Powell vs South Doyle

osunut2

Powell played surprisingly well against Catholic in the jamboree, which should give the Panthers a little bit of confidence (even though it was a glorified scrimmage). The Cherokees have former Panther head coach Clark Duncan at the helm, which gives South Doyle an instant upgrade in the coaching department. I expect SD to be slightly improved, but just how much is the bigger question. The Cherokees won 4 games last year, but were destroyed at Powell last fall (52-25 I think). Also, what can we expect out of the Panthers, now that Kier Houston has graduated? On paper, Deshawn Mobley is the key for the Panthers, with Houston gone. What are your thoughts on Friday night's matchup?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Powell takes this one 24-14. AC scrimmaged South-Doyle twice. While Duncan will if he sticks around eventually build S-D into a program that will be a perennial candidate to win its district, those days are a little ways down the road. A friend whose sons play there told me that the numbers this year practically doubled, which shows what a little coaching excitement can generate.

So, what's the deal with Powell's QB situation? Is Hodge still hurt? Will McPhetridge start this Friday?

Powell takes this one 24-14. AC scrimmaged South-Doyle twice. While Duncan will if he sticks around eventually build S-D into a program that will be a perennial candidate to win its district, those days are a little ways down the road. A friend whose sons play there told me that the numbers this year practically doubled, which shows what a little coaching excitement can generate.

So, what's the deal with Powell's QB situation? Is Hodge still hurt? Will McPhetridge start this Friday?

From what I've heard, Hodge should be ready to go Friday night, but don't quote me on that. HTV, what have you heard regarding Hunter Hodge?

From what I've heard, Hodge should be ready to go Friday night, but don't quote me on that. HTV, what have you heard regarding Hunter Hodge?

Hunter is cleared to practice. At this point, I don't know anything more than that.

I believe Hodge should be ready to go.

I don't think you should "hang your hat" on Mobley, not just yet anyway

Not enough ammo at S. Doyle to beat Powell, unless the penalty, turnover, and special teams bug bites

Much needed morale boost from the jamboree for the players, coaches, and fans

Good luck and best wishes for a great season

As a Sullivan South fan who attended the Powell / Sullivan South scrimmage last week, I was very surprised when I saw Powell "beat" Catholic in the Jamboree. Not trying to be mean, but Powell did not play well in its scrimmage against South. They did not move the ball much at all. They tried to throw the ball a lot but could not connect much. The defense looked better than the offense as they did get a coulpe of nice stops but South scored on at least 5 drives. Perhaps Powell had some players out or were just having a bad day but based on what I saw I would say SD has a shot! Of course, I would have also picked Catholic in the jamboree so what do I know. Apparently, Powell has improved greatly in the past week or so.

As a Sullivan South fan who attended the Powell / Sullivan South scrimmage last week, I was very surprised when I saw Powell "beat" Catholic in the Jamboree. Not trying to be mean, but Powell did not play well in its scrimmage against South. They did not move the ball much at all. They tried to throw the ball a lot but could not connect much. The defense looked better than the offense as they did get a coulpe of nice stops but South scored on at least 5 drives. Perhaps Powell had some players out or were just having a bad day but based on what I saw I would say SD has a shot! Of course, I would have also picked Catholic in the jamboree so what do I know. Apparently, Powell has improved greatly in the past week or so.

Powell definitely has not performed particularly well in their scrimmages, but the jamboree was a pleasant surprise. Having to replace Kier Houston and a couple of star wideouts was going to be a pretty big task, which explains the growing pains. Their performance against Catholic should give them a lift, although I don't expect them to dominate SD. I think Powell will come out on top in a close game, 27-13. A win will definitely help these guys get ready for Fulton in Week 1.