa match-up with any of these teams would draw a huge gate. Not only that but it would probably help there programs in the long run. dry.gif

is alcoa gettin ready for bell?everyone up in this area especially over in kentucky thinks that bell is gonna handle alcoa no problem,that they could beat pretty much anyone in tenn,they think they r bigger,stronger and faster and just overall tougher than alcoa,i talked to a kid the other day that plays for bell and he said alcoa didnt impress him at all.please alcoa,prove them wrong...in hard and physical way :angry:

I love the tougher schedule. It was hard to get into games after halftime with the scores already 35+ to nothing. In the last couple of seasons Alcoa's schedule was typically tougher at the beginning and got softer as the regular season schedule played out. IMO, this was actually tougher on the team having to adjust to better competition in the play-offs. This years team is physical and has the depth to play this schedule and be better prepared to make a championship run in the playoffs. It going be a fun season! :angry:

You've got to be joking,,, Howard brings more band members to a home game than fans.

Alcoa will have more fans travel 100 miles to get there than Howard will have walk across the street to be there.

is alcoa gettin ready for bell?everyone up in this area especially over in kentucky thinks that bell is gonna handle alcoa no problem,that they could beat pretty much anyone in tenn,they think they r bigger,stronger and faster and just overall tougher than alcoa,i talked to a kid the other day that plays for bell and he said alcoa didnt impress him at all.please alcoa,prove them wrong...in hard and physical way :thumb:

I actually like the fact that Bell County thinks their going to handle us. There is one thing for sure, they have never seen the speed that Alcoa will throw at them this year. Does anyone know how many starter Bell Co return from their team last year?

is alcoa gettin ready for bell?everyone up in this area especially over in kentucky thinks that bell is gonna handle alcoa no problem,that they could beat pretty much anyone in tenn,they think they r bigger,stronger and faster and just overall tougher than alcoa,i talked to a kid the other day that plays for bell and he said alcoa didnt impress him at all.please alcoa,prove them wrong...in hard and physical way :thumb:

I actually like the fact that Bell County thinks their going to handle us. There is one thing for sure, they have never seen the speed that Alcoa will throw at them this year. Does anyone know how many starter Bell Co return from their team last year?

Here is Bell County's 2008 roster. 48 total players, 13 seniors. Looks like they lost a Senior QB, and four senior RB's and a kicker.

Just have them say G A R Y R A N K I N real slow, take a deep breath and they will come back to reality.