Cheatham County Cubs @ Smith County Owls

BoardHater71

Next week is when high school football kicks off for the 2009 season and I am eager because on the night of August 21st I will make a trip to "The Hole" in Carthage to see the Cheatham County Cubs take on the Smith County Owls. Both of these teams are eager to enter the 2009 season after the end of the 2008 season ended badly for both. The Cubs failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 2001 and the Owls won a region title and then got stunned in the second round of the playoffs on their own homefield by Marion County. It should make for a very exciting evening of high school football and will definitely be a great way to bring in the 2009 season for both schools.

Within the next week a game preview (with notes about coaches and players) will be uploaded on the Cheatham County Cubs Football Fan Page. Tomorrow night around this time the scrimmage notes from the preseason against Springfield, Hickman County, & David Lipscomb plus all player and coaches photos will be uploaded onto the website. You can visit the site at http://www.cheathamcubsfanpage.com/fb for more information.

Hope both teams are able to remain healthy tomorrow evening in their final preseason scrimmages before both teams play in their respective jamborees on Saturday night :ugeek:

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Smith County will play hard it seems that they do every year. This will be a good game to start out 09!

To my knowledge this is the first time these two teams have played each other. I know that the Cubs will be coming to SC fired up and wanting to win. I look for a hard fought game and I am looking forward to the battle. Welcome to the HOLE!!

The 2 schools played in 1975 & 1976 and the Owls won both contests by scores of 8-6 & 14-0. Sorry I didn't get the info uploaded onto the website last night. I will aim to get it all posted tonight.

The Cubs competed very hard and got after it yesterday in a scrimmage against David Lipscomb. There were a few mistakes that can be corrected however if the team plays with that kind of intensity and effort then I will love the results that this year will bring.

David Lipscomb was, as always, a class act yesterday. Best of luck to the Mustangs again this year :D

I hope the Owls were able to get in some good work and stay injury free yesterday at D.C.A.

County rivial Harpeth played Smith County in 1997 and 1998...with the 1997 game being a real barn burner at HHS and the Indians winning 28-20. The 1998 at Carthage was a blow out in favor of the Indians again. ^_^

Those two seasons are part of a time period that isn't one of the greatest for Smith Co. Football. So, you definitely can't base anything off those two years. The coaching staff is much improved from that time.

I don't look for Smith Co. to have a problem in this game. Cheatham was very experienced last year, and I was surprised how their season turned out. But, no one will know how it turns out until it's played.

I will be on the home side, but I'm sorry to let the Owl fans down because I just can't wear black and gold, I'll be wearing blue. :lol:

We may just have to ask you pay double for your choice of wardrobe!! LOL Sit down front with us.

I don't believe I've missed an SC game when Gville wasn't playing the past five years, which has been more than I wanted. If I have to pay double, I'll expect the same when the shoe's on the other foot. ^_^

I've been to Gville several times qhen the Black and Gold haven't been in action. We may be in a minority that do that, though. This year I will be in Alabama during SC off week to see if UT can get it done down there. Will probably also take in a game at Hoover or somewhere in the area that there is a big game.