west rebels vs. south rebels

westrebel2012

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The biggest difference between Knox West and Sullivan South heading into this game is what the coaching staffs and players have been exposed to in recent years. West has been bathed in mediocrity while South has been a conference champion and deep playoff contender for 4 consecutive years. It does not matter how much experience you have returning if they are not "winners" in a winning program. As Billy Preston used to sing "Nothing From Nothing Leaves Nothing".

The biggest difference between Knox West and Sullivan South heading into this game is what the coaching staffs and players have been exposed to in recent years. West has been bathed in mediocrity while South has been a conference champion and deep playoff contender for 4 consecutive years. It does not matter how much experience you have returning if they are not "winners" in a winning program. As Billy Preston used to sing "Nothing From Nothing Leaves Nothing".

West has made it to the 2nd round of the playoffs for the past three years. Two of their three 2nd round losses were to Maryville and one was to a 12-1 Red Bank team that lost to Maryville the very next week. Region 3-4A was a lot tougher than the MLC.

I know it's never really a good idea to compare scores or anything, but remember back in '05 and '06 when Mo'West had really good teams that made it to the 4A semifinals? Other than their losses to Maryville during those years, Knox West played the Trojans closer than any other team that year. The Mo' West team that defeated South 48-20 barely squeaked one out against Knox West, winning by two or three points. The very next year Mo'West won by a touchdown or less. Knox West lost 5 or 6 games both of those years. Now you could argue that Mo West was mostly one dimensional during those two years, but in my opinion they were superior to the South teams during those years.

I don't give South a real shot in this game, after all they don't have much success west of Morristown. If their is one thing in South's favor it will be the fact that they play Knox.West early before they play in region games and get used to the speed and athleticism down their. Farragut, Bearden and Maryville, imagine playing that schedule. Let's face it, that region is just better. South and DB fans will probably both have a long ride home in week #0. But, stranger things have happened. Roll Tribe Roll.............

You don't get out much do you. :ph34r:

Honestly how could you compare the two teams schedule strength west each year has a tough schedule and still makes playoffs while south plays primarily nobodies. I am not trying to say that west will slaughter them or anything but they will pull out the win by double digits

West- 27 South- 17 with south scoring late.

Honestly how could you compare the two teams schedule strength west each year has a tough schedule and still makes playoffs while south plays primarily nobodies. I am not trying to say that west will slaughter them or anything but they will pull out the win by double digits

I liked the post that hit the board this afternoon from a poster that simply said: West is a 5-5 team. Funny though Knox West has a cumulative 5 year record of 30 -27,MUCH BETTER than a .500 winning percentage. What's that you say? Tough schedule? Oh yea. Last year in the regular season you beat 4 teams and only 1 had a winning record at the end of the year. It doesn't matter who you lost to . Who can you beat? Clinton by 4?

We are expecting a close ,hard fought game.South fans respect Knoxville football and look forward to the challenge of playing West. To say you are going to be great because you have 17 starters back is silly. I hope UT is great this year because our offensive line and QBs are returning. Get the point?

I liked the post that hit the board this afternoon from a poster that simply said: West is a 5-5 team. Funny though Knox West has a cumulative 5 year record of 30 -27,MUCH BETTER than a .500 winning percentage. What's that you say? Tough schedule? Oh yea. Last year in the regular season you beat 4 teams and only 1 had a winning record at the end of the year. It doesn't matter who you lost to . Who can you beat? Clinton by 4?

We are expecting a close ,hard fought game.South fans respect Knoxville football and look forward to the challenge of playing West. To say you are going to be great because you have 17 starters back is silly. I hope UT is great this year because our offensive line and QBs are returning. Get the point?

...yea... I mean... .500 winning percentage is drastically worse than being 30-27.... such a huge difference and all.

South's defense will be good this year, you can ask anybody that, the only thing I question will be the offense. I've heard good and bad, but I guess we'll soon find out!

i can see how you thinkk that put i personally think the south rebs wont be able to handle west rebs running game

Switch that around- West Rebs won't be able to handle South Rebs' running game.

Are you talking about "running backs" or "running of the mouth" ? :lol:

Hey Wac are you doing okay? You must be feeling better.

by jhilts » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:39 pm

As much as I hate to...realistically...

Knox West wins 30-20.

South Defensive Backfield is beat badly early to put South on their heels all night.

West puts everybody on BT and neither South QB can get anything going.

South finally wears them down up front in the second half, but it is too little too late.

Hoping I have to use the edit button before kickoff.

Revised:

West has a running game (who knew) to fit in nicely with a "not quite speedy or ready" South secondary. They break a couple of long ones early before South settles into the game.

Still, as much as I hate to say it, West wins 30-20. :thumb: