Cheatham County Cubs @ Smith County Owls

BoardHater71

Hate to hear of any injury to our young uns. Hope Cheatham Co. Gets to Carthage healthy and ready to go. If the young man turns out to be down, hope he makes a full and speedy recovery!!!

Howdy I hate to hear about your TB going down. All I have heard about the young man was that he was a heck of a player and a good kid to go with it. Yes, we have gone thru the same thing, our TB going down, along with a valued lineman to go down. Just have to step it up and others give the extra 20% to make up for the loss. Please pass on to him that the SC faithful wish him well and hopefully he will be able to return this season.

Never underestimate the HOLE !!!!!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SC got what they've been needing in their jamboree...a physical team that was determined to pound them into the ground. After a quarter and a half, the Owls decided to answer the bell. The Owls won't see a team that physical until deep into the playoffs...if lucky enough to get that far. It was nice to see the Owls rise to the challenge with a couple minutes left. A jamboree is just a "dress rehearsal" but it turned out to be a great work day for the Owl bunch. I hope the teams on our schedule don't have kickoff teams like Cookeville did...they were impressive to me.

After the Owls were able to get correct persuit angles and adjust to Cavs team speed, they did extremely well. Shut Cavs down and came back to score with 00 left on clock. Cavs have big time QB, TB, two receivers and LB. Very impressed with their team speed.

Another good point from this scrimage, SC had 84 players dressed out and every one of them got to play.

I really liked the new "jamboree". Every kid got to play. The freshmen and JV got some good work. The starters got some good work against a quality team. Even the powder puff game was enjoyable. AND I think both teams made a little money. Much more than they would have made in a jamboree with other teams involved. I don't think Cookville was expecting such a large crowd for a jamboree from lil ole Smith Co.. I would bet this will set a trend once others start putting a pencil to the numbers ($).

I really liked the new "jamboree". Every kid got to play. The freshmen and JV got some good work. The starters got some good work against a quality team. Even the powder puff game was enjoyable. AND I think both teams made a little money. Much more than they would have made in a jamboree with other teams involved. I don't think Cookville was expecting such a large crowd for a jamboree from lil ole Smith Co.. I would bet this will set a trend once others start putting a pencil to the numbers ($).

Termite I totally agree - teams who travel well will be in high demand.

Thanks for the kind words about Shaun everyone. He is really taking this hard and I am sure he can't wait to get started with rehab and get back on the field one year from now. It's going to be a long road but he is a great young man with a work ethic that is unbelievable. He will push through and at the same time support his team this season as well.

As for the Cubs this season they must realize that setbacks do occur and every team has to overcome them at one point or another. Our coaching staff does a great job with the guys and I am sure they'll find a way to put the right players in situations to allow this season to be successful. When Cheatham County gets off of the bus on Friday evening they will come to win, end of story. Coach Finley is a very good coach when it comes to x's & o's but he is a master when it comes to getting the most out of his players in terms of effort. The Cubs will still do what they do and I expect that the guys will do it well. On offense the line is going to have to take more responsibility and come ready to fire off of the football to allow the backs to be successful. While it is unreasonable to expect the nest back to be exactly like Shaun Montgomery it is reasonable to expect a back to get in there and run hard and punish defenders. I would not expect the Cubs to do anything different than they've always done. Run the football and shorten the game and on defense be tough up front and make big plays when they come your way in the secondary. On special teams the guys have to be sound and not make errors to put themselves in bad situations.

I can't wait to get to Carthage on Friday evening because I know that the Cubs will come ready to play and they will play hard for both Shaun Montgomery & Brandon Walker (a 2003 graduate of CCCHS who was tragically killed in an accident at work). This Friday will be 2 weeks from the morning of his death. Please keep the Walker family in your prayers also as they are going through tougher times than any of us could probably imagine at this point in their lives.

Thanks reddevil44! I will send you an e-mail later this evening when I get a chance to sit down and relax. I stopped by practice today and the team was getting after it out there. You could tell the focus was being more physical after the jamboree performance last weekend. 95 hours away :popcorneater:

Give us a little insight on how the jamboree and scrimmages went for Cheatham County.

Thanks reddevil44! I will send you an e-mail later this evening when I get a chance to sit down and relax. I stopped by practice today and the team was getting after it out there. You could tell the focus was being more physical after the jamboree performance last weekend. 95 hours away :thumb:

Give us a little insight on how the jamboree and scrimmages went for Cheatham County.

In the Springfield scrimmage the guys came out offensively on the first 2 posessions and looked sharp driving the length of the field and scoring with ease. After the second series there was a storm delay for about 45 minutes and when the teams came back out onto the field there was little question that Springfield came back out with much more intensity and played with more effort on both sides of the football.

In the Hickman County scrimmage at the start Hickman had a long run and then scored on the next play then on the next series the Bulldogs forced a turnover and they scored again on 4th & Goal. Following this though it was a scrimmage that Cheatham County dominated. The Cubs scored 3 times and really never allowed the Bulldogs to do anything on offense for the remainder of the scrimmage.

In the David Lipscomb scrimmage the Cubs again started out moving the ball well on offense. They didn't score at first after they had 2 long possessions that ended with fumbles deep in Mustangs territory. David Lipscomb scored on a couple of long runs and then they scored again on a pass. The Cubs finally put together a complete drive for a score and with the starters the final tally was 3-1 in favor of Lipscomb.

In the Jo Byrns jamboree the Cubs defense looked lost and out of it. Jo Byrns was able to do hatever they wanted on offense and the Cubs seemed lost for the entire contest. On offense the Cubs put together a couple of long drives. The opening drive ended inside the Red Devils 5 yard line with a sack and the final drive ended with a touchdown. Jo Byrns was victorious in the jamboree 21-7 and really they whipped the Cubs thoughout the contest.

As you can see the preseason has been very demanding and has produced some highs and some lows for a very young football team. The Smith County game is going to be a great opening test and instead of the win/loss result I just am anxious to see how our guys respond to playing in such an atmosphere against a very good football team. I am more worried about district play in reality but I am still anxious to see how our guys fare and I am sure the coaches and players will be ready and come wanting to win the game.

There is now a "Question & Answer" segment with the Cubs football seniors and also a "recap" to last weekend's jamboree posted on the Cheatham County Cubs Football Fan Page. You can visit by going to http://www.cheathamcubsfanpage.com/fb to view these stories. Tonight a preview of the Smith County Owls will be posted on the website. You can fin it by clicking on the main link titled "Cubs Friday Night" and then going to "Marcus Rich's Weekly Game Notes".