Cheatham County Cubs @ Smith County Owls

BoardHater71

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just saying....I am interested in seeing how much the Tigers have improved in a year and how they handle the Owls' offense. I wonder what they wanted SC to do...kick a FG...and how is that any better at "not running it up"?

I'm just as interested as you are. Fairview is the only competition they've had in the preseason, and they didn't look too good in that one. And, I don't think I was badmouthing CC, I was just pointing out aspects of their game. Basically, them being outmatched all over the field. You said the same thing about our coaches last year.

As far as the issue of SC running up the score, I agree with you. I'm not going to take my 2nd or 3rd team offense off the field to try a field goal that's nothing more than an extra point.

I would like to start out this post by saying THANK YOU VERY MUCH to the people from Carthage for being such great hosts to us tonight. You guys have a great football team and a possible playoff matchup between you and Alcoa down the road would be well worth attending. Best wishes the rest of the way!

Cheatham just lost their starting 1,000 yard back last weekend in the jamboree and right now on offense there is no "experienced" plan B. It is very similar to 2007 when the Cubs started out the season 0-6. They finally gained playing experience and won 4 straight late in the season to make the playoffs as a #4 seed. Early in the year though it was a serious uphill climb with all of that youth on the field.

Here is a list of players that saw a lot of action on defense alone tonight:

#34 Randall Greer (senior)

#53 Jameson Ragsdale (senior)

#31 Brady White (senior)

#78 Tanner Owen (junior)

#23 Dre' Jock (junior)

#6 Michael Ghist (junior)

#7 Jack Matlock (junior)

#21 Sam Matlock (junior)

#51 Devin Corter (sophomore)

#13 Lance Dowlen (sophomore)

#44 Grady Chipman (sophomore)

#12 Alex Vargas (sophomore)

#71 Seth Hastings (sophomore)

#65 Scottie Gaines (freshman)

#33 Dakota White (freshman)

#11 Mitchell Potts (freshman)

#4 Thomas T. Owen (freshman)

#5 Josh Weakes (freshman)

#14 Devin Conner (freshman)

#2 Brady Bose (freshman)

Outside of the guys who I have BOLDED not a single one of those guys has ever seen meaningful time as a starter on Friday night. Not anywhere close. It was a real challenge for them to go out and play against a team with as much experience as Smith County has on their football team this year. No question about it. In the end though I can not question the effort that the guys gave until the end. Stopping the Owls on a 3 yard field late in the game shows that they never "quit" or "packed it in" and Antwan is 100% right when he credits that to the kind of coaches we have.

This Cubs team is very similar to that 2007 team. If you look at that Cubs team's schedule you'll see that they only played 1 OUT OF THEIR FIRST 6 OPPONENTS to a close game during that 0-6 start.....Gordonsville. Ironically that was a Gordonsville team that was loaded by G'Ville standards. #15 & #23 off of that team were very tough kids. The final score to that game was 27-21. So unless that year's Gordonsville team is just leaps & bounds better than that quarterfinal bunch from '07 I don't believe that I would say that they are "much better" than Cheatham County.

This game will help out the Cubs because the experience is what matters to those young guys right now and as long as they are gaining experience and playing hard that is all the coaching staff can ask for. I promise you that the Cubs will only learn from this game and that in October we'll be laughing about it in Ashland City because by that time it will be a completely different group of guys because they will have gained experience. It is hard to play when you are playing pretty much 15 freshmen level guys on defense and on offense you are without your back and your quarterback is a 1st time ever starter. Reece Hunter will learn from this experience and only get better from it in the future. The same goes for everyone on this team.

Glad you guys had a safe trip. Your team played hard the entire game. You are right, a trip to the Hole could help the Cubs grow up a bit. #15 has great size for a sophomore. Your line played tough. We'll be out to your place next year. We travel well and will need quite a bit of space. When does your radio tape delay air?